My attempt at fingerstyle - Hana by Masaaki Kishibe

baldbloke

• Members

This has been my biggest ever challenge. It has taken me 3 months to get to this stage. 1 * 3 minute tune = 3 months sweat and tears. Is it worth it?

Attached is my best recording so far. There are mistakes in it. Plenty. I'm still practicing it.

I let a couple of my friends hear it. One plays guitar. All he said was he liked it. Offered no constructive criticism. Was he being polite?

Another doesn't play any instruments. He said "It was a nice wee tune".

Not much substantial feedback there to help me improve.

So, I turn to you, my learned brethren. Can you please have a listen and tell me if it's as bland as I'm beginning to fear?

Please.

I need your constructive criticism and encouragement. Or should I sell my guitars and buy a radio?

• Members

I gave it a good listen as fingerstyle is my meat. Your timing is good. As do many of us you slow down a bit in the more difficult parts and speed up a bit a the easier points. The slow down part will only improve with practice, try to concentrate on not speeding up parts just because you can. I would be proud to post that as something I did and while it may not be time to quit your day job, it surely should encourage you to keep playing. Nice work.

• Members

I found a YouTube video of Hana by Masaaki Kishibe and you're both clearly playing the same song:

[YOUTUBE]bvkmosEt_RM[/YOUTUBE]

Sure, there are differences but you've gotten the essentials and you're 'way better than I am. As Dave W. posted, I'd be thrilled if I were that good. Keep it up and promise you'll only listen to stuff on the radio that's worth your time. :thu:

. . . BTw is that an original? If not do you know where I could get a tab for it?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=tab+for+Hana+by+Masaaki+Kishibe&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

• Members
This has been my biggest ever challenge. It has taken me 3 months to get to this stage. 1 * 3 minute tune = 3 months sweat and tears. Is it worth it?

Attached is my best recording so far. There are mistakes in it. Plenty. I'm still practicing it.

I let a couple of my friends hear it. One plays guitar. All he said was he liked it. Offered no constructive criticism. Was he being polite?

Another doesn't play any instruments. He said "It was a nice wee tune".

Not much substantial feedback there to help me improve.

So, I turn to you, my learned brethren. Can you please have a listen and tell me if it's as bland as I'm beginning to fear?

Please.

I need your constructive criticism and encouragement. Or should I sell my guitars and buy a radio?

Wow! BEAUTIFULLY played! It was a joy for the ears.

I don't understand the "constructive" comments about the variation of tempo. It was rubato at its best. The change of tempo were done in all the right places and give the piece a very nice feel. well done, indeed.

You are obviously very talented. Keep your clips coming! :thu:

• Members

I got home from work, booted up the computer and expected maybe a couple of replies telling me to practice more. Oh boy, I did not expect the level of encouragement that was waiting for me.

Thank you all.

I have practiced this so much that I wondered if I had lost the feel of this tune without realising it. Can't see the wood for the trees - that sort of thing.

It seems like my missus will have to put up with me practicing this for another 3 months. (I feel sorry for her)

Rubato? I had to look it up on the net.:facepalm:

The timing is certainly an issue (as well as many other things I'm sure you can tell). I did introduce my own little pregnant pauses - erm, Rubato. On listening again, perhaps too many of them. I have a lot to learn. There are other timing issues which definitely need me to practice with a metronome. I found that playing slowly (80bpm was my target) without a metronome was difficult. I will use the metronome more often.

Tab can be found here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/masaaki_kishibe/hana_tab.htm

• Members

WOW.. last time i heared you play it was ... erm average. (lol only joking)... now you have turned into Tommy 2.!!!! whats your secret.!! im dead jealous.. listened to hana.. then again, then again..!!! WOW.!!! i can whole heartedly agree with the other replies... it had mood, finesse, rubato, the timing was Good.!!!! you gotta remember its an organic process reproducing any Music and it will never be the same a second time around unless you record it to cd and clone it.!!!.. as long as you stick between the rails of acceptability.. who cares about slight.... ( yes Slight) differences in tempo in fact, if anything they add to the feel of the piece.... Well done...!!! Now i gotta get my strat out.!!! cos you have made me realise if im gonna even get close to your ability i need to practice till my fingers bleed.!!!:thu:

• Members

WOW.. last time i heared you play it was ... erm average. (lol only joking)... now you have turned into Tommy 2.!!!! whats your secret.!! im dead jealous.. listened to hana.. then again, then again..!!! WOW.!!! i can whole heartedly agree with the other replies... it had mood, finesse, rubato, the timing was Good.!!!! you gotta remember its an organic process reproducing any Music and it will never be the same a second time around unless you record it to cd and clone it.!!!.. as long as you stick between the rails of acceptability.. who cares about slight.... ( yes Slight) differences in tempo in fact, if anything they add to the feel of the piece.... Well done...!!! Now i gotta get my strat out.!!! cos you have made me realise if im gonna even get close to your ability i need to practice till my fingers bleed.!!!
:thu:

Aye up, baldys mate.

That's what I like to read. A totally unbiased and accurate observation.

Alex, do you want me to send you more money for the next reply?

