Malaise. My enthusiasm has gone.

baldbloke

• Members

My opinion on this is ... complex. Opinions.

I don't think a person should give up their music, but I can see how time might pass between playing. I have played guitar for over 20 years. I look at that number and think, "that can't be right", but I do the same thing when I start counting my birthdays, and my childrens' birthdays. Just numbers.

I have gone weeks between actually playing an instrument. Months? I can't remember doing that, except when I was in the army and didn't have one around from time to time. But even when I didn't have one near, someone did, and they were always kind enough to share.

If a person is in such a place where they can't be arsed (what a great Britishism that is) to play every day, they should still play some. Cut back. Play for fifteen minutes. What's it going to hurt?

But if guitar was just a passing fancy and you're done with it, be done, then. For me, I can't imagine it. Making music is so integral to my life, I'd be forever feeling like I'd lost a limb. I still feel that way, just a bit, about giving up my French Horn. It took 20 years of hauling the thing around to finally and fully accept that I cannot physically play it anymore, and to let it go. But I could never let music go.

If you're looking for encouragement or a solution to boredom, pick a different genre of music or style of guitar, and focus on that for a while. My own playing was energized significantly a few years ago when I played electric almost exclusively for half a year. I was exploring something so new and foreign to me (my brother gave me a Stratocaster, after only ever playing acoustic), that my enthusiasm and curiosity about the instrument grew by leaps and bounds.

Try something new. Or take a break. Up to you, and mostly only affects you. Do what makes you happy.

• Members

Baldbloke,

Is it possibly you are wanting to come back home to Scotland home sick in a

way possible ? Homesick fir Gods-Land :)

Anyway just cut down playing a touch as possibly you have been trying to hard and that way you wont enjoy it the same "My Guess"

I only play for 30 mins approx a day but do feel that a should up it to an hour or so a day

I concentrate on the one song mainly at a time..say a verse one at a time
if there's more an awkward line or 3 ill just concentrate on such a more difficult part of song..

As like you i want to in time get out and play..that shall be more so difficult
in front of people i know..but have to try eventually sometime and the Edinburgh International Festival is now just over so my best bet would possibly be going when quieter out in bars..as still a learner fir sure
and best id guess to go out when quieter and try pick up confidence along the way..and id then be hoping to get touch better for when the nxt Edinburgh Festival comes along nxt Aug..but hoping to get out soon sometime..and by the time its busier again..hopefully i shall have picked up a bit more in confidence..

Ps Here's a few line's in a song i believe in.. by a fav of mine below
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodbye Ma Sister dont ye let me see ye cry, am gonna be a star some-day

no matter what they all say.. and when ye hear the crowds all coming
and shouting out ma name.. until then ma little friend.. ill be unsatisfied

Fare ye well.. ma family.. dont ye know a mean so well..

a appreciate but a must make a break.. just to see what a can do

the stage is set.. so understand a cant hide in yer wings no more

a gotta go now.. its no use me staying home..
but a Love you.. shall a write or fone fae Paris or Rome..
think im always gonna miss ye.. even though you tried to hold me back..
------------------------------------------
Baldguy .. Keep At It.. but no harm calming down a touch
we all need a break..you are on same level or probs even better than masel

But Hey a know once the confidence comes a wont step-back from anyone

EVER again..i shouldve stuck in when younger..but thats another story

A wont type up here

Anyhow You Keep The Faith.. And Just Cut Down When You Feel You Need To Only For You..Then When Wanting To Play Sing Then Do It For You

Meantime awe the best :thu:

• Members

Thank you for the responses. I was on my 4th can of beer when I wrote that opening post. By the 6th can, I was watching Russ barenberg on dvd and thinking, "I could do that someday". :)

It's no big deal. My interest in hobbies is cyclic. I went fishing for 20 years. Every day I'd fish, or plan to go fishing. I could think of little else. Then, bang. Lost interest. Weird, because I was just getting good at it. Started winning a few matches. Hmmm, no psychoanalysis, please. Hell, ain't 20 years on one hobby enough?

Guitar, well, it takes so long for me to learn a tune. It gets a little tedious. I do love alternative tunings. They really put new life in. Open mic? Nah, too much of a coward. I won't be giving up altogether, just playing less often. And as for moving back to Scotland, Tart, I think Mrs Baldbloke might have an opinion on that. She has a full time hobby at a livery yard here. She just loves those 'osses. Besides, 50 years old, jobs ain't easy to come by. I'm staying put. I like it in Yorkshire.

• Members
Thank you for the responses. I was on my 4th can of beer when I wrote that opening post. By the 6th can, I was watching Russ barenberg on dvd and thinking, "I could do that someday".
:)

It's no big deal. My interest in hobbies is cyclic. I went fishing for 20 years. Every day I'd fish, or plan to go fishing. I could think of little else. Then, bang. Lost interest. Weird, because I was just getting good at it. Started winning a few matches. Hmmm, no psychoanalysis, please. Hell, ain't 20 years on one hobby enough?

Guitar, well, it takes so long for me to learn a tune. It gets a little tedious. I do love alternative tunings. They really put new life in. Open mic? Nah, too much of a coward. I won't be giving up altogether, just playing less often. And as for moving back to Scotland, Tart, I think Mrs Baldbloke might have an opinion on that. She has a full time hobby at a livery yard here. She just loves those 'osses. Besides, 50 years old, jobs ain't easy to come by. I'm staying put. I like it in Yorkshire.

