Baby Taylor thoughts.

SDshirtman

• Members

Last year I bought a Baby Taylor for my daughter for Xmas hoping she would pick up the guitar. At the time I thought it was pretty cool.

A year later it pretty much sits in its case. Recently she asked me if she could sell it for $ to put towards a new mac.

So last night I pulled it out and played it for a good hour or so. My consensus is that this guitar is gimmicky junk. It sounds like a toy. The first thing that comes to mind is those miniature tourist guitars you buy in Mexico. Its thin and hollow and goes out of tune often. The intonation is horrible.

It will be on craigslist soon for some other suckers kid.

Thats it. Just ranting.

• Members

I bought both a Baby Taylor and a Little Martin. The Baby Taylor is now gone - It DOES go out of tune regularly and the intonation is terrible. It did, however, have a surprisingly decent tone. The one I had was when they were still made in the USA though...

The Little Martin is the hands down winner. Stays in tune, perfect intonation and a great sound (a little deeper than the Taylor).

Craigslist got mine too...

• Members

I've always felt the same way. I couldn't believe how much they were charging the first time I played one of those.

Yes yes...you're stance on Taylor is noted. Yes, we get it...everyone that buys a Taylor is just falling for their marketing and they're all sheeple and blah blah blah. You can't believe how much they charge for their guitars and blah blah blah their tone is terrible blah blah blah.

Do you work for Martin or another competitor? I'm beginning to believe that's why some people go out of their way to crap on a brand of something. Think about it...it's like a viral FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) campaign that just plants a seed in some people's mind to where they may go "well, heard some stuff...I'll go with Martin instead". Spreading FUD basically costs nothing. Just a few posts here and there in forums.

BTW, I don't own any Taylor's.

• Members

Yeah, but have you played a Baby Taylor? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a crappy Taylor is really crappy.

I know...my comment was mainly directed at the other guy. This isn't the first time he's gone out of his way to bash a brand for no other reason other than bash it. Yes, he's commented on how people are just falling for Taylor's marketing and are sheeple. I detest it and I'll call out anyone that does it. :mad:

Having said that, I've played a Baby Taylor. I'll reserve comment as I was taught not to make fun of the...um...less than gifted. :D

• Members

The Baby Taylors must have changed considerably after they stopped making them in California. I liked the sound on mine and loved the neck. It was much better sounding than other guitars of the same size - But the intonation and tuning issue ruined it for me...

• Members

The Baby Taylor is a travel size guitar.

None of the travel size guitars sound very good when compared to a full size guitar.

Most of them suffer with intonation problems and many of them are tuned differently due to the shorter scale.

• Members

There are plenty of better sounding travel-sized short-scale gits. It depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend, but for travel gits I'd rank the CA Cargo #1 and the Yamaha Silent Steel #2. I've also heard good things about Radding's Go-Grande, but I've never tried one.

• Members

Yes yes...you're stance on Taylor is noted. Yes, we get it...everyone that buys a Taylor is just falling for their marketing and they're all sheeple and blah blah blah. You can't believe how much they charge for their guitars and blah blah blah their tone is terrible blah blah blah.

Do you work for Martin or another competitor? I'm beginning to believe that's why some people go out of their way to crap on a brand of something. Think about it...it's like a viral FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) campaign that just plants a seed in some people's mind to where they may go "well, heard some stuff...I'll go with Martin instead". Spreading FUD basically costs nothing. Just a few posts here and there in forums.

BTW, I don't own any Taylor's.

Wow, somebody have a burr up their saddle? Last time I checked everybody's experience was welcome here.

No, I don't work for a guitar company, hard to believe you'd jump to that conclusion, since I've posted lots of other content about several other brands. I don't even own or particularly care for Martins.

Having said that, I crap on Taylor because nobody else seems to, and I hate to see people spend money they're regret later, like I did when I was younger. Again, I thought this place was about educating yourself.

Lastly, not sure why I'm on the receiving end of the attack since most everybody else in this thread is saying the same damned thing. Baby Taylor = canoe paddle.

For what its worth I played a 3/4 sized CA and it sounded great for what it was.

• Members

Wow, somebody have a burr up their saddle? Last time I checked everybody's experience was welcome here.