Oops:facepalm:

• Members

Now I'm confused. Lots of nice comments (Please excuse baldys mate for the attempt to crown me king of fingerstyle - he's a mate of mine having a laugh - as if you couldn't tell! . Nice one Baldys mate:p).

I let two other non musicians hear that clip. They gave me embarrassed silences. I got embarrassed myself after letting them hear it. What gives?

I know it ain't exactly professional playing and the recording itself is very poor. It's a progress report, for want of a better phrase, from a learner. Is it that non musicians make immediate comparisons with famous artists and fail to understand there are hobbyists around. Hobbyists who have no illusions about their limitations and are content to play for their own enjoyment and get a buzz when they master a new chord?

Or, are non musicians the the real, true critics?

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Very well played. Keep going the direction you're headed.

Ta verilly. Cheque is in the post.

• Members

Non musicians hear a song, or a tune. They don't hear the thousand notes and phrases you had to play to create it. They don't see the difficulty and the skill required to play a piece, hopefully, because you made it look easy.
So if they don't appreciate the technique you demonstrated, it's because they heard a "wee tune," or whatever the guy called it. It means you are taking a thousand little pieces and making a single work of art, like a painter.
It's actually compliment when you see it that way.

• Members
Now I'm confused. Lots of nice comments (Please excuse baldys mate for the attempt to crown me king of fingerstyle - he's a mate of mine having a laugh - as if you couldn't tell! . Nice one Baldys mate:p).

I let two other non musicians hear that clip. They gave me embarrassed silences. I got embarrassed myself after letting them hear it. What gives?

I know it ain't exactly professional playing and the recording itself is very poor. It's a progress report, for want of a better phrase, from a learner. Is it that non musicians make immediate comparisons with famous artists and fail to understand there are hobbyists around. Hobbyists who have no illusions about their limitations and are content to play for their own enjoyment and get a buzz when they master a new chord?

Or, are non musicians the the real, true critics?

Alas, I know I would starve if I gave up my day job.

Listen again. Neither can I:lol:

Means a lot to me, you saying that.

Thanks for spotting it. It really is my first attempt at a decent peice of music.

Very true, there are lots of bits missing. I still got lots of work to do

These two are the nicest comments I have ever had. Thank you.

If missing bits out counts, then I may already have made it my own. I'm darn sure Mr Kishibe wouldn't want it back after I've been fiddling with it.
:lol:

Ta verilly. Cheque is in the post.

Ok, I listened again...that is something awful........silence.........:rolleyes::poke:

Now that I have really listened again it is very good for a first attempt...your kidding right?...you know the mistakes but the listner doesn't for the most part. I think we that play know how hard it is...the non players haven't a clue...the comparison you made of them remembering great guitarists playing is true I suspect and may not appreciate all the hours of work it takes to do that...lighten up!!

• Members

Ok, I listened again...that is something awful........silence.........
:rolleyes:
:poke:

Now that I have really listened again it is very good for a first attempt...your kidding right?...you know the mistakes but the listner doesn't for the most part. I think we that play know how hard it is...the non players haven't a clue...the comparison you made of them remembering great guitarists playing is true I suspect and may not appreciate all the hours of work it takes to do that...lighten up!!

Sorry. My poor choice of words. I didn't mean it was my first ever tune. I've done the usual stuff over the years, three chord wonders, half learned tunes etc. I meant to say this is the first time I have really, really tried hard to play something properly.

• Members

You should certainly keep playing. Listening to others playing music is inspiring, else you likely wouldn't be comparing yourself to the originator of this piece, so I wouldn't say that you shouldn't listen to the radio.

You did that very well. So long as you are improving, you are enjoying yourself, and at least keeping yourself amused, any of the rest of it is gravy.

People are usually their own worst critics. That is true of amateurs, professionals, beginners, and experts, and everyone in-between. Never quite satisfied, a perfectionist keeps practicing a piece or technique that they seem to have already mastered in order to achieve the incremental improvements that matter to them. So long as you remember that fact, so that you don't get too down on yourself and let your dissatisfaction with whatever weaknesses you perceive convince you that your efforts are futile and that you should "burn the canvas", or sell your guitars and play the radio, then your self-criticism can be constructive.

If I were you, I would start learning another tune as well. Others may disagree. I heard Tommy Emmanuel say once that when we're learning a piece, that should be the only thing we play until we've made it our own, until we can manipulate it and just play it. That works for a while for me, but I get bored after too long. ADD, or something. :D

• Members

I also enjoyed this very much. I've listened to a lot of different persons attempt at finger style and you are already beyond many of them. It seems like I've heard that tune somewhere but I can't remember where. It sort of reminds me of the kind of music you hear in the background of a PBS documentary. Very beautiful and relaxing.

I was going to say that I enjoy playing finger style myself, but I no longer have anything else to compare it to. I abandoned the guitar pick decades ago, even on my electric guitar. I got tired of losing my pick, LOL! A visiting friend of mine left one of his guitar picks a few months ago. Out of curiosity, I picked it up later and tried to use it. I felt completely lost and gave up trying after only about 1 minute. It's funny how a person can get so used to doing things a certain way.

Archived