show me your yamaha guitar

kydog

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just added a couple more photos of my Yammies to post number 12 above. You can now compare the back and sides of the FG200 and FG-750S as well. Interesting to note that both these guitars are stated on the Yamaha site to be Mahogany back and sides but they don't even look like cousins side by side.

• Members

not mine yet but on line here now and a model I`ve never seen before. Archives say all solid wood. I`ll see how it plays out but I`ve got my poker in another fire at the moment.

Wow, that's nice. Doesn't show up on their history page but definitely there in the model lookup. I'm envious.

• Members

I thought I had already posted these. Oh, well, FK and FG-150, circa 1969

Yamaha1970.jpg

and 2006 or so

IMG_0489.jpg

Laminated tops age well. My head didn't. However I did purchase a pair of wire cutters somewhere between '69 and '06. I did post a clip of it an the Nov VOM

I used to make the loops with the excess string on my gits when I was younger. I had forgotten about that until seeing that picture. Way cool.

• Members

Yes, that is where I found it also. Yamaha also has a history page showing a flow-chart history of the FG, FS, F, FGX, FX, L, LL, LS, LA, LD, LW and LLX guitars from 1969 to 2002 and it misses the FG-850 completely.

Under "High-end Models" it shows FG-580/630, FG-700S/1000J, FG-1200J/1500 and FG-2000/2500 but no FG-850. It shows this high-end series starting in 1971 and running until they spawned the L series in 1978.

• Members

OK...looking through my Japan Vintage acoustic volume 1?I see the FG-850 is listed as being introduced in June 1975, the only thing they say about it is that it`s all solid wood and retailed for 85,ooo yen...it`s on page 79.

• Members

OK...looking through my Japan Vintage acoustic volume 1?I see the FG-850 is listed as being introduced in June 1975, the only thing they say about it is that it`s all solid wood and retailed for 85,ooo yen...it`s on page 79.

Is that the exact name of the book? I would like to have a better reference than just the Yamaha site. Some missing info there. What does the book show for the early (1979) model of the FG-750S? Everything I have seen says mahogany b&s but mine looks way different than the other mahogany b&s guitar I have (FG200).

• Members

yes thats the name of the book, there are 3 in the acoustic series and 8 in the electric.

If I remember there were 2 bamboo models...one with electronics one without.

I like the Dynamics so much I have 29 of them now...but I bet all together, I`ve paid less than some members here have paid for one or two of their high ends. I have 14 of their early classicals too, the No.s 45 and 85 are probably my favorites, closer to Dynamics than classicals...but the No.s 100 , 120 and 150 classicals I have are very nice but don`t have the same deep voice as the Dynamics.

Archived