VOM 33 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, October 10, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

rhancox Comments:

This is one of my favorite songs to play for people.

I've been recording everything separately, i.e. guitar, vocals, etc., but I decided I wanted to give this one the 'feel' that comes with playing and singing at the same time. I added some extra tracks but just to kind of round it out a bit.

The vocals lean a bit to the left, but that's from mic placement. I liked the way I played it so I didn't want do it again.

I did a video at the same time but when I put it together in MovieMaker, I couldn't get it in perfect sync with the audio. It's on my YouTube page (if you care to check it out), but I think it's a little distracting to watch and listen so I just posted the audio for the VOM.

I hope you like it.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Social Disease

Credits:
Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

tbryson Comments:

Pitar wrote some lyrics to a progression I was working on and though I didn't use that I did write a different set of chords and finger picked my way through it...I also added a few lyrics to better fit my melody...Hope he doesn't mind...Thanks!

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Her wake up World

Credits:
Pitar/Tbry 2010

garthman Comments:

The song appeared on the 1985 album 'Fables of the Reconstruction'.

Recorded in one take via Audacity

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Wendell Gee

Credits:
REM

Fendouglas Comments:

This was written in the 60's and it concerns a Jamaican-born Street Entertainer (Busker) called Seth Davy. His 'act' consisted of String Puppets, suspended from a wooden plank, which 'danced' as he tapped the plank in time to songs he would sing. He was well known in the 1890s for performing outside the 'Bevington Bush' bar (known locally as 'The Bevy' - and possibly the origin of the phrase 'going for a Bevy') which was located at Bevington Bush just north of Liverpool City Centre.

This is yet another song that has been sung extensively by a multitude of folkies (as well as Rolf Harris - but we won't go there!)

Recorded, as usual, 'off the cuff' in the true spirit of VOM - on my trusty Ibanez LE300 6 string - through a sEX1 mic and a Tascam US-122L; using Kristal for recording and mixing and Wavepad for converting to MP3

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
Seth Davy

Credits:
Glyn Hughes

jtarbet2 Comments:

This is a cover of my favorite Jackson Browne song!!

Absentee Post from:
jtarbet2

Title:
The Barricades of Heaven

Credits:
Jackson Browne

Melodeous Comments:

Goodall RCJC, Zoom H4, Garage Band with a bit of reverb. Recorded 1-take at 9:00 pm Saturday.

Absentee Post from:
Melodeous

Title:
You Took Me Down

Credits:
Original

Absentee Post from: chriscarnucci

Title: The Darker Side of Night

Credits: Chris Carnucci

Click to Listen

chriscarnucci Comments:

Hi all,

I finished this song the end of last month, but just slammed it together on VOM eve. Been so busy here its carzy. But a good busy!

I'm not sure how to explain this song. I'm hoping that somehow it will just explain itself. Some folks seem to get it, while others just stare at me like WTF are you talking about. I guess I'll leave it up to the masses to sort it out. Really looking forward to hearing everyone's submission! Thanks for listening.

Chris

The Darker Side of Night

• Members

I can always count on VOMs to hear some new (at least to my ears) music! I'm sure this month will be no different :thu:

As for my submission...

Title: Freak

Originally By: Days of the New

Several years ago, I posted my rendition of "Freak" by Days Of The New on YouTube. Well, flash forward a few years and I can now present it in completed form thanks to some excellent vocals from fellow YouTuber (is that a word?) kikmedown.

The guitar was recorded in one take (I can't speak for the vocals). If you're familiar with the original album version, you'll notice it doesn't sound quite the same... in part because I simply can't play like Travis and in part because my inspiration came from their "bootleg" album where it's just played a bit differently.

[YOUTUBE]usV5YFaxG4E[/YOUTUBE]

As always it's far from perfect, but, I had a blast playing it. Here's hoping you enjoy it!

• Members

Saying Hello

This month, I recorded a lot of crap. It was annoying. Stuff I know really well just didn't go into the machine sounding like I can sing or play or anything. Then one night, I had just listened to a Syren song that, for some reason, inspired me to just strum chords for a while.

So I started with that, and recorded what I was playing, got out some hand percussion stuff, and a couple of hours later, I had this. It's almost worth listening too, but still a bit rough. Hope you enjoy.

eta: link's working fine

• Members

Introducing Junko Ogawa

The great thing about open mics is the opportunity they present to collaborate with other musicians. And then to be delighted that the collaboration takes an unpredicted direction.

Junko (pronounced Joon'ko) is a talented singer/songwriter expatriate from Japan that frequents the same open mics I do. She's written some captivating orignal songs that she will wonderfully sing in English or Japanese as it suits the composition. And she accompanies herself on guitar and piano.

