Darco strings,yay or nay?

KATMAN

• Members

I went checking on a cheap clasical guitar to today,and while I was at one store I picked up a set of Darco ball end nylon strings.Has anyone heard or used these brand of strings? They're made by the C.F.Martin co.,so I figure if Martin made them,I'd give it a shot.I mainly bought them because I got them for $5.00. They're not Savarez or any high dollar ones,but what the hey,if I don't like them I can always buy the good stuff next time. Anyone try Darco's?

• Members

I went checking on a cheap clasical guitar to today,and while I was at one store I picked up a set of Darco ball end nylon strings.Has anyone heard or used these brand of strings? They're made by the C.F.Martin co.,so I figure if Martin made them,I'd give it a shot.I mainly bought them because I got them for $5.00. They're not Savarez or any high dollar ones,but what the hey,if I don't like them I can always buy the good stuff next time. Anyone try Darco's?

I used to use Darco steel strings back in the '70's when I first started playing; they were one of the top brands. No idea what they're like today, and never played their nylon strings.

• Members

Funky!

I had no idea Darco made strings in the past 20 years. Maybe somebody bought up the brand, like they did with Danelectro, Black Diamond, etc.

Looks like Martin bought the brand.The Martin logo is on top of the box.I was looking for ball end nylon strings,since my tying job looks like a 6 year old tying on first fishing lure. :facepalm:

• Members

Can't speak for their nylons but their plain steel strings seem to be about as good as any. A while back, I decided to set up my Alvarez RD10 beater in Nashville tuning. I put a set together from individual strings at a local mom and pop and all but one string was a d'Addario; the odd string out was a Darco. I haven't found a difference.

• Members

I bought them because they were cheap,and they had ball ends.I'll most likely use them in a emergency. I have some tie on D'Addaio's EXP right now,which I am pleased with them. I was recomended St.Augustine strings for best overall tone.This was from a professional classical player on another guitar forum.

• Members

I bought them because they were cheap,and they had ball ends.I'll most likely use them in a emergency. I have some tie on D'Addaio's EXP right now,which I am pleased with them. I was recomended St.Augustine strings for best overall tone.This was from a professional classical player on another guitar forum.

I use the St Augustines on my Gypsy Jazz box and love them! Thomastik-Infeld are also great strings (imo).

Archived