VOM 21 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

I have a question: I just got a digital recorder, and set up a soundclick account, all ready to start posting but was stymied by this: "As soon as you've uploaded at least one song, your page will be approved within 24 hours. Your music will then hit the charts one day later. There's no limit of song uploads. Please respect copyrights! Upload ONLY original or properly licensed material. "

Does this mean that I can ONLY post original material on Soundclick? I had recorded a couple of songs (Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, RHCP) and was interested in posting them for VOM but was stopped by this. If I were to post these songs on Soundclick, would I be haunted by the Ghost of Michael Jackson -- or even worse his lawyers????

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frets99...you must be a player out in public...you know how to present a song. Real nice.

Riovine...your good!

pschaafs...representing No. Cal. quite well. I liked the way you played this.

Samilyn...Creepy Halloween good...what a cool sound you get from that 12 string. Seemed a bit to close to the mic. Great job!!

• Members

Samilyn
...Creepy Halloween good...what a cool sound you get from that 12 string. Seemed a bit to close to the mic. Great job!!

I really enjoy experimenting to see what kinds of sounds this 12-er will give me. I love this git.

Close to the mic? Hmmmm. Git was plugged directly into the Fostex recorder, but my face was indeed too close to the mic. Problem with this bronchitis is that I'm still kinda struggling for air, hence volume, and moved in closer to the mic than normal.

• Members

Here's the start of my review... I listened to all but this is what i had the time today to put down to "paper" :)

brahmz118 Man, great picking technique. I loved it, and I rarely say that about ABBA ;)

illinihoops I can't believe you recorded this with a damn phone. Wow. Nice composition btw!

fatback I am loving the quality of the fingerpicked music this month, especially yours. Wow.

RogueGnomeLovely tune I didn't know. Thanks for opening me to new music.

Verence Ever noticed you can spell dark with Drake? :) Glad to have you back!

FussenKuh Wow, GNR, there's a song I hadn't thought about in a long time! :) That Epi sounds really good. Specs?

tbryson Not a Beatles fan, but that's a great tune right there. Good job! Singing harmonies, too...

chriscarnucci Original compositions are great, and so perfect for VOMs. I wish I had the talent. Great job, man!

garthman I am a big fan of your voice man. So distinctive, great timbre. Another strong entry from you this month.

• Members

Some great tunes this month! REally enjoyed them. I was going to make a submission, but everything I tried sounded awful! Felt musically brain dead yesterday morning. Luckily I broke away from it by the afternoon at my regular jam. Next time I will try not to wait till the last minute to record. The talent around here is awesome, thanks for the good tunes
Bob

• Members

tbryson
Not a Beatles fan, but that's a great tune right there. Good job! Singing harmonies, too...

Not a Beatles fan!!...where is that blacklist?...somebody talk to this blackhat hunter:poke:

Maybe thats why I don't see any at 3 Chord Git:)

• Members

I have a question: I just got a digital recorder, and set up a soundclick account, all ready to start posting but was stymied by this: "As soon as you've uploaded at least one song, your page will be approved within 24 hours. Your music will then hit the charts one day later. There's no limit of song uploads. Please respect copyrights! Upload ONLY original or properly licensed material. "

Does this mean that I can ONLY post original material on Soundclick? I had recorded a couple of songs (Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, RHCP) and was interested in posting them for VOM but was stopped by this. If I were to post these songs on Soundclick, would I be haunted by the Ghost of Michael Jackson -- or even worse his lawyers????

You probably won't be haunted by any lawyers, but SoundClick is pretty strict about cover tunes. For instance, you have to have the license for it and it can only be posted in their "covers" category. I'm not sure what they'd do of they found a mis-categorized or unlicensed cover....probably just delete it and send you a note about violating their TOS.

If you've never done a VOM before, easier for you would be to PM Ohio Arrow and ask him to host your tune. Once you've done one VOM, you'll be able to register at the VOM Archive site and use the hosting feature there anytime you wish.

