VOM 21 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, everyone. Once again I'm humbled and flattered to even be the company of some of you -- the musicianship here is pretty unbelievable.

I don't have time to itemize yet, but I'm totally digging this month's collection.

Thanks for your kind words, Samilyn and tbryson. GREAT recordings, both of you!

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Okay.. I have listened to everyone.. really enjoyed you all. These VOM's are refreshing for me.. I have so little time

to think about music these days.. it's nice to sit and be inspired by you guys.

Tsmusic - there's gotta be an easier way to play that:D Good stuff

C70man - You sound like you're in your shower. The song seemed very complex. I love how

it builds later on..

missedmyexit- I think you ended up in the right place despite your name

Blackhathunter- Good stuff.. love the guitar and the gravelly voice

Hypecollector - Dylanesque.. very cool.

Oldschool Tex - What Tbryson said to the 5th power

Samilyn - Haunting vox

Riovine- Smooth as usual.. I'm jealous of the kid running in the background.

How great it would have been to have been able to grow up with such a smooth soundtrack periodically

playing in the background.

Paint - dig the bass line in the middle.. very cool

Frets - I've been going through some struggles recently.. this song helped me

put things into perspective..lol.. I can't yet sing a worried song

Phonic - I love JJ cale.. amazing job

Illni - loved the guit and you have an on the verge voice that fit the song nicely.

STACK - You have amazed me on a few occasions with your song writing ability.. this is just another one of those times.

G6120 - Great little video.. The song was nice to zone out to and watch the road pass

Alahen - WOnderful guitar you have there.. and it's hard to believe that there is only one in this song.

Melodeus - A lot of instrumentals this time.. very smooth and wonderful tone Mel

rhancox - Great song

Michael Martin - I dig your style.. Your voice is so meloncollie yet optimistic

Garthman - Love your rendition of a great song

Tbryson.. I think you're posessed by Roy Orbison

Fussen - I like your voice man.. don't hide it.. you have something that is hard to come by.. and original sound.

Verence - I had to listen to that one 3 times

Roguegnome - that was purdy

Fatback - That was cool daddio

Brahmz - One of these days.. I will play like you.. one of these days

Chris - Great vox as ussual.. there is just a quality about your voice that everybody can relate to but not many can attain.

• Members

Odeon
by the Brazilian composer and pianist, Ernesto Nazareth. The mandolin arrangement is by the world's own Mike Marshall and the transcription was done by Doug Hoople who I found over at the MandoCafe.

I've been pretty hard at this piece for about three weeks now. Giving it at least a half an hour a day. Another month and I should be able to clean it up and play more musically. To record I plugged my K&K equipped Moon mando into a Firebox. Any tuning issues are because the Moon needs new strings and I hate changing strings.

James, that was superb! :thu:

Your hard work is paying off. Beautiful piece. I've been a Mike Marshall fan myself for many years now. Love the last chord on this one.

• Members

Okay.. I have listened to everyone.. ...

C70man - You sound like you're in your shower.

Shower?...What I hear in my ear and what records are two different things...I haven't figured out how to record the 12er. I just stuck the H4 about a 2 feet above and away from the guitar and let it record. First try. I will be messing with it more this coming week...If I keep it.

• Members

Awesome stuff this month. Here's the rest of my reviews:

Riovine - That was sweet. And that guitar is beautiful too. First I've seen of it. Nice.

pschaafs - Well done. I love the sound of the guitar. Beautiful job.

Samilyn - Haunting. Love the booming bass. Vocals were still good, all things considered. Great job.

OldSkool Texas - Chill out is right. It don't get any more laid back. That was really cool. A very good mix too. The perfect blend of instruments and volume. Well done. Very Well done.

hypcollector - Very good. You hit the nail on the head. Nice job.

BlackHatHunter - Nice song. Very simple but with great lyrics.

missedmyexit - What's a .caf file? I'm not sure how to play it after downloading.

Okieslims - Cool tune. I liked the guitar effect in the first part. I know it was just your playing (no electronics effects), I just thought it was clever and identified the song. Nice work.

C70man - The 12-string sounds great. A little out of tune, but great nonetheless. Your mention of Hide Your Love Away has given me some ideas (owning a 12-string myself). Cool tune you played though. Sounds cool on the 12-string. I like it.

