VOM 21 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First song I ever wrote. I wrote it all down at 4am one night, woke up and recorded this after I picked some chords. It was my first take at recording it and is far from what I want it to be. I hate it more every time I listen to it, but I think its something to build on.

Recorded on iPhone using 4Track and my Yamaha FG700s with grimy strings

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8202603

• Members

Hi

I've decided not to sing this month so I've recorded and instumental instead.

I'm currently trying to expand my musical repitoir (however thats spelt) away from the blues and this is part of that effort.

So for you musicatorian delectation I give you. . . .

Anji by David Graham.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=fatback/anji_4.mp3

Phil

• Members

Absentee Postings

RogueGnome Comments:

'Nature Boy' is a song by eden ahbez, published in 1947. The song tells a fantasy of a 'strange enchanted boy... who wandered very far' only to learn that 'the greatest thing... was just to love and be loved in return'. Nat Cole's 1948 recording of the song was a major hit, and 'Nature Boy' has since become a pop and jazz standard, with dozens of major artists interpreting the song.

Absentee Post from:
RogueGnome

Title:
Nature Boy

Credits:
eden ahbez

Verence Comments:

Hey all!

Haven't recorded anything in a long time, or been around the boards much either.

Recorded this in one take in my garage on a whim. Yeah, I'm a bit flat a few times, and mess up a bit, but that's what you get with VOM1T! : D

I'm Absentee posting cause I'm busy moving to Portland. Yay me. ^_^

Absentee Post from:
Verence

Title:
Place to Be

Credits:
Nick Drake

FussenKuh Comments:

Not quite sure about my availability for this VOM so I figured it's best to take advantage of this absentee posting thing :-) It's been said before, but, great work Joe!

Anywho... I've tried my hand (and vocal chords) at some good old GnR this month. '14 Years' is the second track from their Use Your Illusion II album. With the exception of the chorus, it represents one of the few Guns n' Roses songs not sung by Axl but, instead, by Izzy Stradlin.

This is my stripped down, simplified, acoustic version of the tune. Complete with original solo and, for better or worse, my voice. As always, it's not perfect, but, I enjoyed making it. For anyone who can't stand my singing, 15-20 seconds into the video, there is an embedded link to a version without my vocals ;-)

As there are multiple guitar parts and singing, multiple audio/video parts were recorded for the rhythm and solo sections then spliced/synced into the final video. The final product might not be VOM1T, but, technically, the individual parts were ;-)

Enjoy!

Absentee Post from:
FussenKuh

Title:
14 Years

Credits:
Guns n' Roses

tbryson Comments:

Another installment of my Beatles oddessy. They play this really fast...like 160 bpms...I got up to about 132 so it drags I'm sure. I cut out the solo part of course and went right back to the chorus. These old Beatle songs are fun and I can now play this song all the way through in case anybody is trapped in the front room then I can assualt them with this tune.

It was one take but I kept continuing to play and as it got better that is what I used. I then did a second track for the harmony and mixed it to the best of my knowledge.

I saw her standing there

Well, she was just 17,

You know what I mean,

And the way she looked was way beyond compare.

So how could I dance with another (ooh)

When I saw her standin' there.

Well she looked at me, and I, I could see

That before too long I'd fall in love with her.

She wouldn't dance with another (whooh)

When I saw her standin' there.

Well, my heart went 'boom,'

When I crossed that room,

And I held her hand in mine...

Well, we danced through the night,

And we held each other tight,

And before too long I fell in love with her.

Now, I'll never dance with another (whooh)

When I saw her standing there

Well, my heart went 'boom,'

When I crossed that room,

And I held her hand in mine...

Oh, we danced through the night,

And we held each other tight,

And before too long I fell in love with her.

Now I'll never dance with another (whooh)

Since I saw her standing there 3x

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
I saw her standing there

Credits:
Beatles

chriscarnucci Comments:

Well another Sunday and here I am VOM1Ting again!
:)

In between last month and now I have been going backwards through the old sessions. I'm almost done, but I saved a few sessions to get me through till next month. I must say there is sure alot of talent and creativity in this group. I found myself wondering how long this will continue and how many recordings will get archived here. To think that 10 years from now we could look back at where this began. Pretty cool stuff!

