Considering a few gits...

masterbuilt

• Members

I am looking at Martin OM1-GT, 00015, Taylor GA3 or GA4, and GAD30 series.

I really prefer auditorium-bodies to the dreads. I also like Concert-bodies, but there is comsiderably less volume on most models. Still, the Taylor GC3 is compelling.

Any thoughts?

• Members

The similarities: All of these guitars come with hardshell cases. They have solid wood bodies. They are similar in size.

The Martin OM1-GT is a nice guitar. Personally, I can not get over the stratabond neck. I think Martin should have used a traditional wood neck and upped the price a hundred dollars. Why put a modern, laminate neck on a traditionally designed guitar? It's like put solar panels on the roof of a 125 year old Victorian styled home. I believe Martin made a mistake in the pursuit of keeping the retail price under $900.00. I notice that you can get them for $699.00 now. I credit the reduction in price to their poor business decision. It's an awesome deal if you like the neck.

I'm not a fan of the Taylor Grand Concerts. They are nice, but their Grand Auditoriums sound so much better when you play them back to back. The GA3 and GA4 are very nice. The visual quality of their spruce tops can vary a bit. I doubt I would buy one on line. It seems that Taylor saves the best looking spruce for their 300 and above models. I may be wrong. Other than that, they are very high quality guitars that sound great. This guitar is the biggest of the 4 you listed. It should be the loudest of the 4. I love the DN3 and DN4 (I noticed the same issue with the spruce tops). The DN3 is on my GAS list, but it would be a hard decision picking between the D3 and D4 when it came time to pull the trigger.

The Martin 000-15 is a fan favorite here. I would spend a little more money and get the 000-15M: The solid mahogany, real rosette (rather than a sticker), bone nut, bone saddle, ebony pins and open back tuners are well worth the small increase in price in my opinion. It's on my GAS list.

I recently purchased a Guild GAD30E (Fishman matrix pickup). I bought it as new, old stock 4 weeks ago. I wasn't looking for a pick up system, but the price was right and I liked everything else about the guitar; tone, volume, fit, finish and appearance. It's a very high quality, Chinese built guitar. It looks, feels and sounds like a guitar that cost much more. You should be able to get one in the same price range as the Martin OM1-GT. The difference is the Guild comes with curly maple binding, jumbo frets (some of the best fret work I found on a Chinese produced guitar), solid mahogany sides and back(no sapelle), bone nut, bone saddle, ebony bridge pins and Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite tuners. In other words, you will get more bling and some nice upgrades with the Guild and still have some change in your pocket. I am very happy with mine.

I would pick the 000-15M if you still own the Parkwood OM in your avatar. I think your Parkwood would be very close to the Martin OM and Guild GAD 30 in tone. I still plan to buy an 000-15M because it offers a different tone than my GAD 30. It would be a great change of pace guitar (if that makes sense). I would go with the GA3 or GA4 if you want something a little closer to a dread in volume and bass response.

Good luck!

• Members

i convinced myself a while ago that i had too many dreads and started looking elsewhere -but what i found in trying different brands and wood types is that Dreads can very greatly from brand to brand -and I was mistaken in my stereotype . OM's are typically though of as being fingerpickers and dreads as flatpickers -not sure why -but I love the narrower fingerboards of most dreads -find them quicker and easier to manuver around -but i have skinny long fingers . Im not of course going to get rid of my OMs and other sizes, becasue Ive gotten use to many diferent types of guitars and use them for creating many different styles of music. i also think its a good idea to be comfortable with just about any fingerboard width.

• Members

Personally, I can not get over the stratabond neck...

...The GA3 and GA4 are very nice ...I love the DN3 and DN4 (I noticed the same issue with the spruce tops). The DN3 is on my GAS list...

The Martin 000-15 is a fan favorite here. I would spend a little more money and get the 000-15M: The solid mahogany, real rosette (rather than a sticker), bone nut, bone saddle, ebony pins and open back tuners are well worth the small increase in price in my opinion. It's on my GAS list.

I recently purchased a Guild GAD30E... ...It looks, feels and sounds like a guitar that cost much more. You should be able to get one in the same price range as the Martin OM1-GT. The difference is the Guild comes with curly maple binding, jumbo frets (some of the best fret work I found on a Chinese produced guitar), solid mahogany sides and back(no sapelle), bone nut, bone saddle, ebony bridge pins and Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite tuners...

I would pick the 000-15M if you still own the Parkwood OM in your avatar. I think your Parkwood would be very close to the Martin OM and Guild GAD 30 in tone. I still plan to buy an 000-15M because it offers a different tone than my GAD 30. It would be a great change of pace guitar (if that makes sense). I would go with the GA3 or GA4 if you want something a little closer to a dread in volume and bass response.

Good luck!

Great input. Yes, I still have the Parkwood. I am leaning toward the GA3, but, the 00015 is compelling and the Guild is a great value. I plan to play them all at the local big-box before I make a decision.

• Members

Yep, the 00-15 is another option. It is a nice size, but, the 00015 is balanced more across all strings.

Elderly has this very cool little 12-fret custom model of both the 00 and 000:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/0015SCUST.htm

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/00015SCUST.htm

I cannot hear with your ear, etc., but to my taste the Martin 15 series is a great big bucket of gorgeous tone and lovely smells. I like the "M" version. Nothing wrong with Sapele, but I love the look/smell/tone of hog.

• Members

Elderly has this very cool little 12-fret custom model of both the 00 and 000:

Those were my dream specs. A 12-fret 00-15 should be more comfortable and have a bit more bass response than a 14-fretter 00. It was a big disappointment. They screwed up on the bracing IMO. Braced it 17-style (hybrid scalloped) rather than the usual 15-style.