TSMusic - I gotta say, I kind of liked it. It's reminiscent of your other songs, though slower, but that's where it's not quite there for me. Slow is ok, but it seemed a little jerky, if you know what I mean. Not as smooth. You mentioned some challenges so I chalk it all up to that. But I'd be interested in hearing a more polished version.

jamesp - Wow, pretty cool tune for the mandolin. Nicely done.

Chordchunker - Wicked, man. Awesome blues playing. A great little tune to finish out this month's VOM.

Thank you to all who listened to my submission and to those who commented. It's always an honor to be among such a fine group of musicians. I can just imagine the recordings that could be generated if all this talent were to assemble in one place.

Until next time.

edit: re-reading, I think I overused "cool". :)

• Members

Well here goes...what a great selection this month....

I'll go backwards...

Chordchunker...the blues always picks me up...good job.

JamesP...One word...sublime...loved it.

TSmusic....a very nice melody, with strong Spanish influence. Lots of mixed playing style so it kind of made me drift a bit. I still wanted it to be toned down a bit, letting the slow melody take over.

Okieslims....Nice to see that you got out in time to record it! I almost hear a little Blind Melon in the background blowin a harp...loved it.

missedmyexit...Timeless song...very nicely down, especially for a one timer.

BlackHatHunter...I think the only thing missing was another 2 or 3 cigarettes and your voice would have been there...nice job.

hypocollector...Get you and the fam healthy again...I'm not too sure a Woe song is what you need right now to do that, the song really brought me a dose of woe as well...good job.

oldskooltexas...very nice, loved the lap steel.

Samilyn...Your 12'er sounds great. An excellent job. You really connect with that song and it shows.

pschaafs....I can never get enough of Dylan...a great job capturing his sound.

Riovine....A lovely song with a very nice arrangement. Listening made me want to break out the Joe Pass collection...my favorite of yours to date...well played.

paintbynumbers....the kitchen, bathroom, garage, doesn't matter...its about getting the song down...nice job.

Fretts...Few people can get away with wearing a hat like that...very nice pickin there...cool song...nice job

phoniclab...nice

G6120....Very nice integration of sound and video. You're playing continues to improve along with your writing skills...both of them are taking leaps and bounds...I really enjoyed your entry.

alahen...A timeless classic...all that practice paid off...great job.

melodeus...My fav of your entries...beauifully done...that Breedlove sounds wonderful...BUT how did you ever come up with that title?

rhancox...a great song, well played. funny how I never thought about trying it myself...thanks for the bump.

Michael Martin...very nice Michael. Funny that I'm out the door this week and into the "Smokeys" for some R&R with the wife. I plan on listening to some water rippling against the background of fallen leaves. Can't wait...I'm bringing your song along too...

garthman...Cool song. Great job....I need to revisit the Birds...

chriscarnucci....a very nice song...well structured, my fav or yours so far. Hey while you're at it, send some of that fall my way...its still a 100 degree heat index down here.

tbryson...Love ALL Beatle stuff...a brave effort for sure. As I have said before, hard stuff to sing and play...well done.

fussenkuh....not a fan of Guns and Roses, but that is a nice song. Nice job, and love your Epi.

verence....what i could hear sounds great...needed a little amplification on the recording....nice vocal quality. Good luck in Portland, my son is a neighbor of yours down in Eugene...He loves it there.

Roguegnome....well played, it brought back a few memories for me...I'm a huge NKC fan.

fatback.....a nice tune, I wish the quality of your recording had been a little better, a lot of nice playing going on in that song. Really good job.

Illinoishoops....Liked the song...it has all the makings of a rock song with a tweek here and there...and I mean that in a good way...I hear a little "Jagger" in your voice too...liked it.

brahmz118....really well done...lovely tune. Your added swing gives it a very nice 20-30's sound, which I really liked.

• Members

Awesome stuff this month. Here's the rest of my reviews:

C70man
- The 12-string sounds great. A little out of tune, but great nonetheless. Your mention of Hide Your Love Away has given me some ideas (owning a 12-string myself). Cool tune you played though. Sounds cool on the 12-string. I like it.

Thanks....Yeah, trying to figure out how to tune a 12. Not used to playing a step down. If I keep that guitar, I'm definitely going to change out a few tuners, there are a couple that our giving me a little trouble.