• Members

You probably won't be haunted by any lawyers, but SoundClick is pretty strict about cover tunes. For instance, you have to have the license for it and it can only be posted in their "covers" category. I'm not sure what they'd do of they found a mis-categorized or unlicensed cover....probably just delete it and send you a note about violating their TOS.

If you've never done a VOM before, easier for you would be to PM Ohio Arrow and ask him to host your tune. Once you've done one VOM, you'll be able to register at the VOM Archive site and use the hosting feature there anytime you wish.

Thank you!

pink-garden-roses.jpg

• Members
Not a Beatles fan!!...where is that blacklist?...somebody talk to this blackhat hunter:poke:

Maybe thats why I don't see any at 3 Chord Git:)

My fave was Harrison, because he was the only one who kicked (_._) but acted like a normal person. The other two prima donas, I could have done without. And Ringo doesn't count, because Ringo doesn't know where or what he is at any given time ;)

But seriously, when I was growing up, it was Beatles or Stones, and the Stones had the riffs and the edge I liked.

There's tons of wonderful songs in the Beatles catalog for sure. I just don't care to listen to most of them :D

• Members
My fave was Harrison, because he was the only one who kicked (_._) but
acted like a normal person
. The other two prima donas, I could have done without. And Ringo doesn't count, because Ringo doesn't know where or what he is at any given time
;)

That's funny. I always thought Paul was the normal one. John was a bit political/philsophical and George was more spiritual.

Paul just wrote silly little love songs.

• Members
My fave was Harrison, because he was the only one who kicked (_._) but acted like a normal person. The other two prima donas, I could have done without. And Ringo doesn't count, because Ringo doesn't know where or what he is at any given time
;)

But seriously, when I was growing up, it was Beatles or Stones, and the Stones had the riffs and the edge I liked.

There's tons of wonderful songs in the Beatles catalog for sure. I just don't care to listen to most of them
:D

I think they have hospitals for people suffering from the same affliction as yours. I actually have a brother in law that came down with it. After shock treatments, he started coming around....I could get you the name of the facility if you like.

Forget the shock, You just need a dose of this once a day....
[YOUTUBE]6qFbxj_a1zc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Very cool frets:thu: Ironically you don't seem like the worryin' type!

You are a great entertainer. I really enjoyed that!

I wish there were more video submissions! Everybody's got the tech these days to do them:poke: So much better for a virtual jam IMO. I wanna SEE you make the music.

Just sayin':)YMMV don't hate

• Members

Just wanted to say I enjoyed participating in my first VOM. I also enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions. Thanks for the kind comments. I'm looking forward to next month.

A couple of responses:

Queequeg - No, I've never heard the Poco version. I'll have to check it out.
pschaafs - The vocal was done using a TC Helicon Harmony G with a bass harmony added.

• Members

I've got hardly anything but covers on Soundclick.

I've never heard word one about it.

Buy I don't use Soundclick anymore. I use this.

• Members

Just wanted to say I enjoyed participating in my first VOM. I also enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions. Thanks for the kind comments. I'm looking forward to next month.

A couple of responses:

Queequeg
- No, I've never heard the Poco version. I'll have to check it out.

And congratulationd on your first VOM, phoniclab. Fine job!

This knocks me out.

Rusty Young on pedal steel.

[YOUTUBE]JIPEhwNfY8M[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm a bit behind the curve this VOM... I seem to be with every VOM. I want to give a big thanks to everyone who spun my tune on the virtual turntable this month. And, as always, the feedback I've received is greatly appreciated :D

I guess they say, you're your own biggest critic and I still can't say that I like hearing my voice when I sing, but, these VOMs do encourage me to keep on trying to belt something out. Heck, if it weren't for the encouragement I've received from these VOMs, I don't think I'd have ever even tried to sing... so, you all only have yourselves to blame for my singing attempts :lol: Anyways, enough about me... Thanks again!

I've only made my way through half this month's submissions, but, as to be expected, my ears have been quite pleased. Great job everyone!

brahmz118 - I'm not sure I could even name a single ABBA tune. But, give me a quality sounding instrumental and I'll enjoy every moment of it. Great work!

illinihoops - Congrats on your first written song! I don't hear anything that you should be hating about that tune. I really liked the guitar work.. Job well done!

fatback - That's a really nice tune. Definitely a departure from the blues! I'd say your mission was more than accomplished.

