its bad when your girlfriend agrees that you need a new guitar

plurabelle

• Members

my girl and i were out and about yesterday. we had a couple extra minutes, and she knew i had been wanting to go look at some bass amps. we went to guitar center, and i of course went in the acoustic room. i still havent bought a new acoustic guitar yet. that taylor 615ce some of you may remember me gushing about, is still for sale, and still at a good "buddy deal" price. well, i picked up a martin (gasp) that i actually like, and strummed a couple chords for her. her reaction surpised the heck out of me. her words, exactly, "that sounds so much better than that guitar you have at home".

my poor old yamaha has been good to me, but its time to retire her from duty, and possibly even put her in mothballs. when my girlfriend openly admits that every guitar i showed her (two martins, a taylor, and an awesome ibanez) are all better looking and sounding than my guitar at home, i need to jump at this opportunity.

now im going to have to decide if i want that taylor 615ce or if i should keep looking around...

• Members

Of course she prefers the Martin. No gf wants her bf spending time with someone named Taylor.

lol! i like taylors quite a bit. this martin i speak of, is a 000cxeBLACK. they have a solid spruce top/natural one too that i also like. these are the very first two martins ive ever liked at all. ive played a lot of martins, but they always sound lifeless to me. can you recommend anything else for me to look at? i like bright, chimey, full range tone. i want to get a big name guitar, but it doesnt have to be a taylor or martin. larivee, eastman, alvarez, etc are all acceptable.

no dreads. im shooting for 000/om, or grand concert/auditorium.

• Members

I'd just try everything at GC that you can get your hands on. Play gits that don't fit your criteria.

And take your gf with you. I recently did the same, and mine liked the sound of a Martin D15M more than anything else I played. I'd thought I'd wanted another small-body git, but her reaction was very much in favor of that Martin (she's a musician too).

• Members

lol! i like taylors quite a bit. this martin i speak of, is a 000cxeBLACK. they have a solid spruce top/natural one too that i also like. these are the very first two martins ive ever liked at all. ive played a lot of martins, but they always sound lifeless to me. can you recommend anything else for me to look at?
i like bright, chimey, full range tone
. i want to get a big name guitar, but it doesnt have to be a taylor or martin. larivee, eastman, alvarez, etc are all acceptable.

no dreads. im shooting for 000/om, or grand concert/auditorium.

If you see any Stonebridge or Furch (same company just a diferent name) guitars give them a try. I have a Stonebridge Gs23 with cedar top, rosewood body. The tone has a lot of harmonics which render it "chimey" (debatable description though). Bass volume/tone is somewhere in between Martin and Taylors. They tend to have 1 3/4 nuts.

• Members

A 'girlfriend' would have no say in the way I spend my money nor would I need her OK.

A 'wife' on the other hand is a diff. matter.

I've been married now for 25 years. My wife has bought me my last 3 guitars. 000-28EC, ES-339, CS EC Strat.

If you play it right you get done up right.:thu:

• Members

She's softening you up for something. It's just a ploy so that you won't complain when she next spends $1000 on clothes.
:D

^ this. Unless she gets something in return then there's a high potential that she may one day become jealous of the attention the guitar is getting. ;)

• Members

A 'girlfriend' would have no say in the way I spend my money nor would I need her OK.

A 'wife' on the other hand is a diff. matter.

I've been married now for 25 years. My wife has bought me my last 3 guitars. 000-28EC, ES-339, CS EC Strat.

If you play it right you get done up right.
:thu:

i had a wife once. i never got even pick out what clothes i wore everyday without some sort of struggle. anytime i needed or wanted a new piece of gear, we had to go to talk to our marriage counselor.

things are starting to look up though! ha

Archived