Cover of Steve Earle's "Goodbye"

Goodbye (Oct 09 VOM)

The classic Steve Earle song is my entry this month into the HC Virtual Open Mic (VOM).

Gear used:

Shell Pink MojoTwanger T-style

Seymour Duncan Antiquities pickups

Swart AST Amp

Sweet! All you need is some cute little guy accompanying with acoustic and a little harmony and you got a pretty sweet act right there!

Hi Everyone
:wave:

In honor of the upcoming Samhain (Halloween for your non-Pagan types) holiday, here's a song called
All Souls Night
, written by Loreena McKennitt.

Just me and my Martin D12X1, recorded into Fostex MR8HD, with a little verb dialed in on my voice (which happens to be floating all over the map, thanks to an ongoing battle with bronchitis).

I always have fun with this song, and I depart a bit from my usual style and technique on the git. Git is tuned to Drop-D, capo on 5th, and I'm using a really thin flatpick.

Hope you enjoy it.

All Souls Night

Bewitching and beguiling. This po lil christian boy is quite under the spell! :)

Beautifully done.

• Members

Should play with Quicktime.. It's the audio format the IPHONE 4 track defaults to.

Got it.

Very nice song. A little rough around the edges, but you're miles above my abilities fingerpicking-wise. That was a solid effort for a one-shot take.

I'm going to get an iPhone in December, when my Sprint contract runs out. I can't wait to be able to record stuff of this sound quality. That's is so cool.

Here's an instrumental version of an ABBA tune that I learned this week for a young Mamma Mia fan. I've added a little swing, just for something different.

Tech stuff: LaPatrie Hybrid CW -> Fishman Aura Nylon String Pedal -> MOTU 828mkII Audio Interface -> GarageBand. VOM1T.

Thank You For the Music

Listening to Abba is a "guilty" pleasure for this ol coot, but listening to your treatment of it brings it right out into the open. Really beautifully done!!:thu:

Don't Look Now

I wrote and recorded this around 2am on Sept 30, 2009. Morgan Monroe MV-01 and Zoom H4n. Because of the time, I had to sit close to the mic and not really belt it out. You can hear my voice going from left to right (or is it the other way around), but it's not studio hijinks. That's just me moving around and getting out of the sweet spot of the X/Y mics on the Zoom.

I'd actually forgotten about this tune till yesterday. VOM1T.

If I never listen to another song but what's been played on these VOM's, I will be a completely satisfied. So much good music.

Beautiful song Stack and rendered so sweetly!:thu:

• Members

Got it.

Very nice song. A little rough around the edges, but you're miles above my abilities fingerpicking-wise. That was a solid effort for a one-shot take.

I'm going to get an iPhone in December, when my Sprint contract runs out. I can't wait to be able to record stuff of this sound quality. That's is so cool.

A tad off the topic but i would recommend the Iphone to anyone. The interface is well thought out and the apps that are available are fantastic. I got an APP to do 4 track recording, and one that is a Tuner, Mentrodome, Chord Chart. Not to mention all the other non music related stuff.

• Members

Ahhh.....another relaxing morning listening to some more great music. Here's my reviews of what I didn't get to listen to yesterday.

Thanks to all who commented on my song with such kind words and thanks to all participants for posting all this wonderful music! :love: :love: :love:

Also, many thanks to Joe/OhioArrow and Chris/Stackabones for your continued efforts at making the VOM such a successful and eagerly anticipated monthly event.

Now, the remaining reviews:

Missedmyexit - "Yesterday" is an old favorite and I really enjoyed this. Well played!

Okieslims - I'm always impressed by original music and this song is no exception. Love the laid-back sound of this great tune.

C70man - A lovely, haunting tune, indeed, and the 12-er sounds absolutely beautiful.

TSMusic - Yet another wonderful piece of music from you, Tony, and a very nice vid. LOL - seems like hitting the "record" button always seems to bring forth all sorts of gremlins, but watching this vid, I'd never know you had any of the issues you mentioned if you hadn't said anything. Looking forward to your CD release.

Jamesp - Wow - I'm at a loss for words. Delightful...simply delightful! :love:

Chordchunker - That tune roped me in immediately and I'm swaying to this cool music as I type this. Though the title is "Charleston Blues," it invokes some good memories of sultry New Orleans nights.

BTW...Joe - I checked my submission in the Archive. All is perfect, as I knew it would be. Thanks!

Archived