O/T: Deer Hunting Season!

Chordchunker

• Members

Doesn`t have much to do with guitars but deer season here in Arkansas is right around the corner (modern gun) . An 8 pointer has been hanging around my yard and pretty close to the house that looks like he will fit nicely in my freezer. I tend to more of a harvester than a die-hard hunter. Anyone else like to eat game?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, indeed! Took a plump little doe a couple weeks ago (Texas' bow season is the month of October, gun season is mid-November 'til New Year's weekend and we bow-hunters get to hunt during gun season, too. :))

Got my eye on a decent looking buck, but we'll see if he's as lucky as he was last year! :cool:

Out where I do most of my hunting (LBJ Grasslands) there's also feral hogs and feral emus (when the emu biz went south, a lot of folks just set 'em loose, and, apparently, Texas suits 'em, because I see young emus in the spring, nowdays), so it's a rare day when I bring home nothing in the way of meat.

• Members

I have no objections with hunting to eat (as opposed to hunting for sport). In fact I wouldn't mind participating since I consider game meat to be better.

My biggest problem is that the costs involved in gear, licenses and time notably outweigh the costs of just buying game meat from a specialty store. On top of that, I wouldn't know how to prepare game meat after I bagged it (so then I'd have to take a class in cutting up the carcass). Then we'd also need a bigger freezer.

I guess it's easier when the game is walking about near your backyard.

• Members

My "hunting" experience is limited to a few birds and prairie dogs, but there's not much better than game you (or someone else you know) bagged yourself. Since hunting is much an option for me currently, I try to buy my meat directly from the people that raised and/or killed the animal.

I like the term "harvester". That's a good thing to aspire to.

• Members

I broke out the bright orange shirt for mtn biking weeks ago. We see a lot of hunters. Two weeks back we came across two guys who were slinging a sadly scrawny looking buck. They were looking at about three miles of railroad grade of haul to get it out. I did not envy them.

The drunk hunters are usually closer to their trucks and don't seem to be all about the harvest.

Some friends have a yearly "game night" dinner where I've had some wonderfully well-prepared deer and wild turkey. Not too wild about either, but last year a pro chef grilled some elk that was to die for. I always bring Chanterelles from my secret spot in the Gorge.

Bring some Chanterelles and you'll be welcome to share our game w/ us, anytime! :thu:

• Members

Doesn`t have much to do with guitars but deer season here in Arkansas is right around the corner (modern gun) . An 8 pointer has been hanging around my yard and pretty close to the house that looks like he will fit nicely in my freezer. I tend to more of a harvester than a die-hard hunter. Anyone else like to eat game?

Howdy neighbor! I love to eat wild game,tame game too! I'll miss out hunting this year but plan on it for next season.I have two guns that can take a deer,a 12 gauge and a .44 mag. I'd love to take one with the mag!

• Members

OTOH, If I had to hunt to survive, I would. Doing it just because I can doesn't cut it, not in this day and age. I used to eat a lot of meat, until a cardio stress test told me that I need either an angioplasty or a bypass. The gout was pretty awful, too.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I have no objections with hunting to eat (as opposed to hunting for sport). In fact I wouldn't mind participating since I consider game meat to be better.

My biggest problem is that the costs involved in gear, licenses and time notably outweigh the costs of just buying game meat from a specialty store. On top of that, I wouldn't know how to prepare game meat after I bagged it (so then I'd have to take a class in cutting up the carcass). Then we'd also need a bigger freezer.

I guess it's easier when the game is walking about near your backyard.

It doesn`t cost all that much. License for a resident in my state is $25.00 and I`m allowed 3 deer in my county. A decent rifle can be had for $250 that will last you the rest of your life. The deer are fairly small around here with an average weight of 125lbs. Dressed/butchered that is still around 60lbs of organic meat with no steroids, fillers, MCD, and growth hormones . I take mine to the processor mainly because it is alot of work to butcher them in small enough cuts to where I don`t have to thaw a 20 lb shoulder just to have a small cook-out.

I don`t eat beef or pork and rarely eat meat. When I do I prefer deer, buffalo or elk... Animals that eat mast/grass instead of god-knows-what. Most of the people I know that hunt were raised doing so. Someone in their family taught them at an early age.

• Members

Ive got no objections to hunting either as long as its done on an equal opportunities basis. There would be nothing funnier in my eyes than to see some of those turn the tables!!
:)

You mean like a stampede from all the cows that are killed by McVomit and Bugger King?

• Members

I love to shoot animals - with a good camera and a telephoto lens - hunting sucks.

I've been hunting for over 40 years and I don't haven't found any part of it that sucks...though gutting a deer or hog is not an overly pleasant experience.:D

• Members

So, there I was all proud, pumped up and {censored}. The day before I finished putting the final touches on a Mossin-Nagant 7.62X54 which included barrel shortening to carbine config, changing to a composite stock, reshaping the bolt and removing the rear leaf sight to install a scope. Was in the thicket and had that sucker dead in my sights. It looked up directly at me. I lowered the rifle and went home.

Archived