kurt cobain Martin D-18E acoustic

Walters9515

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, he played a 1958 D-18e modified to have 3 pickups on the outside- it was a chop-job, he didn't want to play it at the Unplugged gig, and really it wasn't treated as an acoustic. You'd have to really butcher (imo of course) an acoustic to get close to the sound he got. It sounds nice for most of that album, but it'd feel like a waste to me to "wreck" a guitar just to do impressions.

EDIT: Realised that was a bit unhelpful. Basically, the sound he got came from the 3 pickups. I honestly don't think it'd have mattered a damn what acoustic he used, but the D-18e was a Frankenstein to start with. That's why it was only produced for less than a year. Anything with a piezo pickup plugged straight into a distort pedal will be close.

• Members

What acoustic guitars come with pickups already in the acoustic guitar?

What 3 pickups names did kurt use on his please?

That Martin came w/ either one or two DeArmonds (the black and silver P/Us), depending on the year model, plus it had a Bartolini sound hole P/U...I've heard that the Bartolini was the only one that was working at that concert, but I have no idea if that's true.

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/images/*D-18E.jpg

He ran the guitar into a stomp box distortion pedal and then into a Fender SF Twin Reverb.

If you want a acoustic w/ a factory magnetic P/U, try the Epiphone EJ-160 "John Lennon"...decent sound plugged in.

eppiphone_ej160e.jpg

Or an Ibanez Talman

talmanbody.jpg

Or, if you want that retro-thang, this Harmony H55 (used to have one of these...very funky sound for slide!)

H55_Sovereign_01.jpg

• Members

I remember that the old school pickups in the guitar weren't used - it was just the soundhole pickup that was added for the concert. Then again this is what I remember from an article I read years ago, so it might not be 100% accurate. His "acoustic" tone on the Unplugged album wasn't very good, but I don't think that's exactly what he was going for either.

• Members

Hey Terry, weren't you fixin' to put a P90 on one of your boxes? Did you do that?

Not yet...still looking for the right guitar/pickup combination...but, it's still on the backburner, as it were.

Basically, I'm looking for a jumbo cutaway w/ a laminated top (cuts down on feedback), which I want to put a p-90 (or similar) on and I'll put the tone/volume controls on the rim, up by the neck (easier to find a case that'll fit well).

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hello All, I just happend to run across this message board when I typed in Cobains Martin. I happen to own this "holy grail"! I need some serious help from someone to lead me in the right direction on how and where to look into saleing it! Please serious comments only, for I dont have the time to waste on non serious remarks. If any has any questions about this guitar please feel free to post them and I will get you the answer! Thanks, A-BRO:eek:

• Members

Hello All, I just happend to run across this message board when I typed in Cobains Martin. I happen to own this "holy grail"! I need some serious help from someone to lead me in the right direction on how and where to look into saleing it! Please serious comments only, for I dont have the time to waste on non serious remarks. If any has any questions about this guitar please feel free to post them and I will get you the answer! Thanks, A-BRO:eek:

"holy Grail" ... I think that might be pushing it a bit. are you claiming to own the same model or the actual one that he played? Just trying to get a feel for the level of BS you are pushing..

• Members

That Martin came w/ either one or two DeArmonds (the black and silver P/Us), depending on the year model, plus it had a Bartolini sound hole P/U...I've heard that the Bartolini was the only one that was working at that concert, but I have no idea if that's true.

Or, if you want that retro-thang, this Harmony H55 (used to have one of these...very funky sound for slide!)

H55_Sovereign_01.jpg

Terry,

I now...because of that picture I SO want one of those guitars....I blame you for this:freak:

Peace,

OGP

• Members

Terry,

I now...because of that picture I SO want one of those guitars....I blame you for this:freak:

Peace,

OGP

I hear ya OGP. About every four months I get on my kick, I want a Harmony. :lol: This pic has started my gas, again. They had that Harmony on EBay copula weeks back. Put it on reminder but forgot anyway ...... dumb, dumb, dumb!!. Here it is ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270146553051&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

• Members

I hear ya OGP. About every four months I get on my kick, I want a Harmony.
:lol:
This pic has started my gas, again. They had
that Harmony
on EBay copula weeks back. Put it on reminder but forgot anyway ...... dumb, dumb, dumb!!. Here it is ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270146553051&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Trina!...STOP it!!!!...:lol:

Like I really needed to see close up detailed pics of it?....Now I have to find one!!!

Sometimes stuff like that shows up here from time to time in one of those what I like to call the "over priced used instrument boutique/emporiums". In my younger years they where known as pawnshops and you could buy something like an old Harmony like that for $75 bucks...now because of eBay everything is "Vintage"...sheeshe!:rolleyes:

OGP

• Members

I wonder if one of these Wechter guitars wouldn't be able to get a creditable job of getting that "unplugged" tone:

PathMLaceART-large.jpg

They have a preamp that allows you to select or blend the tones from an undersaddle piezo PU, a soundhole magnetic PU and a condensor mike.

• Members

I kinda like that clanky sound on that record. I mean, not for myself, or anything, but it was the right sound for the songs.

KC was pretty darn good at that - taking what would be considered by most guitarists horrible sounds, and making them work. :thu:

• Members

Yes I own the VERY ONE KURT PLAYED, NO B.S. Heritage Auction house and I are in the process of placing it up for sale! I care less if you believe this! Anyone with any suggestions before I sign a consignment.

• Members

The bar, in the sound hole was the only pickup working on this Martin, There is a plug where they ran a input, that you can clearly see in the Video. Nickle strings were the only thing that sounded good with the orignal pickups. He used bronze the night of the Mtv unplugged show. With nickle strings on the guitar now and being strung right handed, it sounds great through my bluesbreaker Marshall 2-12.

• Members

I wonder out of the 302 that were produced in 1958-59 how many today are still out there? I saw a single pickup Martin around the same year at the Indy guitar show! Seriously though if anyone has any opinions about the sale of this ax please feel free to post! THANKS____A-BRO

Archived