VOM 35 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 12, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cinnamon Stick

Here's an original Xmas-flavored instrumental. I don't typically do instrumentals because I'm not much of an instrumentalist, and I would much rather hear something like this played by better musicians. But

here you go--a seasonal offering.

http://www.box.net/shared/8sacb0x7ab

This one was one of those random bits floating around for a couple of years, in search of identity as a "song". It always "felt" Christmas-y, but I never figured out any lyrics. The title refers to nothing in particular--the song angel wouldn't tell me what it was about, but she did tell me to call it that.

When Etienne suggested trying to write an instrumental last month, I did produce some stuff, but chose this older piece for VOM because of the season. I attempted a new recording of it, but could not match

the toasty buzzy atmosphere of this version, recorded Xmas day last year.

3 Hummingbird tracks, Harmony A-style mando (my first time daring to use a mando on a recording), tambo. Through the usual devices, some of which are pictured in the photo.

recording.jpg

• Members

Absentee Postings

garthman Comments:

Recorded in one take with Audacity

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
The Window

Credits:
Leonard Cohen

tbryson Comments:

I always loved this song and I found a link with just Winwood playing this at home near the fire....one of my all time favorite musicians. Can't nobody sing like that!! I'm not even close...Guy has a remarkable vocal style but he made the acoustic doable for a single player so I gave it a shot...I dropped D on the low E to get that deep sound and I'm positive thats what he did in that video...if anyone wants the link let me know...it walks the bass line down and up!

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Can't find my way home

Credits:
Steve Winwood/Blind Faith

Queequeg Comments:

My thumb is actually on the bass note but even I have to struggle to hear it here.

Thanks for tolerating.

Absentee Post from:
Queequeg

Title:
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy [The Nutcracker Suite]

Credits:
Piotr Tchaikovsky

rhancox Comments:

A classic song by The Who, from their Who's Next album.

I recorded this with four tracks. The main rhythm is my 12-string, then I used my 6-string for a backing rhythm track for the second part of the song and another track of the 6-string for a couple of little riffs. And of course, a vocal track.

All the guitar work is recorded with two mics on to stereo tracks. A large diaphragm condenser mic is placed level with the soundhole but behind the bridge and a small condenser mic is pointed at the 12th fret. Both mics are about 8'-10' away from the guitar. The vocal track is done with the large condenser mic on to a mono track. Slight reverb was added to all tracks.

Enjoy.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Behind Blue Eyes

Credits:
The Who

Fendouglas Comments:

This a song by a well-known (North East of England) Singer/Songwriter, friend of mine. Ed does write a lot of 'serious' folk music about coal mining etc, but it is his whimsical songs that appeal most to me.

Like a lot of UK musos (myself included), Ed is a frustrated Country singer and it shows in this song, which includes just about every cliche in the genre

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
Ballad of the Crested Newt

Credits:
Ed Pickford

• Members

Rhancox: I had to stay up to hear this. Had no idea what it would be. What a great cover you've done. I love the twelver in there as the main guitar, and really like the solo stuff you do with a six on the bridge. Very spacious recording...I just got new headphones, and your sound is dense and fabulous through them. Admire your vocals too. You did it justice man! Played and sung with the emotional force and depth this song requires. I play this song too...wouldn't it be cool someday to do this together! We could harmonize the vocals maybe. You lead vocal of course.

Didn't mean to skip the other early-birders--will listen tomorry. Er I mean later today. A blizzard raging outside so I may sleep in, but look fwd to giving a listen to all later.

• Members

This was written by my friend from Ottawa Rob Moynes. I was so struck by this song I asked him right away if I could do a cover and he said yes and sent me the chords.

For this video I actually combined my performance video with video Rob had taken while driving his truck for his job then coming home and fixing a drink at the end.

So you get a slice of the songwriter's life with the video.

[video=youtube;rX9tVOUFW_c]

If you prefer streaming audio instead (better quality) or you like the song and want a Free MP3 of it go here:

http://gilsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/buckets-of-tears-cover-of-rob-moynes-song

• Members

Michael Martin, I missed yours the first pass. Sorry.

I love it. It's dramatic. The finger-picking is contains its own narrative.

It reminds me of early S&G picking. But it's more traditional. Love the percussion too.

Just outstanding - everything! Superb.

Next, why don't you try to put a backing or melody track from that Yamaha synth on it.

If that's a DGX, it should have some usable orchestral strings & good pianos.

(Check out 60's & 70's string ensembles in the XG set).

Nice photo too. Click "Troi Oi!" in my sig to see my little room. Yours is much nicer.

• Members

opps I for got the quote

Micheal

Absolutely briliant. I loved the mandolin. I'm hoping for a banjo from santa this year but don't think it will happen. Santa's wife don't like banjos it seems.

No that is a lovely song you got there.

Phil

• Members

Queequeg

How did you do that? Classically of psudo classically? I sometimes play songs like that ( mainly the theme to Tales from the River bank) but I put together using chords. Anyway I feel inspired to do some psudo ( spelling might be a bit off) classical. So I'm off to the dojo.

Did I say I enjoyed the song?

Well yes I did

Phil

Cinnamon Stick

Here's an original Xmas-flavored instrumental. I don't typically do instrumentals because I'm not much of an instrumentalist, and I would much rather hear something like this played by better musicians. But

here you go--a seasonal offering.

http://www.box.net/shared/8sacb0x7ab

This one was one of those random bits floating around for a couple of years, in search of identity as a "song". It always "felt" Christmas-y, but I never figured out any lyrics. The title refers to nothing in particular--the song angel wouldn't tell me what it was about, but she did tell me to call it that.

When Etienne suggested trying to write an instrumental last month, I did produce some stuff, but chose this older piece for VOM because of the season. I attempted a new recording of it, but could not match

the toasty buzzy atmosphere of this version, recorded Xmas day last year.

3 Hummingbird tracks, Harmony A-style mando (my first time daring to use a mando on a recording), tambo. Through the usual devices, some of which are pictured in the photo.

recording.jpg

Brilliant and whistful!

Garthman - Gorgeous and serene. Loved it!

TBryson - a very regal interpretation of a classic old favorite. Very nicely done!

Queequeg - Man, that was great!!

Rhancox - Wow! I like yours even better than the original, and I love the original!!

Fendouglas - That was great. Very cool tune!

• Members

This is a test I did about 10 days ago of my new Zoom H4n. It's Steve Goodman's "City If New Orleans", but it's only partial, just the first two verses. I recorded the guitar first, in just one take, and then overdubbed the vocal. I forgot some of the lyrics in the second verse, but didn't do another take. This was done with the 000-15S, mic'ed with the built-in X-Y pair at the 12th fret.

I imported the tracks into Logic and mixed them. For some reason I did this with a capo on the 4th fret and I don't know why, I think I was just too lazy to take it off, but I like the way the vocal sounds as a result.

Enjoy...http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9923093

• Members

g'morning. don't got plans of making it in nashville.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=9907728

i won't mind if you see right through me

i'm confined to a life of transparency

open the blinds in your mind and hear me

you can look right through me

you can look right through me

gather 'round the table if your able

among the sounds of people that are grateful

at sundown, "gotta go see ya later."

i remember not everyone was able

i remember not everyone was able

now understand, this band don't play for cash