Please help me to choose new tuners for my Seagull S6

Nimzo2005

• Members

The sixth string tuner of my Seagull S6 is getting harder and harder to turn. I'd like to change it by myself. But, first, I have to choose a new one(s) and there are so many options. Seagull guitars are equipped with 14:1 tuners. 12:1 are more accurate? Of course, I don't want to spend too much (no Waverly). Have someone already done this? Many thanks.

• Members

Hard to go wrong with Grovers and I personally think the tuners they put on Seagulls are ugly. However, first make sure they fit. Measure your existing tuners (I don't own a Seagull so I don't know what brand of tuners yours has) then go here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html and find something that will fit. You don't necessarily have to buy the new ones from StewMac but they're a great source of information.

• Members

Is your guitar under warranty???

If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to contact Godin (Seagull) and tell them about the problem, even if the guitar isn't under warranty. Maybe they will send you a new tuning peg for free!

Here is the link: info@seagullguitars.com

Good luck!!

Edit: I would also include a picture with an "X" showing the position of the defective tuning peg and your address. It would make it even easier for them to just grab a new tuning peg and mail it to you and maybe send you and email too to tell you about it!

Just my $ 0.02 !!

• Members

The sixth string tuner of my Seagull S6 is getting harder and harder to turn. I'd like to change it by myself. But, first, I have to choose a new one(s) and there are so many options. Seagull guitars are equipped with 14:1 tuners. 12:1 are more accurate? Of course, I don't want to spend too much (no Waverly). Have someone already done this? Many thanks.

Have you tried loosening the screw on the button? On some tuners, how tight you make that screw determines how freely the button turns.

I changed the tuners on my Seagull parlor and my Larrivee. I went with Gotoh 410s. I really like the performance of the tuner, but the pegs are pretty short. They work fine, it's just more of a challenge to change the strings because of the short pegs.

Seagulls have unique tuners. They don't have a set screw to hold the tuner in place, but rather a few "claws" that dig into the wood. If you go with new tuners, you will most certainly have to get a luthier to do it.

• Members

Is your guitar under warranty???

If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to contact Godin (Seagull) and tell them about the problem, even if the guitar isn't under warranty. Maybe they will send you a new tuning peg for free!

Here is the link:
info@seagullguitars.com

Good luck!!

Edit: I would also include a picture with an "X" showing the position of the defective tuning peg and your address. It would make even easier for them to just grab a new tuning peg and mail it to you and maybe send you and email too to tell you about it!

Just my $ 0.02 !!

:thu:

• Members

Some of the other forumites suggested attempting to replace the stock 14:1 tuner by contacting the maker. I second that suggestion, as 14:1 is a decent ratio tuner. However, I wanted to clear up something you asked about 12:1. No, they are not more accurate. You're going the wrong way, ratio-wise. If you go with a completely new set, choose 18:1. I have replaced two different sets of 14's with 18's and they are noticeably more accurate and stable. Not a bad investment at around 45 bucks.

Okay, good luck on your repair.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Regarding  -Seagull Tuners- (MachineHeads) but in Canada they call them Tuning Pegs, I do believe.

I Recently Bought a used                         " Segull Performer (beautifully made & sounds Outstanding  ).

SO I WAS CURIOUS & LEARNING DIFFERENT TUNER PEGS and WHY SO CONFUSING TOO, (I still don't know alot BuT BUT....

BUT CHECK IT !!!

The Info I Had Received from Seagull was Very Enlightening I Must Say....

DoNT QUOTE ME, But Seagull uses 2 different Ratios Top 3 are BASS and Other 3 are Tribble...

So....  Using A Brand Called

Brand :

~~NOVA~~                              BASS ×3=   ~~ 19:1                         TREBLE ×3=    ~~21:1

Now after learning this, it makes Complete & Wonderful Sense. 

Hope All U Get A Kick Outta That ;)

I'm Mike S and Thanks For Letting Me Chime My 2 Cents today ;)

Ithrowmusic@yahoo.com 

Ithrowmusic@gmail.com 

Thanks,   

Holy Crap I'M 11 YEARS LATE REPLYING TO THIS POST hahaha WOAH 😳 ✌ 

I'm Out , Peace ✌ 

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I just got an older Seagull S6 original acoustic.  Sound is fantastic, playability is decent without a pro set up but the tuner buttons are really tiny.  I change tunings quite a bit and want to throw a set of grovers on it, I assume I would need to drill the holes bigger which worries me since the headstock is so small overall.