Buzzing on two open strings??

johnkline

• Members

I'm getting some light buzzing on two strings, whether open or fretted. I did change the strings about a month ago and remember struggling with the crappy plastic pins. Did I not seat them correctly back in or could it be something with the saddle?

It appears well humidified, and it's a faint buzz unless I really dig into the string, but now that I notice it, it's annoying me. I was getting ready to order some bone bridge pins until I noticed this. Need to see what's going on

thanks

• Members

Is the buzzing occuring all up and down the fretboard or is it isolated to the first two frets? Did you change string guages from medium to light? I suspect that the neck relief needs a quick check. Take the guitar in hand and sight down the neck...it should be straight or slightly concave in curvature. If not then the truss rod can be adjusted to give the neck the proper relief needed for the strings in use.

• Members

Try just loosening the pins and pulling up on the strings to make sure they are seated against the bridgeplate.

This.

If it's buzzing open and fretted it's most likely improperly seated bridge pins or loose hardware (tuning machines). I seriously doubt it's a truss rod or high fret issue (unless it's a SERIOUSLY high fret).

Re-seat the bridge pins and see if that takes care of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I picked up some bone bridge pins and after making sure the strings are seated on the bridge, I put in the bone pins. These are a tight fit even though I ordered the correct size for a blueridge from maury's, but I may have to sand them down, they stick up more so than usual especially the low e string. That one was the tightest.

Unfortunately I'm still getting buzzing on open strings. It's the open 5th, 3rd, and 2nd strings the most. I don't think I hear buzzing on the E strings and the D. I do have a pickup installed so I was trying to see if the battery holder was vibrating, but it seems to be coming from the bridge. Do you think I should take the saddle out and reseat it? The relief appears normal from just taking a look at it, the first fret looks fine.

• Members

My first thought is 'did you change string brand or size?' A 1/8 turn of the truss rod might help.

However you are also talking about the bridge, pins, saddle, a pick up, etc.

I'm not much of a guitar mechanic but over the years Ive learned, if possible, to change only one item at a time on an acoustic. This even extends to changing a single string before I take another one off. This way if I get a buzz I know it's the last thing I did to the guitar.

• Members

The reason I'd mentioned a possible change to a lighter string gauge is that this can sometimes lead to a marginal straightening of the neck - typically within a week of a reduction in string gauge - due to the lower string tension, as well as potential buzzing at the nut if the strings are able to shift a little more than usual in their respective slots.

I'd check for loose wires buzzing against the inside of your guitar, as well as loose tuner bushings. Once you've checked those I'd check neck relief

To isolate whether or not the problem is at the bridge or nut I'd capo at the 1st fret then play - one string at a time - each consecutive fret down the neck as a means of also bringing to light any possible fret and/or neck relief problems. With the capo still in place at the 1st fret, depress the outer E strings at the 14th fret and - one at a time - check relief at the 7th fret. Somewhere between 0.08" and 0.10" relief is fine for normal play, but bear in mind the more aggressively you play, the more relief you'll tend to need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've put this project off for awhile but I removed the pins and noticed the saddle is a loose fit. It has too much play for a saddle, it came right up with no effort. It kind of leans slightly forward when adding the string tension on. Maybe it's the problem?

I've never had a saddle that wasn't at least snug. I ordered a new compensated bone saddle so we'll see what happens...

• Members

I've put this project off for awhile but I removed the pins and noticed the saddle is a loose fit. . . . Maybe it's the problem? . . .

Unlikely IMHO. String tension should be holding the saddle in place so that it doesn't buzz. If your saddle is so loose it rattles, even with the strings on, you have real problems. A properly fitting saddle will improve things overall by transmitting vibration better but it shouldn't have any effect on the buzz unless it's higher or lower than your old one.

• Members

I've had a similar experience on my 6-string since I changed the strings last. The G has a buzz. Whether you play it open or fretted. I did change gauges from lights (12) to custom lights (11).

I've been wondering what it may be but I haven't done anything to look into it. I haven't had much playing time since I changed the strings so it's kind of been out of sight, out of mind.

I will try the bridge pin and report back later today.

• Members

I just reseated the bridgepin on the buzzing string and there is no change. I made sure the ball end came all the way up, as I do whenever I change strings, so it seems no different than any other string I've installed.

Neck relief?

Archived