OT: Ugh - Zoom ASIO driver install did something bad

kwakatak

• Members

I thought it'd be cool to hook up my Zoom H2 as a microphone but found that I didn't have the right driver so I did a search online, found what I thought I needed Zoom H Series ASIO driver) and installed it. Yes, there were a couple of warnings but I persevered and went through with the installation.

Long story short, it didn't fully work as advertised (it'd record but I had absolutely no audio playback whatsoever) and so I uninstalled it. Now my system performance is F#$KED and I'm wondering what I did.

OK, maybe "F#$KED" is not a good technical term but were talking about an older version of Windows (XP Home SP3) running on a partly-fried (only runs on DC power, apple juice spill fried the keyboard - gotta love kids!) Dell laptop (Inspiron 6400).

I've run Windows Restore a couple of times - no dice, says I don't need it.

I've done Antivirus scans - no dice

I even booted up Adaware and again - no dice

So what should I do? Time for a new computer?

• Members

OK, here's the issue: something is causing my system to "hiccup" and near as I can tell the HD is being accessed about 1 or 2X a second causing a sort of latency issue in the system performance. The cursor will "skip", audio files will also skip and last night I even got a weird video artifact when dragging a window across the desktop.

Thanks, Q. I tried the "last good config" upon bootup but I still have the same issue. I'm backing up my docs to an external HD and will boot from the CD next.

OGP, I tried System Restore going all the way back to last friday. I still have the same issue.

FWIW, I've looked in the device manager and nothing seems to be wrong there. I even reinstalled the old audio driver from CD.

• Members

Look into yer audio settings. Maybe in- or out- or midi-put are still connected to the non-existent Zoom ASIO.

Maybe ye have "dead" drivers.

Boot in safe mode (F8) and then start DeviceManager. Look for dead/duplicate drivers and clean up.

If problems still persist, I learned to give up, back up and fdisk/format/reinstall.

After all, it's Windows, isn't it?

• Members

?? Silly question?? Have you defragged it since you did all that installing and uninstalling? you might also want to defrag the Mem, or optimize it. go to C-Net.com for some free download programs (but read them carefully).

• Members

The Zoom may be set as your "playback device" much like when you install an AudioBox or other digital audio interface on your system. In which case, that would explain the lack of sound.

Check in the multi-media settings to see what installed devices are listed.

• Members

This certainly sounds like an interesting issue. The fact that system performance took a nosedive after uninstalling the driver certainly seems strange. And the fact that even a system restore, which should've overwritten any remnants of the driver, didn't fix the problem is even more interesting.

I don't think it's likely, but perhaps the ASIO driver changed something in the BIOS? That would explain why all your efforts to fix the system within Windows have been confounded. Maybe test the system using a live CD of a Linux distro? Don't install Linux, but just try it out using a live disk. It probably won't pinpoint the issue, but it'll almost certainly confirm a BIOS/hardware issue (or lack thereof).

• Members

Neil, get all your files off of this carcass and then wipe and reload your OS.

quit farting around with it.

I like your thinking. My wife is an IT professional and works with some pretty heady stuff. Once upon a time I was NT Certified but after almost blowing up our last Dell my wife really frowns upon me monkeying with the settings.

FWIW, the thing seems to be working again. She came home and did something to it. Or maybe it was one of the kids? :confused:

Regardless, we are looking to get a new computer soon. The limit's been set at $500 so it's looking like either another Dell or a Compaq or HP. :facepalm:

• Members

Regardless, we are looking to get a new computer soon. The limit's been set at $500 so it's looking like either another Dell or a Compaq or HP.
:facepalm:

$500 will get you a good Dell Inspiron from their http://outlet.dell.com site with full warranty. These are machines that have been shipped out and returned, who knows why? They got 2 of them for graduation, changed their mnds, realized they couldn't afford it. Whatever. Dell can't see them as new but they are "good as new". They test them then repackage them and put them in their outlet store.

• Members

$500 will get you a good Dell Inspiron from their
http://outlet.dell.com
site with full warranty. These are machines that have been shipped out and returned, who knows why? They got 2 of them for graduation, changed their mnds, realized they couldn't afford it. Whatever. Dell can't see them as new but they are "good as new". They test them then repackage them and put them in their outlet store.

You're just full of good news, aren't ya Q? ;)

Seriously, I'll have to check that out. Buying new is chancy though. We sent this POS back twice mostly due to wear and tear. What can I say? Kids are tough on things that are left out.

Do they give credit for "fair market value" of recyclable PC's like Apple does? I tell ya, if my old Apple were worth anything (even though it still runs it's 16 years old) I'd be pushing hard for an iPad.

• Members

I like your thinking. My wife is an IT professional and works with some pretty heady stuff. Once upon a time I was NT Certified but after almost blowing up our last Dell my wife really frowns upon me monkeying with the settings.

FWIW, the thing seems to be working again. She came home and did
something
to it. Or maybe it was one of the kids?
:confused:

Regardless, we are looking to get a new computer soon. The limit's been set at $500 so it's looking like either another Dell or a Compaq or HP.
:facepalm:

Do NOT buy an HP, man :eek:!

After having mine fry for no apparent reason and reading a boatload of negative reviews, I've vowed to never buy an HP laptop again. And I figured I'd slam them every chance I got too. Compaq is basically the same thing as HP these days, and I wouldn't recommend buying one of those either.

Toshiba makes good laptops and I'd recommend them. Lenovo/IBM business-class laptops are great and tough as nails, but they're pretty pricey unless you can find a good deal on an older model somewhere.

• Members

Believe it or not, the Gateway that I had for the last 3 years has been great. Still going strong, hinges in good shape. All the devices are working.

If I had to make recommendations, I'd say get an Acer, a Dell, a Gateway or a Mac. Stay away from Toshiba, Sony, and ESPECIALLY HP.

I've seen more dead HP dv series laptops. It's a design flaw - and a known issue.

• Members

Before buying anything, I would check out

http://www.tigerdirect.com/indexus.asp?

But that's just me............

I have been dealing with these guys over ten years now and they have been nothing but great with me. If I get something from them and I am not quite satisfied with anything about there products, they email me a return shipping label for free and I send it back, no questions asked. I can call them and compare differences between products and which item might be best to use in any given situation.

Just some food for thought

Archived