Once again singing the praises of medium gauge strings

kwakatak

• Members

I had D'Addorio EJ-16 (light gauge phosphor bronze) strings (and also had a set of ebony/MOP bridge pins) on my D-16GT and it sounded kinda wimpy. I guess part of the Martin allure is that they need medium strings to come alive but then again maybe my other two guitars give Martins a run for their money.

Regardless, as I was sitting on my bed watching a PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) tour of the Martin Guitar factory I was putting EJ-17s on the D-16GT. The ebony pins were too big for the medium strings and the micarta bridge didn't have any give, so on went the stock white plastic pins. After tuning up to my preferred pitch of each string a half step down I picked up my preferred medium Cool faux tort pick and was in bliss once again.

So to all you guys who went down to lights or lower for comfort reasons I just wanted to let you know what you're missing! :poke:

Sorry - just a little humor and friendly rivalry on my part. I don't mean to offend, just to ruffle some feathers and challenge my peers without being overly competitive.

FWIW, I chose a Martin this time around because I loved the tone. There's just something about the sustain and bass response of a Martin, regardless of the price point. By putting lights on it last time around I did it a great disservice and for a time actually regretted buying it. Compared to my Tak and my Larriv

• Members

I'm with you--mediums on all my dreads (excepting one lightly braced example with a bellying bridge). I have yet to find a larger bodied guitar that sounds "right" with anything less than 13's. I recently put a set of DR Sunbeam 13's on my Stanford OM and it took on a new personality.

• Members

Doesn't that alone change the feel of the string gauge you use? Do light gauge strings tuned to pitch feel like medium gauge strings tuned a half-step down?

Slightly, but it's still different. Lights were a bit too slinky even for flatpicking whereas mediums just feel more substantial to me. FWIW when strumming I like the strings to feel stiff so that I can get a truer tone without worry of inadvertently bending the strings. When I put lights on the D-16GT I found myself wanting to fingerpick it more, but like I said I bought it to strum and the lights just weren't cutting it.

• Members

The only guitar I have to handle mediums is my resonator.The Takamine or the Epiphone won't handle them.:cry: I had an old Conn dread that I used mediums on,even after the neck snapped on it.Played better after it was fixed.

• Members

Knock had mediums on the LL6 he sent to me. He tuned it down a half step. I gave them a shot for a couple of weeks. They sound great but I prefer standard tuning (I know - I could put a capo at the first fret). I put a set of 12's on it tuned it up to standard. I didn't notice a big loss of tone or volume. The 12's felt better to me. I had to tweak the truss a bit to account for the lighter strings.

I read an article a few weeks ago that stated some manufacturers advise players against putting mediums on engelmann spruce top guitars. Engelmann is softer than sitka.

The engelmann may be what makes the L Series sound so good. Some people describe engelmann as having a tone similar to aged / open sitka. :idk:

I would describe it as being somewhere between a warm cedar and a bright sitka. AKA "just right". ;)

• Members

I just hate playing a song in F or B flat with mediums. E flat sucks too.

Especially some slow fingerpicked ballad.

Fun times strumming in E though..........

Guitarcapo...Dae me a wee fav and get rid of that Beautiful burd on yer avatar

as she is dain ma head-in and i mean in a nice way

she's a bonnie wee burd likes :thu::)

Archived