Good deal? Help

danxrs05

• Members

Hey guys. I have a Martin D-15 but I am looking to buy a cheap (but not too bad) guitar to play around the fire during the summer.

No way I'll bring my Martin even close to a fire!!!

So a friend of mine wants to sell me her guitar. She tried to learn but did not like it.

It's a Fender CD-60 acoustic guitar. All black. With hard case.

She is selling it to me for 100$

Is it good?

It's brand new.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0960600206

• Members

I haven't played that guitar, and $100 is an ok price for a guitar that sells for $200 new.

It is all laminmate (plywood). The problem w/Fender acoustics is that they are always changing models and factories of production. Fender generally doesn't get high regard. They do, however, make some decent guitars. The one you are looking at is not one I personally would want.

At that price, I would try to find a nice used Yamaha FG700s. It has a solid wood top (makes a big difference in sound) and quite a large following.

• Members

Well, as Totamus has already said, $100 isn't a bad price if it's any good, and I totally agree with him.

I happen to own an old Fender F-65 that I bought back in early 1982 that was two weeks old when I got it. It's a downright D-28 clone and I paid $210 for it and it's probably the best $210 guitar I ever owned. But, I don't think I'd buy a new Fender acoustic these days except for maybe the DG-100 that goes for about $250.

I'd also recommend the Yamaha FG700S at $200 new, or less if used. And, I've also seen Guitar Center sell the Yamaha F325 (or maybe it was the F335) for "under" $100, meaning $99. Either one of these is a great buy for that price. I'd sooner do that than spend the same money on the used Fender.

Fender doesn't get a lot of love when it comes to their acoustic line. However, I feel, if they really wanted to, they could build some fantastic acoustic guitars. They just consentrate their efforts more in the "Strat" and "Tele" line of electric guitars. They DO know which side their bread is buttered on.

• Members

I don't think much of the guitar, but you said that there's a hard case with it. If it's a decent case, that's worth maybe $30-$40 right there. That makes $100 sound more like a pretty good deal, if you can live with a cheap lam guitar.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Play the guitar a bit and see you like it reasonably (I mean, its not like you're going to be playing this guitar exclusively all summer). If you do like it, I say go for it.

• Members

This goes back to another thread.. but sure, good deal, yada yada...

Having typed that, you have a Martin D-15. You're afraid to take it near the campfire? That's a good, durable, playing guitar that's not afraid to be taken camping, and is secretly hoping you'll allow it to get some of it's own mojo.

• Members

Having typed that, you have a Martin D-15. You're afraid to take it near the campfire? That's a good, durable, playing guitar that's not afraid to be taken camping, and is secretly hoping you'll allow it to get some of it's own mojo.

+1000, it's meant to be played...

• Members

Bugger that:). If I took my best guitar camping and some b*****d accidentally sat on it, I'd be gutted.

Just sayin'.

• Members

Bugger that:). If I took my best guitar camping and some b*****d accidentally sat on it, I'd be gutted.

Just sayin'.

Someone sitting on my guitar would probably give it more mojo than I would want. The person doing the sitting would accumulate some mojo of their own too. :mad:

• Members

Just sayin'.

Ahh, then it's YOU that can't be trusted! It's really no different than having friends over to the house, it's just outside. You have a case, when not playing, it's in the case on the ground behind you. Simple.

But to each his own, serious. I've been to drunken camps too.

• Members

Fender doesn't get a lot of love for their acoustic lineup, as other folks have mentioned. But there are a few people around here that have Fender acoustics and like them, especially for what they paid. Maybe they're starting to get better :idk:?

Anyway, I'm with TN.Frank on this one. It's probably not the best deal you'll ever find, but sometimes helping out a friend is more important than pinching a few pennies. If it's a halfway decent guitar, I'd go for it.

• Members

Thanks guys. I decided to pass on it. I'll find soimething else.

Plus, yes I do have a Martin D-15. I play it A LOT. I just don't want to bring it outside near a fire where it's too hot.

I like my martin to be in a guitar friendly environment. This way, I take good care of it and it will last forever.

I tried a mini Martin (LX-1) this week-end...

WTF!!!!! I was flabergasted! Of course it does not project the sound like my D-15, but it is perfect to carry around, plays well (Solid spruce top) and it is small but not too small...for 339$ (I live in Canada) I think it is not too bad.

Anyway...to be continued.

• Members

Helping out a friend is good mojo.

If you can live with the not-so-great tone and iffy playability, I'd say go for it. As has already been said, the case is worth something, and you're looking for a beater anyway. No great loss if somebody sits on it, spills beer in it, etc.

Archived