Malaise. My enthusiasm has gone.

baldbloke

• Members

Yet another period of not playing is on the cards, I fear. Two weeks have passed. I couldn't be bothered picking up a guitar. I wasn't too busy or anything. Just didn't feel like I wanted to. After spending the last eighteen months practicing like there was no tomorrow, suddenly I can't be bothered. Two weeks of doing "nowt". I finally picked up one of my guitars tonight. Played for around an hour. It was {censored}e. Utter {censored}e. No timing, no feel. It wasn't the worst I have ever played. But it's the worst I've done in while.

Will I pick a guitar up tomorrow? Dunno. Might, might not. It's happened before but I have never experienced such a burst of enthusiasm as I have in the last eighteen months. It would be a shame to see all the effort of those months disintegrate and come to zilch.

I'm sure many people experience similar. It's such a difficult thing to master an instrument. Any instrument. Not just guitar. No wonder many give up early on.

For those of us who will never gig or play to an audience, how do you keep your motivation constant?

• Members

Its easy to keep my motivation up because I am literally addicted to the guitar. I know I have an addictive personality, and before guitar it was video games and stuff that wasn't so good for me. When I kicked one habit I picked up another. But guitar has far outlasted all the others, and I think its a good addiction. My ex-wife was in school to be a medical assistant, and she said I went through withdrawal symptoms if I want too long without playing, though on the other hand she was/is a large collection of issues.

As far as advice on renewing your enthusiasm, I would suggest learning something completely different and new, or learning songs people around you really like. I love how someone reacts when they hear you playing their favorite song.

• Members

It's happened before but I have never experienced such a burst of enthusiasm as I have in the last eighteen months. It would be a shame to see all the effort of those months disintegrate and come to zilch.

Take a break. 1 week, 5 weeks, whatever. The effort will not be lost. I take breaks also, the last, and longest, guitar break was about 4 years as I was concentrating on the ukulele. I felt I had become a better guitarist after that. Then the second break was the uke, about 6 months while getting to know the guitar again.

And once again, I feel a better uke player having done that. It'll be there for you, and the pick up period will be short when you come back.

One question though, why not take it to a pub for an open mic night?

One more suggestion, you could try the uke, it is, after all, just a 4 string guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

• Members

One question though, why not take it to a pub for an open mic night ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baldbloke a agree with the above

And you can sing Caledonia in an English bar :lol:.. as a would :)

• Members

For those of us who will never gig or play to an audience, how do you keep your motivation constant?

To me, there seems to be an endless amount of challenging material. Explore a new genre.

I've only been playing for about 15 months, but I have a deep list of stuff I want to learn -- every piece by Mississippi John Hurt, Windy and Warm, Fur Elise, and I want to bone up on a bunch of theory.

Haven't even thought about writing songs or improvising yet.

I'd also like to build a guitar someday.

I figure I've got another decade or so before I get bored. :)

• Members

To me, there seems to be an endless amount of challenging material. Explore a new genre.

I've only been playing for about 15 months, but I have a deep list of stuff I want to learn -- every piece by Mississippi John Hurt, Windy and Warm, Fur Elise, and I want to bone up on a bunch of theory.

Haven't even thought about writing songs or improvising yet.

I'd also like to build a guitar someday.

I figure I've got another decade or so before I get bored.
:)

It ain't boredom. It's something else with no name, but it's there, and every bit as valid as boredom. Odd, but it's hard to explain. I suppose I'm putting "feelings" in the OP that are just projection from me perhaps, but having been thru this a few times in 35 or so years, it ain't boredom. But it's real and can be depressing.

Do an open mic. Just once, this is the doctor's prescription. And remember, doctors are just "practicing'.... 3 songs, 15 minutes, and yer outta there.

• Members

I guess I'm not a fan of the "take a break" advice. Taking a break is basically giving yourself permission to quit.

Even if I was feeling burnt out, I think I'd try to keep the guitar in my daily routine. Just warm up and then put it away if you're not inspired.

Inspiration and motivation will happen, but it's more likely to happen with a guitar in your hands.

• Members

I guess I'm not a fan of the "take a break" advice. Taking a break is basically giving yourself permission to quit.

Even if I was feeling burnt out, I think I'd try to keep the guitar in my daily routine. Just warm up and then put it away if you're not inspired.

Inspiration and motivation will happen, but it's more likely to happen with a guitar in your hands.

Of course not... now. You've been playing for 15 {censored}ing months. When you've played for 10 years, let me know how many breaks you've taken. Could be just a week, could be 2 weeks. You could get married, have kids, and be gone for 10 years and come back, but it'll happen.

You'll understand, please don't take this as a flame.

• Members

The worse thing you could do is NOT take a break. If you keep pushing it, playing will start to feel like a chore to you & you'll quit. I don't think it's boredom we're talking about, it's more like repetition gets repetitious.I love salmon patties, but, I couldn't eat them every day.

• Members

Of course not... now. You've been playing for 15 {censored}ing months. When you've played for 10 years, let me know how many breaks you've taken. Could be just a week, could be 2 weeks. You could get married, have kids, and be gone for 10 years and come back, but it'll happen.

My understanding is that he played years ago and already took a lonnng break.

For me, the approach of taking a break hasn't worked in other pursuits. I need a routine to keep the momentum, but it's easy to mix up a routine to keep it interesting.

• Members

Try an alternate tuning and/or capo.

Voila! New Guitar!
:D

That's a very good advice!

Also, when you don't feel like playing, listen to music you like or look for genres of music you may like!

It's fun to watch videos on Youtube. You may even find a song that'll make you pick your guitar because of one riff you want to learn!

:wave:

• Members

Mine too. {censored} it.

Honestly, enthusiasm doesn't come and go. It waxes and wanes. You don't play to stick a cucumber down your pants and make 30,000 ladies lust crazed. You play for the good of your soul. You play because... well, that's what you do. Don't push. Don't pull. Just play. Blessings.

Archived