Everyone, RELAX! :cop:

Looks like baldbloke is doing just fine! :thu:

• Members

Guitar, well, it takes so long for me to learn a tune. It gets a little tedious.

I hear you. I can accept the idea that "mastering" the guitar is a long journey, but it sometimes feels like a PITA when every single new tune is another mountain to climb.

I imagine the mountains get smaller once you acquire fluency -- recognize the key, the progression, and effortlessly translate between the notes you hear and the notes on the fretboard. That's a long way off for me.

• Members
For those of us who will never gig or play to an audience, how do you keep your motivation constant?

I've had very similar problems myself in the past. In my case, it was caused by problems within my own personal life that triggered depression. In turn, the depression pretty much destroyed my creatively and eventually even ruined my will to enjoy pretty much anything in life. Not just playing the guitar.

When I got rid of the problem (i.e. 40 year old lazy-assed step-son that wants to live with us for free and not work :mad:) then everything went back to normal. Problem solved.

• Members

Yet another period of not playing is on the cards, I fear. Two weeks have passed. I couldn't be bothered picking up a guitar. I wasn't too busy or anything. Just didn't feel like I wanted to. After spending the last eighteen months practicing like there was no tomorrow, suddenly I can't be bothered. Two weeks of doing "nowt". I finally picked up one of my guitars tonight. Played for around an hour. It was {censored}e. Utter {censored}e. No timing, no feel. It wasn't the worst I have ever played. But it's the worst I've done in while.

Will I pick a guitar up tomorrow? Dunno. Might, might not. It's happened before but I have never experienced such a burst of enthusiasm as I have in the last eighteen months. It would be a shame to see all the effort of those months disintegrate and come to zilch.

I'm sure many people experience similar. It's such a difficult thing to master an instrument. Any instrument. Not just guitar. No wonder many give up early on.

For those of us who will never gig or play to an audience, how do you keep your motivation constant?

There are cycles in everything, including enthusiasm.

But just like it's possible to surf your enthusiasm (and so get a longer ride), it's equally possible to allow yourself to get out of the habit of picking up that guitar -- and, let's face it, we are creatures of habit. If you get into the habit of not playing, it's easy to keep in that groove.

If playing is important to you -- and it sounds like it is -- it's likely to be worthwhile to sit yourself down and just play for a minimum of 10 or 15 minutes a day, an amount of time almost any of us can create most daysand enough to keep your basic motor system kind of hooked up. (What you've really got to watch for is leaving the guitar in its case for days, weeks, or worse, at a time... I keep at least one guitar out and handy all the time. Doesn't have to be your prized baby. Could be your beach/camping beater -- with some folks, it's less 'intimidating' just grabbing a beater guitar.

But if you're having motivation problems, having no guitar out in plain sight, inviting you to pick it up, can contribute to the problem... you have to get down as many barriers as possible.

• Members

I've had "breaks" that lasted years. But not from lack of interest. More that I wasn't doing anything new on guitar (boredom/frustration), and also life kind of got in the way.

I wish I hadn't done that. What would surely have worked for me would have been to take a lesson, or to begin playing with others who could show me stuff.

Another thought I had is get into another instrument, as at least a temporary measure. Something similar like bass or mando, or more different, like keyboards.

• Members

I am going through a bad burn-out myself. I`ve been playing in bars and on the road pretty much full time since I was 22 (I`m 47).The last 6 years I was with a bluegrass band and a kind of Jazz/swing band and played out at least 4-5 days a week, sometimes playing 2-3 different gigs in a day plus my practice routine was grueling. My elbows started giving out with bad tennis elbow and I went through a bunch of other medical issues forcing me to slow down to a grinding halt..

to make a very long story short I moved to a different town a few months ago where I know no one and pretty much dropped out from gigging until I met up with a rockabilly/jump blues band.Now I have new stuff to work on though I`m still not playing out much due to a bunch of reasons, but at least my guitar is out of it`s case at home and I have fresh music to work on.

Even though I took a break, mainly because my elbow hurt so bad I couldn`t pick up a glass of water, I still thought about the guitar every day, and took the time to do alot of listening. Bought alot of new music and saturated myself with a new genre. It at least gave me the motivation to join a new band.

• Members

Well baldbloke you have had some gd replies so What you doing ?

Keep with it but cutting down with practice ?

id say best is just cut down.. but keep yer arm in

ok to have odd day without.. but best to keep with it ..end of the day though

its your choice.. Gd luck :thu:

• Members

Thank you folks. It really has been nice reading the responses this topic received. It seems that most folks take breaks from playing for a variety of reasons. That is good to know.

My guitars are all out on show. My two favorite guitars are sitting within arms length right now. They will not go in their cases. I will be playing. Just less frequently.

Why did I ask for advice? Well, since being a whippersnapper Ive always wanted to learn to play properly. I had hoped, this time round, (Yes, I've had many breaks before) perhaps my dedication was greater than it was. I was feeling guilty about not practicing. It's a hobby. I shouldn't feel guilty about not practicing. But there are times I want to learn to play well. it becomes a flame. Vive la flame. (Ma

• Members

jeez i'm exactly feeling the same i just cant be bothered playing these days.i was going to a session every Friday night up until 2 months ago but most of the guys seem to enjoy drugs more than playing guitar .
ah i suppose everyone goes through this kind of thing every now and then.

Archived