Not a bad little blues box, but it sounded exactly like my inexpensive vintage mahogany parlor. Small, boxy, bright, and punchy. Nothing like the standard 00-15.

• Members

Those were my dream specs. A 12-fret 00-15 should be more comfortable and have a bit more bass response than a 14-fretter 00. It was a big disappointment. They screwed up on the bracing IMO. Braced it 17-style (hybrid scalloped) rather than the usual 15-style.

Not a bad little blues box, but it sounded exactly like my inexpensive vintage mahogany parlor. Small, boxy, bright, and punchy. Nothing like the standard 00-15.

Well, that sucks. Didn't realize you'd tried one out - or did you actually own one for a bit? I wonder if the 12-fret 000 would be a disappointment as well. Beautiful guitars.

Edit: As for "usual 15-style" bracing, there really is something to that stuff. I don't know WTF it is, but it's great. I had one of the old D-1 dreads (before they revamped the series) with the 15-style bracing, and holy crap did that git sound great. I sold it in a fit of stupidity.

• Members
  • Members

Yeah, I owned the custom 12-fret 00 during the 48-hour eval period and then returned it. Fully expected to sell off all my other gits and bond with that 12-fretter. It hurt. I changed strings. It hurt some more. :(

IMO, the magic of the 15-series is in the single tonebar. Perfect for a hog-top. Frees up the lower bout and gives it surprising bass and warmth for a hardwood.

I'm sure the custom 000 is nice. It should sound just like the old 000-15S, which is a wonderful git.

• Members

A used Guild F40 seems like it would fill your needs but I don't know what they run used. They're in $2K territory new.

I would concur with this. Or, alternatively, a used F30. Both are stellar.

My $.02 would be:

1. I think you get the best bang for the buck with the GAD30. It's modeled after the F30 Aragon. It has a 3/4" nut and sounds nearly as good as the American F30.

2. I wouldn't get the Martin OM-1GT. I think there are better guitars out there for the same money, the GAD-30 being foremost. And, I agree with Hud about the Stratabond neck. Not only ugly, but they make the guitar neck heavy, at least the one's I've tried.

3. I like the Martin 000-15M too, but if I were going the 100% Martin Style 15 all hog route, I would look for a used 000-15s, the 12 fret slot head version. Awesome guitar.

4. The Eastman's are very nice (I have one of their mandolins) but are overpriced IMO compared to similarly appointed MIC guitars.

5. I would also check out the Breedlove's. I have a four year old Atlas model which I love. They are a bit different stylistically from the above models, being less traditional in terms of looks and bracing (Breedlove uses the JLD Truss System). But they sound great.

6. Too many choices can get disorganized, but you might consider looking into some of the Blueridge models (which have improved significantly IMO), or Recording King.

7. I also concur with Hud about the Taylor's. I am not a Taylor fan at all, but at least the GC3 and GC4 I had a chance to try were nice and all, and had the usual great Taylor neck, but they simply lacked balls or personality of any sort and seemed a bit compressed. The Taylor Grand Auditoriums are a different beast altogether. One of the few Taylor models I actually considered buying before I found my J-45 and blew out my annual guitar budget. Loud, articulate and the only Taylor I ever played that had a good bass tone as well.

Long winded, but those would by my comments.

• Members

I would concur with this. Or, alternatively, a used F30. Both are stellar.

...I think you get the best bang for the buck with the GAD30. It's modeled after the F30 Aragon. It has a 3/4" nut and sounds nearly as good as the American F30 ...I wouldn't get the Martin OM-1GT... Not only ugly, but they make the guitar neck heavy... ...The Taylor Grand Auditoriums are a different beast altogether ...Loud, articulate and the only Taylor I ever played that had a good bass tone as well.

Thanks for your input. I didn't think that the Taylor GC series and GA series were in the same league. I like the tone of the GA series much better. I am leaning toward the GAD30 or maybe the 20 hog with the pickup. I want to try the hog. The small body according to some reviews is not very loud and tinny, but in other reviews, people rave about it. Most likely the 30 will win hands-down.

• Members

Thanks for your input. I didn't think that the Taylor GC series and GA series were in the same league. I like the tone of the GA series much better. I am leaning toward the GAD30 or maybe the 20 hog with the pickup. I want to try the hog. The small body according to some reviews is not very loud and tinny, but in other reviews, people rave about it. Most likely the 30 will win hands-down.

I think I've tried about 10 different GAD-30's, and all of them sounded great and looked great. Excellent build quality. I love the finish on Hud's model. Fender is doing a great job with Guild these days. The American built Guilds are just outstanding now, and the GAD line keeps getting better.

• Members

I am also going to look at the Martin "Custom D Classic" (based on the D1). It is $999 through MF. I want to see if there is one available locally.

I had one of the old D-1s. Don't know why I sold that one. It was almost identical to the "Custom D Classic," except I think mine had a plain black backstrip and ts binding front and back. It was a loud, bright, crystal clear guitar with really nice bass and sustain. The sides were laminate, I think, and the top and back were solid. I think the brightness factor may ultimately have been a bit much for me, but this was just a matter of personal idiosyncrasy - it definitely was not the kind of bright that anyone would describe as harsh or tinny. I just like my dreads to be a little bit broodier.

If you are going to start considering Martin hog dreads, I would urge you to take a look at a D-15M or 000-15M. My D-15M is everything the D-1 was (excellent volume, clarity, bass that kicks you right in the gut), but with better harmonics and generally a more interesting tonal color. The thing just has tons of tonal character.

• Members

I am getting my Guild GAD 30R back from my luthier tomorrow. I can't wait, and I'd have to concur with Hudman, though mine is solid rosewood back and sides. The fretwork is really good, and it is a beautiful guitar with lovely tone.

Archived