VOM 35 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 12, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

Greetings. Anudder month and anudder VOM. My submission this month is a song that I wrote a few months back. It is one of those middle of the road pieces, not a slow song and not one of my "fingers a flying" numbers. It has been well received when I perform it live. The song is titled "Nighttime".

Enjoy

Tony

[YOUTUBE]lTv-AHyhwXI[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As previously mentioned, my daughter was messing around with her latest toy, an Pod that makes movies, at a recent nursing home appearence.

As y'all can see, I used my No. 1 Guild, one of my Crate Limo 50s, a Shure SM-58 and (just for my friend TN.Frank) a Hohner Big River harmonica in a modified Hohner harp rack. :)

A waltz within a waltz, "Annabelle Lee" with "Midnight On The Water" inside it.

1s_y0goUQgA

• Members

Wow! I've only had an opportunity to cherry-pick a few songs so far, but, man oh man, the quality of the performances has been superb! It's time for me to lower the bar a little...

Title: Santa's on the Street

Written By: FussenKuh

[YOUTUBE]RzzhXZAptB8[/YOUTUBE]

The chords can't get much easier, the lyrics can't get much cheesier, and the singing probably can't get much worse ;-) None the less, I had a blast with the whole creation process. Hopefully, someone out there will have fun listening to it!

Happy (early) Christmas!!!

------------

Lyrics:

------------

Up in the North Pole,

Santa's got a shop.

Making presents all year long.

Them elves they never stop!

But, this year it'll be different...

They'll be changing up some things.

Thanks to the economy

and the pain that Wall Street brings.

All of Santa's investments,

they all went South.

Now he doesn't have money

to even feed his mouth!

Mrs. Claus is worried,

worried about these things.

She doesn't want to cancel Christmas

and all the joy it brings!

So, Santa's on the street... selling that reindeer meat!

Yeah, Santa's on the street... selling that reindeer meat!

In this economy, you do what you can just to make ends meet.

Billy wants a ball,

Sally wants a doll,

and little baby Edgar...

well, he wants it all!

The elves are working overtime,

but, Santa don't have the cash.

And, if he doesn't pay the bills,

he'll be shut down in a flash!

Now, Rudolph he sells for 99 cents a pound.

And, Blitzen, well, he's the most tender aroooound!

Now Santa can pay the bills.

The elves can make the toys.

Christmas is saved...

for all the girls and boys.

Mrs Claus is happy

'cause Christmas is back again.

But how does Santa make his stops?

Well, that's another story my friend!

• Members

My second VOM so I guess I'm no longer a virgin. Hard for me to believe I wrote this about 10 years ago. The harmonica was recorded on another track and dubbed. Hope that's not breaking any rules. Bad as it is, it was dreadful with the neck rack.

http://www.box.net/shared/ad4m6ufbx7

It never crossed my mind

No one told me

So many years ago, when every thing was slow

That life would change and I

• Members

Just a few listens so far...\

MM...That was a really well done instrumental...you don't give yourself enough credit. Played great!!

Queeqeeg...That was very cool...

rhancox...damn, that was exceptional...great recording and vocals...your good!!

Fendoug...Good original and you did it nice.

g6120...Good song and video!

Fretts99...Loved the sound of your guitar...nicely done as usual!

Fussenkuh...Nice original and bluesy chords!!

Fastblue...Really good song...Playing and singing was great too!!

• Members

Tony Joe White cover: For Ol' Time Sake (VOM1T)

http://mojotwanger.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/tony-joe-white-for-ol-time-sake-acoustic-cover/

Tony Joe White is one of my favorite song writers, and this is my favorite song of his. TJW and JJ Cale have made for plenty of fantastic, low-key afternoons on my back porch w/ an acoustic guitar in my hand

• Members

Busy day today, but here's what I've heard so far....

Michael Martin - Brilliant. Like Christmas from the "old country". I love the photo of your "studio". How could you not be inspired sitting in that room?

Garthman - Beautiful, Howard. You add an amazing quality to every song you sing.

tbryson - Awesome! You did that one some mighty justice. Was that dropped-D tuning? And was the little hesitation before "Can't find my way home" planned or a chord change issue? Either way, it worked.

Queequeg - Great playing. That doesn't look like a very easy song to do, but you did a great job. I actually cheated and saw this a couple of days ago when you posted on U2'b. Another outstanding submission.

Fendouglas - Too funny. Well done, sir.

Stackabones - What a performance! You are so creative. I loved it.

Etienne Rambert - Very mystical. Nice composition and recording.

g6120 - I remember listening to this song a year or two ago. I love it. You did a great job with it, Gil. The video is a nice touch.

Frets99 - I love Keith Urban, but I'd never heard this song before. I loved it. Another "nice touch" video too.

Sangemon - well done, Tom. The recording is excellent as well.

hypcollector - always look forward to hearing your "latest creation". You never disappoint.

TSMusic - Always interesting to hear your new songs. Timing seems to be an issue here and there, but another fine creative effort.

I'll be listening to more this evening. Can't wait.

• Members

Thanks, Michael. I knew you'd like it.

I had planned to do this last month but after putting it together, I just wasn't happy with the vocals so I put it aside and skipped last month's VOM. This past week, I pull it up and gave it a listen and for some reason, it didn't sound the same. I didn't re-record anything, I just did a little editing and flavored to taste. Must have been my mood after spending so much time doing the original recording.

It would be a blast to do this song together. But I don't 'spect it will be anytime soon, if you get my "drift". :lol:

• Members

What great timing on this VOM. I can't put something together for this weekend, but, I am enjoying listening to everyone's submissions.