But it was her voice that immediately interested me. It will start out in a low, sultry, alto that can explode in a demonstration of power and range.

I think it was the low, sultriness that made me think that Junko and Patti Smith's "Dancing Barefoot" would make a great match. My thought was to keep pretty close to Patti's original recording from her album "Wave".

When I brought the project to Junko she was aware of Patti Smith but not this song. Once she listened to it she was intrigued and delved into the various live Smith performances of "Dancing Barefoot" posted on You Tube. The result was a take that is far more vocally ambitious and interesting than I had conceptualized, and I think marvelously demonstrates Junko's vocal and interpretive skills.

We'll be performing this together with me on the Hummingbird along with bass and percussion this Monday night at the open mic. (If that comes off well maybe I'll post it for next month's VOM.)

But this is how Junko and I rehearsed it.

"Dancing Barefoot"

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9738519

• Members

I have not participated in the past 4 or 5 VOMs... but I have been listening when I had the chance...

This is not freshly recorded but it is my most recent jam demo... hope you enjoy it! (i will listen to the posted songs later, gotta go to Church, I am the music Minister!! :D)

Bossa Nova

Song: One Note Samba

Recorded with a Epiphone Joe Pass Guitar

Hope you enjoy it (and sorry it is a little long)

http://www.box.net/shared/lnoy54tsdu

:wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=9730926

Jailer Jim. g'morning. any official account of the indicent has been quietly expunged from the records, but three hours of jail cred was extended to me last weekend when i got caught up in a case of mistaken identity. trying to make sure the mug shots will never be released. captured most of the story the following day with this song, written and zoomrecorded near spur, tx (bud from urban cowboy was from spur)....

Jailer Jim

cuffed and patted, my world in tatters

just tried to keep my peace

bridgeport cop said the reason for the stop

was i was going over the posted speed

some jospeh paul got cross with the law

when he was stealing cars for cash

"that's another guy" i stared in his eyes

but he said "put your hands on the dash"

took me in to a jail made of tin

made me change into stripes

jailer jim with the tattoo tan

said i was staying for the night

figured morning would come and we'd get this done

might as well get some sleep

gave me a blanket and pad, i was kinda mad

cause i had wet socks on my feet

found a spot on the wooden cot

laid flat, closed my eyes, and breathed

started to doze when the jailer rose

he had my clothes and the key

got busted out by my long-loved spouse

when she woke the county clerk

processing error caused this terror

"wait 'til morning" ain't gonna work

driving west again to see my friends

to fish, to sing, to rest

i'll get there by six cause all this got fixed

God's Will put to the test

em

am

• Members

Well here is my submission for this month.

The song is called Skye Of Tears. Something a little different musically. I'm not real happy with the way that YouTube is messing with the sound but there is nothing I can do about that. Anyways, give a listen.

Thanks

Tony

[YOUTUBE]b7YGeKFdGt0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Written last year. A song inspired by WTC/9-11-01 (the title), Peter Gabriel (intro lifted from Genesis, "Selling England by the Pound"), Dr. Seuss ("The Pale Green Pants"), R.E.M. ("Forgot to Breathe", "Losing My Religion"), Edward Lear ("The Owl and the Pussycat"), and an actual demigoddess (Virginia, who is my muse). Recorded this past summer in the stairwell of the palazzo where I lived in Rome. Guitar is my $9.99 plywood dread rescued from a pawnshop. Recorded 1-take on a Zoom H2. Kind of a quiet recording because it was very late at night and many other people had apartments served by that stairwell.

http://www.box.net/shared/50re81skpr

Lyrics:

Windows on the World [104]

• Members

Fixed.

Just take the part after the "v=" which is, in this case, b7YGeKFdGt0 -- and paste it inbetween the youtube tags.

Thanks. I don't know why it didn't work, other than one other time it's worked fine for me. Computers...sigh

Tony

• Members

Hi guys great music out there. Here is what I have listened to so far. Man some great lyrics this time around.

Rhancox - Social Disease, love the sound of that 12 string. Great tune. I am a big fan of the one take approach. I usually track everything separately, but this time did the one take thing. I think that often what you give up in clarity is more than made up for in performance. GREAT TAKE.

Fendouglas - Love this tune. You always seem to introduce me to "new" tunes that I can't believe I have never heard. Nice playing, the waltz is a hard style to nail. You did it well.

Jtarbet2 - Great tune. Love Jackson Browne. Very well sung.

Melodious - Nice song. Great guitar work. Great lyrics.

ChrisCarnucci - Hi Christian. Really enjoyed this song. I though the melody and the lyrics contrasted each other very well. To me it is a pretty melody, but with some heavy dark lyrics. I don't know if that was intentional, but it is cool. Nice job man!

