How to tame the treble of an acoustic guitar??

Misha

• Members

Simplest way to tame trebles and add warmth/bass. Medium gauge nickel strings and a thick pick. And as an added benefit, you'll get better playability and unusually long string life. If doing this worked for a Collings, going this route may very well be the solution to your problem. It's not something many people would immediately think of doing, but believe me, once you get used to the fact that nickel strings need about a week to stretch and settle down, the tone is where it's at, brother. I prefer
John Pearse Pure Nickel. A really great string. Add in a thicker kind of pick, and work on your right hand technique, and you might be amazed at what your guitar can sound like.

... JT

I'll second this very good advice (among all the other good advice being offered.) Those John Pearse are very nice sounding strings.

• Members

Put 13's on it and tune it down 1/2 or 1 step.

This.

I like 13's - on my larger guitars, at least. And I almost always tune down 1/2 step. Makes playing more comfortable, and definitely makes singing a lot more comfortable for my old, decrepit voice. And if your friend needs to jam or for any other reason be in standard, he can just slap on a capo at the first fret.

Edit: OR... just shove a larger, bassier guitar through the sound hole of the treble-heavy guitar. This is what I usually do, but only if I happen to have a spare larger, bassier guitar handy. :idea:

Archived