Well my entry for this month is a little ditty I wrote during a rainy spell we had a few weeks ago. The heat finally broke here in Dallas and you could tell Autumn was here. Well the scene out my guitar room window got me to musing and I came up with this months entry. I hope you all like it. And I can't wait to hear all your entry's for this month! Man this is fun!
:)

Absentee Post from:
chriscarnucci

Title:
Rainy Daze

Credits:
Christian Carnucci

garthman Comments:

Written by Jim McGuinn and the (trippy) title song to The Byrds' 3rd album - it was also released as a single.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
5D (Fifth Dimension)

Credits:
The Byrds

Michael Martin Comments:

UNDERWATER [59]

Written in 2007, and dedicated to a very special friend who understand the power of moving water, among many other wondrous forces of nature. The initial inspiration came from a day spent playing with big rocks making dams in a fast-flowing hip-deep river on a fine summer day in The Great Smokey Mountains National Park...wish I was there right now...

Just today I read the words

I read the words you wrote

You wrote them and I wondered whether I

Whether I could trust my eyes or my fingers anymore

Losing my touch

Leap of faith into the water

Leave it all up above the surface

Set free in the water

All the way underwater/never felt quite so alive

Rendezvous we will talk about the weather

The weather and the rain

When the rain fell down so hard so long

The streets were full of racing water

Out there in the suburbs on the interstates

Life went on as though nothing had occurred

Set on fire/need to dive into the water

All the way underwater/never felt quite so alive

Once/once in awhile

Once in a blue moon high tide

Nothing to lose/way too much to hide

Everything comes alive when worlds collide

Make my way to the middle of the river

Current was relentless like to sweep me away

Plunge my arms into the ice cold water

I could see flakes of gold right there at my feet

Trick of the light nothing in my hands

But rocks and sand slipping through my fingers

Set free by the rushing water

All the way underwater never felt quite so alive

Absentee Post from:
Michael Martin

Title:
Underwater

Credits:
Michael Martin

• Members

Absentee Postings, part 2

rhancox Comments:

I just could let another VOM go by without a submission. So, I thought I'd get a little fancy, recording-wise, and do a multi-track recording with my two 'wired' guitars.

I recorded a rhythm track with my 12-string and another with my Alvarez. I tried to put the 12-string to the back and bring the 6-string up front but they kind of sound the same. Trial and error, right?

I then recorded another track, with my Alvarez 6-string, to add some lead fill here and there and for the solo in the middle of the song. I added a little distortion to this track.

Lastly, I recorded a vocals track and added a touch of reverb to it.

A little more tweaking of the audio levels for each track and viola!

I hope you like it.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Story In Your Eyes

Credits:
Moody Blues

Melodeous Comments:

Okay, couldn't think of a title. Breedlove Focus concert with a Zoom H4 level with the F/B, about 1-1/2 feet away at the 12th fret and slightly canted toward the sound hole. Probably could have put a little more distance as the low end seems kinda muddy. Cedar seems to need more distance than spruce, me thinks. Instrumental in one take, no effects.

Absentee Post from:
Melodeous

Title:
Stomping Roaches

Credits:
10-8-09 12:40 pm

alahen Comments:

My first VOM for several months - it's good to be back!

Been practising this on and off for a while and finally got round to recording it for a VOM. It's only a short section of Bolero but it's one of my favourite things to play just now.

Unfortunately I go to pieces when the mic is on me, so it wasn't done in one take.

Thanks for listening.

Absentee Post from:
alahen

Title:
Bolero

Credits:
Maurice Ravel

g6120 Comments:

For this VOM Session I offer my latest Original Song ROADS.

This idea started back in July on my kids first camping trip. We were walking down an old abandoned road and it was all cracked and weeds were growing through. Got me to thinking about a song.

When I got home I wrote 2 verses and put it aside. I was stimulated to finish it on 9/28/09 and recorded it immediately.

I dedicate this song to all my motorcycle riding friends and all the roads we've ridden together. I also dedicate it to all the motorcycles I have owned in my life.

It is the first song that references my other passion: Motorcycles. I included a photo of my Ducati at the start and I actually bought this beautiful bike in 2003 from my YouTube friend noducs.

Another friend, Tim Hagberg answeered my request for motorcycle riding video. Tim is a memebr of a local riding group I belong to. The video is his first using his HD helmet cam and is on a road known as Monitor Pass between Topaz lake and Lake Tahoe (California/Nevada).

Enjoy the ride!

[YOUTUBE]vZ97JJjFDdw[/YOUTUBE]

Absentee Post from:
g6120

Title:
ROADS - Original Song

Credits:
Gil

• Members

Here's an instrumental version of an ABBA tune that I learned this week for a young Mamma Mia fan. I've added a little swing, just for something different.

Tech stuff: LaPatrie Hybrid CW -> Fishman Aura Nylon String Pedal -> MOTU 828mkII Audio Interface -> GarageBand. VOM1T.

