Hi HCAGers! A Semi NGD!

Glenn F

• Members

Hi, everyone,

:wave:

Been a long time. I hope everyone here is doing well. I'd been waiting for a Danelectro 12 string, which didn't seem it was going to make it to Thomann any time soon, so I went to the local shop and tried this;

It is a 'Del Ray Fab 12.' :lol:

• Members

Hi Samilyn,

Nice to see you, too. Hope you have things on the right track, these days! This guitar is pretty impressive, for what it is. I've never actually played a real Ricky, so I can't compare, but I know what my fingers and ears tell me.

Jamesp,

I ran through my repertoire of electric 12 string songs at the shop, and Turn! Turn! Turn! was, naturally, amongst them. When I played 'Mr. Tambourine Man' for my wife, she said: "so that's what they play on that!"

This guitar is almost exactly 1/8th the cost of a Rickenbacker 360/12 here. I doubt very much if it is 1/8th the guitar.

Eight Miles High.... :thu:

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members
Hi Samilyn,

Nice to see you, too. Hope you have things on the right track, these days! This guitar is pretty impressive, for what it is. I've never actually played a real Ricky, so I can't compare, but I know what my fingers and ears tell me.

Jamesp,

I ran through my repertoire of electric 12 string songs at the shop, and Turn! Turn! Turn! was, naturally, amongst them. When I played 'Mr. Tambourine Man' for my wife, she said: "so
that's
what they play on that!"

This guitar is almost exactly 1/8th the cost of a Rickenbacker 360/12 here. I doubt very much if it is 1/8th the guitar.

Eight Miles High....
:thu:

Cheers!

Glenn

Yup - My life is on a good track at last.

That really is a great looking git, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. I've never played a Rick either, and I love my roomie's Dano, so there's really no point in gassing for a Rick anymore.

Interestingly, Ricks get mixed reviews. After reading this thread, I think you'll be even happier with your Del Ray.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2447197

• Members

Yup - My life is on a good track at last.

That really is a great looking git, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. I've never played a Rick either, and I love my roomie's Dano, so there's really no point in gassing for a Rick anymore.

Interestingly, Ricks get mixed reviews. After reading this thread, I think you'll be even happier with your Del Ray.

Hi Samilyn,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. Things have been a tad difficult here for me, health-wise, and the Del-Ray was my little reward to myself for getting through a tough 6 months.

It is interesting about the real Rickenbacker 12s. I was reading another thread at another forum, wherein a luthier says they are a pain in the ass. This Del-Ray has a, I think, 1.75" nut, and though my large-ish fingers are tripping over themselves a little bit, it is just a question of getting used to the guitar. It is, so far, staying in tune surprisingly well, and sounds, well, 'Fab!' If the Ricky was in the

• Members

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words, everyone!

Sixgunner: that is basically how the Rickenbacker strings are set up. It is also, on this guitar, a design flaw, because the truss rod cover will most certainly make restringing a bit of a PITA. I'll probably either remove it, or I'll have my luthier trim it.

Philo426: I think there are just enough differences between this and a real Ricky to prevent a lawsuit. The headstock is not exactly the same, the neck width and depth, from what I've read, are not the same; the F hole is slightly different; the tailpiece is different; the strings are set up in a normal 12 string fashion (something I am thinking of changing) rather than how Rickenbacker does it. I assume that the body proportions are not exactly the same, as well. Unfortunately, I am unable to post any clips at this time, but I can tell you that the sound is a pretty darned authentic Byrds/Beatles/Petty sound. I've been playing it through my Peavey Classic 30, and I am impressed. It is also one of the only guitars that I've bought at this shop where I didn't have second thoughts once I brought her home. That worries me, lol! They have a lot of neglected guitars on their walls, but they just got a shipment of these guitars in recently. I tried out 3 of them, and the first one, in the showroom, was the best of them all. My major concern is the neck. It is a 2 octave set neck, so I have visions of it snapping off.

An interesting thing about these guitars; I can't find one word about them in a google search! I come across Teisco Del Ray, but they went out of business in the 60's. Nowhere have I found out who makes them, and this shop is the only one I've seen selling them. Maybe they make them in their basement? I also tried a Del Ray dreadnought a couple of years ago, and it was surprisingly good for the money, certainly in the same league as an Epi Masterbilt or a Seagull, with the exception that the Del Ray was solid wood, whereas the lower end Seagulls are not.

Anyways, the action is very good, it sounds great, is properly intonated, and it holds its tuning surprisingly well. If it holds up for even a few years, it will be a bargain at

Archived