No, I don't work for a guitar company, hard to believe you'd jump to that conclusion, since I've posted lots of other content about several other brands. I don't even own or particularly care for Martins.

Having said that, I crap on Taylor because nobody else seems to, and I hate to see people spend money they're regret later, like I did when I was younger. Again, I thought this place was about educating yourself.

Lastly, not sure why I'm on the receiving end of the attack since most everybody else in this thread is saying the same damned thing. Baby Taylor = canoe paddle.

For what its worth I played a 3/4 sized CA and it sounded great for what it was.

You can say it anyway you want...his name is Goofball.

Anyway I own a Taylor and I have played the baby...it is not very good. It is a travel size guitar but in reality I would rather carry a full size and not waste money on a guitar that doesn't sound that good...at least to me it doesn't sound good nor does any other travel size guitars no matter who makes them.

• Members

So...you crap on Taylor just because no one else craps on them? Why is that do you think? Is everyone else the "unwashed masses" that don't know the truth and just blindly follow the Taylor marketing hype? Brainwashed professionals around the world can't really hear that they're terrible guitars? Every Taylor I've ever picked up sounded terrific (Baby Taylor not-with-standing...but if we're going to judge the entire company on the Baby Taylor, then I quit), but I guess I don't know what I'm talking about or I have ears of lead.

You said in another thread that they "sound terrible for what you pay" which you didn't quite explain. I mean, would they sound better if you payed less? So would someone buying a used Taylor automagically get a better sounding guitar because they paid less? What is it about them that you and a select few know that everyone else doesn't?

Yes, this place is for educating yourself. I'm trying to educate myself as to why people come into a thread and {censored} all over a brand for not other reason than "because nobody else seems to". Also, I'm sure it makes some people who think they've got a great guitar...regardless of what brand they have...pissed off when some yahoo comes along and basically says they're idiots for buying it. I know people go "oh, I don't care what others think"...but you know, I bet they do get a bit pissed off when someone does it. It's like someone buying a new car and they're happy with it, then some bone-head comes out "OMG, I would have never have bought that...you got ripped off dude....you're gonna regret that later".

So, you either try to ignore it and tell yourself that the person is a noob and has no clue as to what they're talking about, or you assume they DO know what they're talking about and then challenge their statement. Which one do you think I've picked for you?

• Members

Last year I bought a Baby Taylor for my daughter for Xmas hoping she would pick up the guitar. At the time I thought it was pretty cool.

A year later it pretty much sits in its case. Recently she asked me if she could sell it for $ to put towards a new mac.

So last night I pulled it out and played it for a good hour or so. My consensus is that this guitar is gimmicky junk. It sounds like a toy. The first thing that comes to mind is those miniature tourist guitars you buy in Mexico. Its thin and hollow and goes out of tune often. The intonation is horrible.

It will be on craigslist soon for some other suckers kid.

Thats it. Just ranting.

Before you sell it:

Go get the lightest, thinnest phosphour bronze acoustic guitar strings you can find (extra lights)

String that thing up and then tune it up a whole step from standard (F# to F# or so)

Play the thing and report back to me.

Yea it's a horrible guitar but it just might be the most awesome 6 string ukelele you'll ever hear.

• Members

So...you crap on Taylor just because no one else craps on them? Why is that do you think? Is everyone else the "unwashed masses" that don't know the truth and just blindly follow the Taylor marketing hype? Brainwashed professionals around the world can't really hear that they're terrible guitars? Every Taylor I've ever picked up sounded terrific (Baby Taylor not-with-standing...but if we're going to judge the entire company on the Baby Taylor, then I quit), but I guess I don't know what I'm talking about or I have ears of lead.

You said in another thread that they "sound terrible for what you pay" which you didn't quite explain. I mean, would they sound better if you payed less? So would someone buying a used Taylor automagically get a better sounding guitar because they paid less? What is it about them that you and a select few know that everyone else doesn't?

