Recommendations for an Acoustic Bass?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting one, and am wondering what to look (and look out) for. Seems all the models I've looked at have electronics, and I am not sure that I want stock p'ups on an acoustic (I've always shied away from them in my regular acoustics, so I don't know why I'd change that rule now). I don't want to spend more than, say, $700.00 or so.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Glenn

• Members

Hmmm...If I ever came across one of those Ernie Ball acoustic bass guitars from the 1970's I'd love to have one of those. ;) but from all reports those acoustic bass guitars just don't cut it in live situations and generally need to be plugged in. That being said if you just plan to jam with another guitar player or two at home I am sure it would work fine.

Personally I think you just go all out and get one of these....:D

upright-bass.jpg

• Members

Thanks for your replies. I won't be going fretless... I'd end up having to draw the frets in with chalk or something. :confused:

This is something I've thought about for a while, but have had other G.A.S priorities. Watching the GB Uke Orchestra doing 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' perked up my interest in one again. I have a Yamaha solid body electric bass, but I want a nice, warm acoustic-toned one as well.

Again, thanks!

Glenn

• Members

Most of the fretless have lines where the frets would be to help ya' out. They're really not all that hard to play. One BIG positive, no fret buzz. I converted a Dean Deamonator to fretless a couple years ago just to see how it'd be and I loved it. My next bass will be fretless. You get cleaner slides up and down the neck and you NEVER have to worry about getting a fret job since there are none. For a beginner though I'd stick with frets until your fingers learn where they're suppose to be.

I'm pretty much going to just go with an electric and a small/middle size amp and be done with it. Bass waves are just too large to get much amp effect from such a small body like a Jumbo or Dread size guitar. You really do need that large stand up body for proper amplification in an acoustic bass. Anyway, good luck and remember, we've got a pretty killer bass section here on the forum as well. Talk to ya' later.

• Members

Don't know if they're in your price range, but the only ones I've seen that have any real projection are the Dobro (resonator guitar) style basses. The Martins of the 15 series (all mahogany), I've seen a couple that are real good. However, I'll go with Kwak and say you will need the pick-up. Even the best of them will get buried by two guitars. One, if the player is enthusiastic. The electronics don't detract from the acoustic sound of the instrument, so you don't need to use them if you don't want to. But trust me, you will want to.

• Members

The Breedlove Atlas acoustic basses look pretty decent. Fretless is $750 w/cedar top and Fretted is $800 w/Spruce top, both have electronics so you can plug in for more volume and they've both got the rod system in em' to help the sound. IF I were going acoustic Bass it'd be a Breedlove. You can probably get em' discounted this time of year and get within your price range and maybe have enough left over for a small amp of somekind.

Archived