Fussenkuh - Great collaboration. Great tune, makes me want to go out and break something!

Galabar - Great work on this. Nice playing on all tracks

hypcollector - Great tune. Man you can tell a story. Great lyrics.

MichaelMartin - Really nice recording. Another great story. You should get back to that stairway. Prefect ambience there man. Nice work.

• Members

Rhancox...Great vocals. I liked the feel. You impressed again!

Fendouglas...That was a cool old folkie tune. Well done.

jtarbet2....that was beautiful. Maybe a bit to much reverb. Good singing tho...

Melodeous...outstanding work. Love it!!

Chris C...Nicely done. I really enjoyed that.

Fussenkuth...That one was hard to relate to. Good effort.

Galabar...That was very cool. Nice job!!

Fretts 99...you are very good. Good heart and soul in this one.

mrmoe...nicely done.

Bransob...I liked that Never heard it before believe it or not. I have a knockoff Hummingbird but yours sounds better.

orbmi1...Nice bossa nova. That was wonderful sounding.

hypcollector...Well that was an interesting story. Hope it all worked out ok...they should destroy the pics...

MM...nice playing. very controlled and mellow.

• Members

OK, here we go...

"Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Bob Dylan

Recorded with my Martin 000-15S (no pickup) and an AKG 451 condenser mic. This is kind of an experiment. I recorded the guitar first (in one take) and then overdubbed the vocal. Next time I do this, I'll use a metronome. I was clearly speeding up at the end, I think because my hands were getting tired. This song is dedicated to my ex-wife.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Sangemon/Dont_Think_Twice.mp3

I'll be back later to listen and comment.

• Members

Hello all, GREAT VOM, as usual. I've been working on this for a couple of hours. The first order of business is to apologize to Dan Fogelberg for it :)

I've always loved this song and I kind of had a version of it in my head. I have tried this morning to put it into my computer and this is what came out.

It' has four tracks. 1. Guitar and vocals 2. Bass Guitar 3. some overdubbed vocals. I didn't even try harmony cause I ain't that good at it. 4 a pad that I did on my KX61 to fill in the choruses. Sounds kind of weird.

Anyway, just for laughs, my take on SCARECROW'S DREAM, Dan Fogelberg

Listen at your own risk.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/1Scarecrows_Dream.mp3

RT1:thu:

• Members

This song is called "A Letter From Santa" and I wanted to record this early so that anyone looking for a "different" Christmas song this year would have plenty of time to learn it if they want to play it.

I posted a multi-track of this on a few boards in 2009 when I wrote it and it got a lot of laughs.

[YOUTUBE]mR5PuqKQocc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well another great VOM. I loved everyones stuff. Thanks so much for all the nice comments, and here is what I have so far.

rhancox - loved the you tube video. Great job. That song realy does fit your vocal style well.

tbryson - Great song. I love the chord progression. The vocals and melody just fit right in. Nice!

gartman - nice cover. I love REM. I love that guitar work. well done.

fendouglas - I just love your accent and voice. I could listen to you sing comercial jingles! Great job, very entertaining.

jtarbet2 - Dude...awesome! Great playing and singing. Loved it.

melodeous - Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fussenkuh - Great job! A very dark kind of song :) Great playing and vocals.

sixgunner455 - I really like it. Well done.

galabar - I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that. A very nice arrangement. I really enjoyed it!

Frets99 - A darker arrangement. I like it. Sounds really haunting! Great job!

mrmoe - Very well written song. Played and sung very well. Great job!

bransonb - Nice colab. You two play well together. Let us know how the open mic goes.

orbm1 - Great playing and arrangement. Your stuff is so complete! Well done.

hypcollector - Cool song and story. Well done. Jail cred? :) Well it's more than I have. LOL

TSmusic - Very haunting piece. Nice... I like the smoke and candle for atmosphere!

Michael Martin - Very cool. That is my favorite I've heard from you yet! Well done.

bluedog79 - Smoking cool tune! THat is every thing the blues are supposed to be! Smoking cool!

Sagemon - Nice cover. I always liked that one, and you did it well.

recordingtrack1 - Nice tune, and you play it very well. Good job.

Deepend - Very nice worship song. Well done!

Masterbuilt - Very cute tune. Well written and played.

• Members

Lots of great submissions...

A couple of stand-outs... rhancox, you had me laughing on a few lines in that song. clever.

tbryson... I really liked the mood of that song. It painted a vivid picture in my mind. It reminded me of a movie that my wife and I just watched Friday evening.

jtarbet2... That rendition was great. Jackson Browne would be proud. You have a great voice. I'd cut back on the reverb, you don't need it. It actually takes away from the vocals.

Michael, as always, well written.

Lots of diversity thus far. There might be a few more people submitting before midnight.

Archived