RogueGnome - Hmmm... I don't think I would have ever pulled that story out this tune. None the less, I really enjoyed your playing and the soothing sound of the song.

Verence - Nice work Verence! For whatever reason, the volume was a bit low on my computer but it was nothing cranking the volume knob couldn't fix. I was really digging the sound of your guitar and thought the piece was very well payed. However, I did have a bit of a hard time making out your voice in the mix.. Oh, and, I hope your move to Portland went smoothly!

tbryson - Quality rendition tbryson! Nice strumming and I really enjoyed the vocal harmony you layered into the song! I have a hard enough time laying one track with vocals. I can't imagine trying to do two ;)

chriscarnucci - Wow... that would be quite an accomplishment if we could get 10 years of VOM archives to poke through! And, I'm glad that this tune will be one of the songs I'll be able to stumble upon again :) Great job!

garthman - Great as always, garth! Can't say I'm familiar with the tune, but, I certainly liked listening to it.

Michael Martin - You're an inspired man, Michael. Month after month, there's always another quality new original tune to stream. Each month I take a listen and each month I enjoy what I hear :) Keep up the great work!

rhancox - I'm far from an audio snob, so, maybe I'm not quite qualified to give feedback, but, I thought the mix was excellent! I'd say all that recording work paid off in spades :thu: By the way, I loved that quick solo.

Melodeous - Holy crap! I'm not sure who "10-8-09 12:40 pm" is, but he gets credit for writing a quality instrumental piece ;) Fantastic work! I could listen to this tune again and again. The title reminds me of a bunch of Satriani's work; names that don't appear to have anything to do with the song, but, the tunes are so go no one ever thinks to question the name

alahen - Well, if that rendition is "going to pieces when the mic is on" then I'd say that the non-recorded renditions must be absolutely spectacular. Honestly, I couldn't hear anything bad in this rendition of the song. Nice Job!

g6120 - Great job as always, gil! I love listening to your guitar styling. I just wish that my Internet connection wasn't acting up. The video kept pausing every 20-30 seconds to load more. Oh, and that was some cool helmet cam video too!

Stackabones - Nice one, Stack. Your tune is just another great example that just a few chords and some nice lyrics are all that are needed to make a quality tune.

• Members

Greetings

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the comments. This week kinda picked up and headed out of town without leaving a forwarding address.

I know it wasn't as good of a performance as I would have liked. I didn't have a lot of time that day and it was the only day that week that I had any time at all to work on it. Plus after the first set of failures, I was getting a little annoyed at meself.

The piece is intended to be more expressive than rhythmic. As I said, with a slower number like that, precision is much more important than one of my "hold on cause I'm gonna hit the gas hard" numbers. That one stretch chord which is an Am7 is really tricky because I'm holding the E string down with the side of my pinkie rather than the tip.

But I do appreciate the comments. As always, there was a great bunch of performances by everyone.

Next month, let's just say hold on to yer hats!

Tony

• Members
The piece is intended to be more expressive than rhythmic. As I said, with a slower number like that, precision is much more important than one of my "hold on cause I'm gonna hit the gas hard" numbers.
That one stretch chord which is an Am7 is really tricky because I'm holding the E string down with the side of my pinkie rather than the tip

Tony

Does your pinky curl back towards the headstock too?...that little sucker will not straighten out for me...I even spent a couple days stretching it out but it just curls back in...:cry:

• Members
Does your pinky curl back towards the headstock too?...that little sucker will not straighten out for me...I even spent a couple days stretching it out but it just curls back in...
:cry:

Just a little bit. I use it a lot when fretting notes above a chord, but this one is just a bit tricky. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll work up a chord diagram. I have tried to anchor the pinky first then set the rest of the chord but that throws my hand off a little and I wind up deadening the B and sometimes the G string as well. So I just go for the chord and drop the pinkie down. I use this chord a lot, but not with the high E.

Tony

Archived