Silver Creek internals. Huh?????

gitmo

• Members

So I spot gauze on the main crossbrace while giving the new S.C. a better look-over. I had to do some things that took me away but when I returned I loosened the strings and stuffed the USB cam into the body. I used a strong light on the outside of the body like I saw on Frets.com and this is what I came up with.

I couldn't get great positioning because I left the string on but I think this will raise a few eyebrows none the less. Anyone ever see this before? I threw in a picture of the bridge plate because the strings look like they are set perfectly so I thought I'd share, and one of the neck cuz I was in there..

• Members

Gauze on the braces, where they cross, is something I've seen before. I first saw it back in the 70's on a concert size Lotus acoustic. I'm not sure what the purpose is but I wouldn't worry. There's nothing wrong with your guitar.

Honestly, it sounds great. One of the first things I did when I got it was tap the soundboard and nothing was obviously loose or rattling.

My first thought was a repaired brace. The gauze seems to have been used as a reinforcing fiber in addition to some type of glue. The cloth is saturated with whatever glue they use similar to GRP/fiberglass(Glass Reinforced Plastic).

This is the first I've heard of this technique, after reading 2 books on repair(Dan E.'s book), looking through Frets.com and hanging out here for six months as well as other repair and mod sources on the internet. I'll remain open minded about it as I research it.

• Members

Mine have the bandaids too. It's a pretty standard technique for reinforcing the X brace at the butt joint.

Pretty clean in there, eh? I love these gits!

Other than this surprise it looks perfect. This seems unorthodox.

I don't mind the V neck so far, it gives good leverage. I could see it bothering someone with tendonitis though.

I'll probably take the strings off and take more photos this weekend. I bought a small socket and mini-CFL to stuff in there with the camera so it should really light up the inside. I didn't get the results I wanted with the external light.

• Members

An RK owner over at the Blueridge forum recently dropped his standard digicam into the sound hole and got some nice shots. No special lighting or adapters.

I've been thinking about a few options. The USB cam is pretty versatile so I'm going to run with it for a while. A person could probly just hold most camera sideways into the soundhole and get some good internal shots. GREAT shots if you fool with it for a while.

I'll check the link.

• Members

An RK owner over at the Blueridge forum recently dropped his standard digicam into the sound hole and got some nice shots. No special lighting or adapters.

He got great shots!

The back of my neck looks just like his at the base of the headstock.

I can't believe how much I like the tuning machines(looks), I already want to put on some nice Klusons with plastic buttons.

• Members

I've made two purchases within the past 4 months; the Alvarez and the Yamaha. I don't have an inspection mirror (yet), but I can see a little of the gauze you're talking about on the inside of the Yamaha by looking into the sound hole. I can't see any of it on the Alvarez.

Not to worry, I guess. I just assumed, since Yamaha built it that way, that's how it's supposed to be.

• Members

Thanks to everybody for putting me at ease about it.

I don't see anything on my Fender. My Washburn has a piece of wood glued to the top of the brace joint so there seems to be some consensus that the joint needs reinforcing but the methods seem to vary between a more precise fit and adding some type of material with glue.

I'll put the packing material back in the trash, it's staying.:phil:

• Members

Its funny how a thread starts just when you've discovered an issue with your instrument.

I've had anxiety since I recently discovered guaze inside a Yamaha I bought on ebay a few months ago. I figured it was somebody's ghetto repair of a busted brace. Wheww!

• Members

I've had anxiety since I recently discovered guaze inside a Yamaha I bought on ebay a few months ago. I figured it was somebody's ghetto repair of a busted brace. Wheww!

My initial thought.

Ditto on the "Wheww!

I would like too take the opportunity to point out some of the brands that use the gauze and the much maligned Fender just uses a tight fitting joint. My Fender has been used in my son's studio for 3 years now by all form of players and it's still solid as a rock.:poke:

• Members

Yep, seen the gauze on the cross beam a lot. I don't know if it's recommended, but I've known a lot of folks to use glue saturated gauze or linen to reinforce a crack repair. Keeps it closed, gives a lot of area coverage to reduce chances of parallel splitting, less weight/mass than putting in several cleats. Also seen fabric strips on new guitars in the waist area. Guess it discourages splitting where the wood is most stressed from bending the side. Pretty standard, I'd say.

• Members

I've heard of such things before, though I've never seen it. I'll have to check my Seagulls when I get home. As other folks have already mentioned, it's just a method of reinforcing the joint. Maybe Freeman will chime in with some insights.

On the Seagulls you will find a glued spruce strut bridging the intersection of the X-braces.

I've seen the gauze, probably linen, on many guitars, particularly Japanese. Linen has also been used as a quick fix on small top cracks in violins, as opposed to the preferred method using cleats.

Clif

Archived