VOM 35 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 12, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

QQ:
Etienne Rambert- smoking, Marc. Rich, lush & lovely.Duning, The Doors & Duane Eddy, OK. But I'm thinking Steely Dan [just add naughty lyrics.] Spot on as a movie theme, for sure.

DeepEnd:
Etienne Rambert- It has a nice old-school feel, like something from the 50's or 60's. Brings to (my) mind images of an airport, maybe in Europe; the movie itself would involve ordinary people but have some intrigue,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Still haven't made my way through all the submissions yet, but, I'm just as impressed with them as when I got the time to cherry-pick a few on Sunday. Great work everyone!

Also, thanks to everyone who checked out my offering this month and for the kind words. Your views and feedback, positive or critical, is always appreciated :)

FussenKuh-
Seasonal but with an edge. I like it. Don't recall whether this is the first original of yours I've heard.

It very well could be. I've posted a few other originals to the VOM in the past, but, my lack of creativity (both musically and lyrically) typically lead me to post covers for the majority of my VOM entries ;)

• Members

Nicely done and I loved your "audience." Is she yours? Didn't recognize the song. Is that an original? If so it's quite good.

Yep, she's mine..6 months old now :) And it is an original that I co-wrote with a friend. He usually does the lyrics and rough melodies and then we work with it until we like it. Thanks for letting me sneak in at the end!

• Members

Finally getting to listen to all y'all. It's finals week so I've been smothered.

Garthman: Man I gotta get into LC. What a great song--another that I've never heard. Enjoyed the woodiness of your guitar tone and the FS--I always find FS a little tricky on 3/4 and 6/8 songs. Affecting vocal too as always.

tbryson: Dreamy! I have always loved this song. Agree that the drop-D gives it a nice weightiness. Agree with Etienne that you should get some more boost (diaphragm, prolly) into your vocals--this is something I am always working on as well. Failing that, you could just get closer to the mike.

Queequeg: I so love just about everything in the Nutcracker. Such inspired melodies at every turn. Intricate! Love that bass run. Is this your own arrangement? Thanks for stoking the holiday vibe.

Fendouglas: Something very "Johnny Cash" in your vocal...what a great story song. You have a way with a ballad sir!

Stackabones: Especially like the guitar playing in this one. The little bridge near the end--heh. Would like to see you do this one just to see the fingers fly. Had an odd revelation during this one--it was gnawingly familiar--this was the tune Pepsi used decades ago for their "And now it's Pepsi/for those who think young".

Etienne: Lush. Maybe not complete in your mind, but what an atmosphere already! I enjoy the shifts and changes of direction--really like the high-pitched part that kicks in when the guitar fades. Quite a bit going on here--finding different things second time through. But I can't figure out what the Doors song is...?

mo' later...and many thanks to them what commented on mine.

• Members

Michael Martin, I missed yours the first pass. Sorry. I love it. It's dramatic. The finger-picking is contains its own narrative. It reminds me of early S&G picking. But it's more traditional. Love the percussion too. Just outstanding - everything! Superb. Next, why don't you try to put a backing or melody track from that Yamaha synth on it. If that's a DGX, it should have some usable orchestral strings & good pianos. (Check out 60's & 70's string ensembles in the XG set). Nice photo too. Click "Troi Oi!" in my sig to see my little room. Yours is much nicer.

Thanks man! I think I will go back and try your synth suggestion. I've only rarely used the keyboard on recording, since I don't actually play keyboards (as with mando). The Yamaha does indeed have some pretty dece sounds, esp. for being a yard sale find ($25!)

And hey I envy you for having an actual dedicated music room. My photo is actually my dining room table, looking into the living room with the front porch beyond. I love making music in this space but can't leave everything set up. Someday a studio...

• Members

Wow, I've been so busy I completely missed the VOM this month. Needless to say I didn't have anything ready. Need to find some balance at work for sure. Well it's almost Christmas now so I'll just wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.` And here are my comments for this month. It made for a really enjoyable evening just sitting back listening to everyones submissions. Good job all!

Michael Martin - Very cool. All the feel you'd expect from a xmas instrumental! Nicely done. And a very charming photo!

Garthman - Beautifully done!

Tbryson - Nice tune. I like the different tempo's.

Queequeg - Very cool. After i saw the title I was wondering how you were going to pull it off. And you most certainly did!

Rhancox - A great rendition. Very smoothly done! And the vid was very enjoyable.

Fendouglas - Who doesn't like a song about lizards....I think. :)

Stackabones - Makin Whoopee...with attitude. I love it!

Etienne - So polished. You always impress!

g6120 - Loved it! Song, video, guitar and vocals. Just loved it!

Frets99 - That is so cool in so many ways! Loved the vid and uke! And the back up vocalist rocks...where did you find him?

Sangemon - Great arrangement. Really changes the vibe. Gives it a reflective feel! You can almost hear the string section wanting to join in. I really like it!

Hypcollector - Very cool original. That is justy catchy as all get out!

Tsmusic - Nice a very melodic piece.

Terry Allen Hall - Well done. Such a charming video.

Mrmoe - Awesomeness! Is that an original?

Fussenkuh - Oh {censored}! No you didnt'! that was a crackup! Great job!

Fastblueheeler - Ok, that was superb! Why have you been hiding that one? Can't believe I've know you all these years now and I'm just hearing it! Great great song!

Blackhathunter - Nicely done. Haunting vocals with a well played guitar.

Sixgunner455 - Very pretty. A nice rendition.

Daklander - Very moving. Nicely played and sung.

Smebobber8675 - Nice song, Good vocals and a well strummed guitar. BTW an adorable child you have there.

Archived