OT: CMA Awards last night? Love 'em or hate 'em?

gurutoo

• Members

Hey, she was actually on key and didn't sound out of breath. That's a "Win" in my book.LOL

I'll take your word for it, Frank. I didn't even watch it. It's just not the same as it used to be. I'm not even sure I'd care to go to the Grand Ol' Opry anymore these days. Country music has undergone such a huge change over that past 20 years it doesn't even sound "country" anymore. Nowadays it's all "flash, glitz and glitter".

I still love the older stuff, but the new stuff coming out today doesn't do it for me anymore. I think I'm stuck in the 70's/80's.

• Members

Did not watch. Our band was playing out last night. (bluegrass) I got home somewhere about 10pm, after the CMA's.

I am a fan of Brad Paisley, so I'm glad he got recognized. :thu:

As for (most of) the rest, well, I don't dislike them so much as I don't enjoy the music enough to go out of my way to listen to it. If that made any sense. Painkillers... :facepalm:

• Members

Gwyneth Paltrow sounded pretty good.
:)

I didn't see the show but I saw a U2'b video of her performance. Very impressed.

I saw Taylor Swift on Dancing with the Stars last week and she was off-key here and there, as usual.

The impressive part for me is Swift is billed as a singer and can't sing. Paltrow is an actress who decided to give singing a try and she runs circles around Swift.

I would definitely agree that country music is nowhere hear what it used to be. But I still like most of what I hear today. I also take it all with a grain of salt. It's all about making money so I don't delude myself anymore about thinking every artist is in it for the art.

On a side note, and not trying to hijack, but our oldest daughter paid $80 to go see Niki Manaj at some club in Houston last night. It was supposed to be some gala event promoting her latest album. Think it's all about the money? You bet. Niki Manaj didn't come out until well after midnight and was only on for 20 mins. Now maybe our daughter will listen when I tell her that her favorite "stars" don't care about you, only your money.

That's today's commercial music business.

• Members

I'll take your word for it, Frank. I didn't even watch it. It's just not the same as it used to be. I'm not even sure I'd care to go to the Grand Ol' Opry anymore these days. Country music has undergone such a huge change over that past 20 years it doesn't even sound "country" anymore. Nowadays it's all "flash, glitz and glitter".

I still love the older stuff, but the new stuff coming out today doesn't do it for me anymore. I think I'm stuck in the 70's/80's.

^ THIS! There's just something about it that's not "country" anymore. It's all "citified" now and the good ol' boys ain't drivin' pickup trucks with gun racks any more and the women ain't willin' to be waitin' around for their men to come home after a hard days work anymore so, they're head down to the local saloon (or local dance club) to have some "fun" of their own.......

What's the wotld coming to???????

• Members

Dolly Parton could sing her ass off.

Glen Campbell was never considered true country in any traditional sense.

Porter Wagoner-The Mickey Gilley of his day, just tolerated cuz he had been around so long. Never was worth a damn.

Buck Owens was HUGE in 1966

Together again

Act Naturally

Monster country hits and deservedly so Imo.

• Members

Dolly Parton could sing her ass off.

Glen Campbell was never considered true country in any traditional sense.

Porter Wagoner-The Mickey Gilley of his day, just tolerated cuz he had been around so long. Never was worth a damn.

Buck Owens was HUGE in 1966

Together again

Act Naturally

Monster country hits and deservedly so Imo.

not denying most of what you said.

however...

who gets to say what is country and what is not? you?

Glenn Campbell

• for Porter Wagoner who was "Never was worth a damn".

• Members

And Dolly, who "could sing her ass off" wrote
I Will Always Love You
for Porter Wagoner who was "Never was worth a damn".

Whatever Dolly (who could sing and write) wrote for Porter (who could not sing or write) didn't help Porter's sorry voice one bit.

• Members

Wow-not confrontational in your posting style are you?

Whatever Dolly (who could sing and write) wrote for Porter (who could not sing or write) didn't help Porter's sorry voice one bit.

Sorry gurutoo, didn't intend to be confrontational. just wondered what standard you were adhering to when you said "Glen Campbell was never considered true country in any traditional sense." You didn't qualify that as simply your opinion. I was pointing out that CMA (that's where this thread started out, right? CMA) thinks he is/was country. I see now that you meant that YOU never considered him to be true country.

Interesting.

Honestly, I don't really care so much. I've been avoiding a lot of country music for well over 50 years, except for a few I always enjoyed. Charlie Rich and a couple others. He seemed authentic ans sincere to me. But I'm no expert on country music.

EDIT:

BTW, gurutoo, I see you're kind of new around here, so I will say "Welcome" (and if you think I am confrontational, I'm going to caution you about the Electric Guitar board and the Political Party board on this Harmony Central forum). Crazy over there, man. :wave:

• Members

BTW, gurutoo, I see you're kind of new around here, so I will say "Welcome" (and if you think I am confrontational, I'm going to caution you about the electric board and the Political Party board on this Harmony Central forum). Crazy over there, man.
:wave:

Thank you for the welcome and the warning. I'll avoid the political forum like the plague. :wave:

Archived