Yes, this place is for educating yourself. I'm trying to educate myself as to why people come into a thread and {censored} all over a brand for not other reason than "because nobody else seems to". Also, I'm sure it makes some people who think they've got a great guitar...regardless of what brand they have...pissed off when some yahoo comes along and basically says they're idiots for buying it. I know people go "oh, I don't care what others think"...but you know, I bet they do get a bit pissed off when someone does it. It's like someone buying a new car and they're happy with it, then some bone-head comes out "OMG, I would have never have bought that...you got ripped off dude....you're gonna regret that later".

So, you either try to ignore it and tell yourself that the person is a noob and has no clue as to what they're talking about, or you assume they DO know what they're talking about and then challenge their statement. Which one do you think I've picked for you?

First and foremost, none of our differing opinion warrants personal attacks. Not sure why you feel the need to personally attack me over it, but apparently I'm a noob, so, who cares right?

If you've bought a Taylor, I'm sorry if I've offended you. I never meant to insinuate that you made a bad purchase. My goal whenever the word "Taylor" comes out of my mouth is to suggest that folks play many guitars in a given price bracket BEFORE they decide Taylor is the best option. I say this because 9/10 times I do this test, to MY EARS another guitar for the same price usually sounds better. This is what I meant when I said before that a $5000 R. Taylor hand built is a bad buy for me, since I find many other cheaper instruments sound better.

As far as what I think about people who buy Taylors, I can only assume two things. 1) They hear something I don't, thats cool. 2) They hear the same thing I do, but don't try anything else because of the Taylor brand recognition (what I'm trying to help people avoid). Unfortunately I think many people buy Taylor like people buy Bose surround sound - good marketing and brand reputation with performance that frequently doesn't match the price comparatively speaking.

Would somebody get a better guitar if they bought a Taylor, but paid less? No, they'd get what I see as a fair deal from a cost to sound ratio.

So, I'm sorry if I've just dumped all over your new Taylor purchase and you feel bad now, but honestly, if your post count is any reflection of your playing experience/ability, I don't think you need to get your panties in a wad over what I have to say anyway.

:idea: Alternative! Do a side by side comparison of a $3000 Taylor (new or used) and a similarly priced instrument (new or used) from Collings, Huss & Dalton, Froggy Bottom, Goodall, McPherson, etc. etc. and see which one sounds better. Then talk to me.

• Members

Before you sell it:

Go get the lightest, thinnest phosphour bronze acoustic guitar strings you can find (extra lights)

String that thing up and then tune it up a whole step from standard (F# to F# or so)

Play the thing and report back to me.

Yea it's a horrible guitar but it just might be the most awesome 6 string ukelele you'll ever hear.

Huh???

Tuning issues and intonation are very much string related on a short scale guitar. You compound the issue by putting lighter gauge strings on it. The tension is now even less than it previously was.

You need to go the other way, INCREASE the string gauge to increase tension and make up for the problematic LOW tension caused by the short scale.

Alternately, you can tune to higher than standard pitch (INCREASING tension again). Both works.

think about what you put out there man...

• Members

Huh???

Tuning issues and intonation are very much string related on a short scale guitar. You compound the issue by putting lighter gauge strings on it. The tension is now even less than it previously was.

You need to go the other way, INCREASE the string gauge to increase tension and make up for the problematic LOW tension caused by the short scale.

Alternately, you can tune to higher than standard pitch (INCREASING tension again). Both works.

think about what you put out there man...

guitarcapo is correct. light string tension is offset by tuning UP a whole step. that's what he said, and that's what you said too, tot. Short scale will do much better up there.

I have one of these Baby Taylors, made in USA, all mahogany, that I bought 12 yrs ago to travel the caribbean with for two years. it held up well in the tropics, living in a rain forest. I can't sell it now for the sentimental reasons.

• Members

guitarcapo is correct. light string tension is offset by tuning UP a whole step. that's what he said, and that's what you said too, tot. Short scale will do much better up there.

I have one of these Baby Taylors, made in USA, all mahogany, that I bought 12 yrs ago to travel the caribbean with for two years. it held up well in the tropics, living in a rain forest. I can't sell it now for the sentimental reasons.

Yes - tuning up helps because it increases tension. Lighter gauge string decreases tension. My experience on the Baby Taylor I had was to keep my standard strings and tune up -or- increase the string gauge and stay in standard.

Archived