What a great start to the vomit. I'm up early preparing for the Sunday lunch and just for the moment I was transported to a posh resturant with you mellow playing. What else can I say... except I am green with envy.

Fantastic playing

Phil

• Members

First song I ever wrote. I wrote it all down at 4am one night, woke up and recorded this after I picked some chords. It was my first take at recording it and is far from what I want it to be. I hate it more every time I listen to it, but I think its something to build on.

Sorry I'm getting an error message when I try to listen to your soundclick page.

Phil

• Members

Don't Look Now

I wrote and recorded this around 2am on Sept 30, 2009. Morgan Monroe MV-01 and Zoom H4n. Because of the time, I had to sit close to the mic and not really belt it out. You can hear my voice going from left to right (or is it the other way around), but it's not studio hijinks. That's just me moving around and getting out of the sweet spot of the X/Y mics on the Zoom.

I'd actually forgotten about this tune till yesterday. VOM1T.

• Members

Rouge gnome

I'm back in that resturant again. Everybody seems to have gone mellow this morning. I first heard that song when I was very young where it acted as the theme in a movie called I think 'The boy with the Green hair' since then just hearing it brings tears to my eyes.

Great job

Phil

• Members

Chris

Its raining a little here as well. But being the UK we don't generally have the extremes of weather you experience over there. I think the melody especially the chorus has just fixed in my head - I like the declining chord sequence - I think I'll be listening a little bit more to this song later.

Phil

• Members

I wrote and recorded this around 2am on Sept 30, 2009. Morgan Monroe MV-01 and Zoom H4n. Because of the time, I had to sit close to the mic and not really belt it out. You can hear my voice going from left to right (or is it the other way around), but it's not studio hijinks. That's just me moving around and getting out of the sweet spot of the X/Y mics on the Zoom.

I'd actually forgotten about this tune till yesterday. VOM1T.

Stack

Another lesson in less is more - I'll have to try something like this. Mine tend to be a lot more 'busy'. Great.

Phil

• Members

Hey,

The song is called "Love So Quickly" and I wrote it last night and recorded one take in the kitchen. Some of the vocal melodies near the end were made up as I went so please forgive anything the sounds really rough.

Blue Snowball Mic into Adobe Audition.

It's the top track here - http://www.myspace.com/iamtheislandnj

Matt

• Members

There is some great talent here in this VOM. I'm really impressed this month.

Brahmz118 - that was beautiful. Having never heard that song before, you'd never know it was from ABBA. Great playing.

illinihoops - that's pretty good for 4am and first take and all. It's a bit of a dark song but I liked the tune. You're right, definitely something to build on. You could add some cool leads here and there, maybe even a couple of sound effects.

fatback - I liked the tune and you played it well. It seemed a little rushed towards the end though. Still, very good playing. Well done.

RogueGnome - very nice. Very good playing as well.

Verence - I love the effect of the garage. Too bad you're moving. I'd love to hear more from your garage. Great tune. Nicely done. I thought the very beginning was part of the song. The vocals were a little quiet, but you've got a great voice for this one.

Fussenkuh - saw this on U2'b last week. I liked it. The lead especially. You do a really cool job of doing this genre of music on the acoustic. You should be proud.

tbryson - cool adaptation. Nice use of the second vocal track. Well done.

chriscarnucci - another fine tune from your pen. I liked the chords you chose. It was a great compliment to the lyrics. Bravo.

garthman - Man, I haven't heard this song in years. Like, as a little kid in the late 60's when my oldest brother had the album. That sounded great. Thanks for the memory.

Michael Martin - boy, your mastery of writing never ceases to amaze. You could write about paint drying and make a hit. Another fine effort Michael.

Melodeous - Beautiful song. I love the way it sounds on that guitar. I like the peppy-ness. Way cool.

alahen - Excellent. Great playing. I'm going to check out your other songs on U2'b too. Love it.

g6120 - for me, this is one of the best songs you've written. My Little Girl and Songs From That Place In Time are my top three favorites. Love the video too.

Stackabones - Great song, Stack. I love the lyrics. And the way you tied the verse into the "don't look now" and that standard G-Em-C-D progression, that was brilliant.

phoniclab - Good job. Nice recording too. I like that JJ Cale vibe.

frets99 - What an entertainer. You always manage to capture the essence of the song you do with things like the hat or your mannerisms. Excellent.

PaintByNumbers - Nice tune. It's catchy. Well done.

More reviews as the submissions come in.

Great job everyone!

Archived