My wife just asked me if I needed anything. I had the luxury of saying, nope, I'm good. I'm just gonna listen to all the VOM entries and enjoy the entertainment.

• Members

Tony Joe White cover: For Ol' Time Sake (VOM1T)

Tony Joe White is one of my favorite song writers, and this is my favorite song of his. TJW and JJ Cale have made for plenty of fantastic, low-key afternoons on my back porch w/ an acoustic guitar in my hand

• Members

TSMusic
- Always interesting to hear your new songs. Timing seems to be an issue here and there, but another fine creative effort.

Thanks. Notice how I didn't mention this time that it was a once and done take. I was having some serious brain farts and after the 5th time I just said come high water or Hades, I was going to get this done. T'was just one of THOSE days.

Tony

• Members

rhancox said:

tbryson - Awesome! You did that one some mighty justice. Was that dropped-D tuning? And was the little hesitation before "Can't find my way home" planned or a chord change issue? Either way, it worked.

Yes, I dropped the low E down to D to give it that deep sound...I saw SW do that on this video. As far as chord changes its prolly just me...love his doing this at home in front of the fireplace...I don't think I can sing like you will see in this vid...he is pretty good!

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Nothing from me this time. I was noodling around with an instrumental version of "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" but it's nowhere near ready for prime time. Anyway, on to the folks who actually did participate:

Michael Martin- Intriguing as usual. The various parts got a bit muddied at times, not all in sync, but overall well done.

garthman- Nice job.

tbryson- Decent job but your voice is overpowered by the guitar.

Queequeg- Excellent and seasonally appropriate. :thu:

rhancox- Nice job. The 12-string sounds especially good.

Fendouglas- Nice job. Your friend definitely has a way with a song.

Stackabones- Great take on a classic.

Etienne Rambert- It has a nice old-school feel, like something from the 50's or 60's. Brings to (my) mind images of an airport, maybe in Europe; the movie itself would involve ordinary people but have some intrigue,

In honor of the season, my submission this month is an acoustic instrumental recording of
Silent Night.
I like to think that it is reminiscent of the original version.

Beautiful and I'm betting you're not far off the original either. The story is that it was composed to provide Christmas music after a church organ went down. I suspect there may be more legend than truth in that but it's a lovely story as well. Whatever motivated the writing of and musical accompaniment to Silent Night, it's clear the song has taken off and come to symbolize a beautiful serenity that came over the world at His birth.

That was great, Terry. Two terrific tunes and you played and sang them excellently. The Limo is such an excellent gigging amp for what you do as well. I would get another in an instant for solo gigging.

I also want to take a time out to express how marvelous it is that you get gigs at nursing homes. My band goes to them as well. Sometimes paid, most times not. But it's an incredible experience. I have watched as people who rarely show that they are even listening on a daily basis will sing along with us or just mouth the words to the songs they grew up with. It's easy to just focus in on the negatives of their lives so I think, too often, people forget that they are still people and that the biggest negative in their lives is that they are forgotten and while their basic needs may be met, they are to a great degree neglected. A million blessings to you, Terry.

John 1:27 "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." For orphans and widows, you can substitute anyone who lives a neglected or sub standard life and who generally are helpless to change that.

• Members

Michael Martin- Melodically quite interesting and pleasing. Has an ancient feel to it. You got medieval on us, but in a good way, Michael.

garthman- Always enjoy your submissions, garthman. You do Leonard Cohen just right.

tbryson- waht a great tune. You do it very well. Very difficult tune to sing, but you didnt seem to have any trouble with this at all.

rhancox- Behind Blue Eyes is an all time favorite. Thanks for taking up the challenge. Very nicely performed, Rob.

Fendouglas- why isn't this a country classic? It should be. Now that you've recorded it, perhaps it will become one.

Stackabones- wonderful, Stack. I dig the stuttering on t-t-t-twice. Nice t-touch. Bluesier than I've ever heard this old chestnut performed before.

Etienne Rambert- smoking, Marc. Rich, lush & lovely.Duning, The Doors & Duane Eddy, OK. But I'm thinking Steely Dan [just add naughty lyrics.] Spot on as a movie theme, for sure.

Sangemon- well done, man. I always forget who wrote this tune. I should know by know. Nice voice. Sing it out. A little timididy coming through. Give it your heart.

g6120- lovely song, Gil.

Frets99- very cool production on this, Frets. Great job!

hypcollector- [plays very distorted. Hard to hear.]

TSMusic- Night time is the right time. perty cool, Tony.

Terry Allan Hall- Good stuff, Terry. I dig your stage presence and confidence.

mrmoe- great job. haven't seen your stuff for while. Bravo, man.

FussenKuh- YOu got that whole Chrsitmas blues thing going on, man. 'tis the seaon as our economy cripples along through the holidays. giving me them happy feet, fuss.

fastblueheeler- you write songs in that classic folk tradition. This could be a classic. no lie.

BlackHatHunter- Great song. I like TJW but I never did hear this one before. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Very well done.

sixgunner455- Beautiful job on Silent Night. Simple. True. Lovely.

daklander- Welcome back. Glad you're playing music again. Hope you're feeling better. Good heartfelt tune, albeit rather sad. Sounds like maybe you played it in Nashville highstrung tuning.(?)

• Members

Well i enjoyed that TAH on post 48 and what Frets sais also below the post is true

I enjoyed both the Guitar playing and Harmonica playing and the singing also

Ye very gd indeed and the set-up was also as Frets sais Spot-ON

so well done TAH nicely done :thu: also enjoyed some of the others.. Well Done :)

Archived