Guitar advice for a 10 year old girl

slodge

• Members

Just taught my daughter "Wild Thing" followed by "Teardrops on My Guitar," an experience that is just all kinds of awesome.

She's alternating between a kids guitar, which is light and small enough for her, but is a piece of crap, and my Ovation Celebrity, which has a nice narrow fretboard that she can get her hands around, but is still too big and klunky for her.

Assuming she keeps up with it, should I invest in a decent 3/4 size, what would one of those be, and what would it cost?

Or should I look into eventually finding a full sized but smaller bodied guitar that she won't outgrow as quickly.

Money is a big issue here.

Any ideas?

• Members

I've had a couple 8-year-olds try to play my guitars, and their biggest issue was fretting pressure. I'd consider a smaller nylon-string guitar. I think Yamaha makes a few that are inexpensive.

(FWIW, my 7-year-old girl refuses to play anything but percussion on my guitars.)

• Members

Is your average size ? IF So you could probably go full sized small body.

We just went small bodied full sized for my Daughter Kristy, a 000 Kristy is of average size for the age, a slightly smaller guitar could be a slightly better fit But she would outgrow it rather quickly it is that close like she was on the line.

She is doing better each day with the Full sized 000 she seems comfy with it and handles it well. I am very glad we chose the full sized route for her, think it was the way to go. Kristy is having no real problems with the steel string (Ok sore fingers as I explain we all go through at first) But I can see a nylon stringed guitar could make it easier, an be a good choice as well! If she is not too petite do not be afraid of a full sized guitar

• Members

I tried teaching my daughter the guitar when she was nine, but her hands were still way too small to form chords (even on the 1/2-sized guitar I picked up especially for her). I made a work-around of it by tuning the guitar to open D and teaching her some songs (like Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, Norwegian Wood, etc.--she LOVES the Beatles) that way. She took to it amazingly well. Still waiting for those hands to get bigger...

• Members

In the little bit of teaching / help I've given kids over the years, I find that they and their parents are appreciative when I tell them to start of with a good quality guitar that a kid doesn't have to 'wrestle ' with to play! If they do grow out of a particular guitar in a few years, at least they won't have gotten discouraged playing something that is too big for them when they are just trying to learn. As a matter of fact I was in a Store 2 weeks ago and gave that same advice to a Mom and her 13 year old daughter that were shopping for an acoustic. The girl wanted a Epi Hummingbird Dreadnought and I could see it was too big for her to play comfortably. Her Mom asked me ( I don't know why? I don't work there) and I handed her a smaller body Epi Concert size (an EF500) to try for size and she was instantly more comfortable. They had no idea the sizes meant anything at all but looks.

But, I would thing a 10 year old would get a lot of years out of a concert size before they want to try or get something else.

• Members

Assuming she keeps up with it, should I invest in a decent 3/4 size, what would one of those be, and what would it cost?

Or should I look into eventually finding a full sized but smaller bodied guitar that she won't outgrow as quickly.

Money is a big issue here.

Any ideas?

Either of these option is OK. A standard 3/4 classical guitar will have a 45mm width neck which is fine for an adult as well as a child. A small bodied full size guitar will probably have a 45mm neck too - the actual size of the bodies will be similar.

If cost is a consideration you might want to go for the 3/4 classical (perhaps a Yamaha? - or similar) which you would probably get for less than a full size instrument.

As a general principle I think that 3/4 classical guitars are a very good option for any guitarist: easy to hold and play, sound good, reasonably priced, double as a travel guitar. . . . Great guitars.

• Members

Thanks for the great thoughts. At the moment I'm leaning towards a smaller bodied parlor or concert sized.

My initial thought was a 3/4 classical, but she seems to be holding her own with the steel strings. I'd rather her develop the muscles and calluses early on, rather than having a transition from nylon to steel become a stumbling block later on.

• Members

My ten year old wanted a dread. Nothing else would do. He is now eleven, and plays it, but anyone can see that it is too big. He plays it anyway. I wish he'd let me get him something more his size, but I'm not saying anything about it to him. He plays it. That's what really counts. He plays with his friends, and likes that his guitar is the loudest in the room. :D

• Members

I would like to suggest the Art and Lutherie AMI (parlor size), set up with a set of silk and steel strings. Small guitar, soft tensions strings, good price, and a nice sound.

Art and Lutherie AMI ? might be the way to go.

• Members

Just shipped the 10 year old off to school schlepping my Ovation Celebrity. (still a bit too big, but a comfortably small neck and the rounded back makes things easier.)

Last day before spring break and she asked her teacher if she could perform Taylor Swift's "Our Song" for the class.

• Members

Just shipped the 10 year old off to school schlepping my Ovation Celebrity. (still a bit too big, but a comfortably small neck and the rounded back makes things easier.)

Last day before spring break and she asked her teacher if she could perform Taylor Swift's "Our Song" for the class.

That is so cool! If she tells you much about it, how it went, how she felt and all. post back, Would love to hear the details!

Archived