Best Battery Amp for unfer $100.00

Chordchunker

• Members

Lokking at amps on ebay and there are quite a few battery amplifiers for under one hundred dollars. I found these and am leaning toward the Peavey Solo, or Hog 20..I have used both of those and know they work well for getting the guitar up there just a little for busking or party`s.

The Old tried and true Pignose

Hog 20 is around &100.

Peavey Solo,

Vox AC-1, Roland Micro-Cube,

Traynor TVM10

• Members

I have a Hog 20, great amp! Batteries are expensive and like car batteries, if you let them fully discharge or over charge them, they're toast.

Get one of these http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-jr-12v-0_75a-battery-charger.html?utm_campaign=ComparisonShopping&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=CPC&gclid=CKi9opOUnaoCFY0H2godflZ-zA and they'll last a long time.

• Members

For an electric rig, the original Pignose gets my vote. The Hog 20 sounds OK, but the battery doesn't hold a charge long enough (maybe 3 hours, at most) for a lot of busking situations.

The Roland 5-watter is equally problematic.

For a mini-PA, a used Crate Limo might be found around $100, if you look long enough, and is the best choice, both sonically and in terms of dependability (battery goes about 6 hours at gigable volume). Both of mine cost a bit more, used ($145 for the older one and $175 for the newer one) and have both paid for themselves many times over...and, for duo gigs/busking, the Limo makes a decent bass amp, too.

Recently bought one of these, and after a little modification, it'll run both Limos for hours, so long as there's some sunlight, even on cloudy days.

http://www.solarwholesales.org/product.sc;jsessionid=0AB450E57BB5A1ECF6A4CEC5B55AE4B5.qscstrfrnt04?productId=25&categoryId=7

• Members

Yeah the crate limo is my first choice so I may hold out. They are a little big in a way..Thanks! How is the Crate Taxi btw?

The discontinued 30watt version is pretty nice, the current 15watt version is underpowered if you want a really clean sound...both the 30 and the 50 turn up on Craigslist, etc., so I'd wait 'til you can get one of those...I've often seen the 30 going for around $75.

BTW, Radio Shack sells a replacement 12v battery for about $15, and they last about 5 years.

• Members

I'd go with the Peavey Solo. They sell for less than $100 new. It's 10 watts and I think they have an 8" speaker with two channel inputs. One channel is XLR compatable for a mic. I picked a used one up for $30 and it worked great. I had to sell it but I'd love to get another one.

• Members

I liked the Peavey solo I had too, but the sound wasn`t really all that great imo. It worked fine to bring the guitar up a little over talking level and I used that thing for years. My brother has it and has also given it a beating for years. Peavey gear is tuff as can be.

• Members

Hey Queequeg! You have the Duracell, right? Is it 220 or 110 volt to charge? It could solve some issues I have here doing beach gigs in Thailand..... also, techno geeks: what would happen if you plug a 50 hz amp into a 60 hz outlet (I have a Fender Mustang I would love to use with that, if it doesn't fry it).

Back to the issue at hand: The Vox Mini 3 strikes me as very nice for under $100. Easier to use than a DA-5 (I have one) and like the mic input with reverb. I also have Cube RX and micro cube. My partner in crime has a street cube and those too are nice. But in the price range for an amp, I would have to get the Vox Mini 3. Lot's of bang per buck.

• Members

Hey Queequeg! You have the Duracell, right? Is it 220 or 110 volt to charge? It could solve some issues I have here doing beach gigs in Thailand..... also, techno geeks: what would happen if you plug a 50 hz amp into a 60 hz outlet (I have a Fender Mustang I would love to use with that, if it doesn't fry it).

Mine is 110v, living in the US, that's what they sell here. Don't know if they make a 220v version for overseas sales.

• Members

My gray cells weren't completely warmed up when I wrote that..... I forgot (duh) besides being 50 hz, it's 220 volts anyway. Almost enough, however, to make me think of perhaps getting that power source and picking up another Mustang in the USA (at 60% less cost than here) and using that rig for the gigs on the beach. I have a home 220-100 volt transformer for charging that battery..... I love to toy with the possibilities.....

• Members

I was lucky and snagged a Crate Taxi off CL for $75. I had considered the Limo, but that's starting to get too big for what I'm doing. The Taxi is enough to get you noticed, but not enough to control a noisy crowd. It came in a nice, padded shoulder bag. By the time I add an instrument and another pack for various and sundry items, things are starting to get pretty heavy. But TAH has way more experience with portable rigs, so I defer to him.

It's more like a small, 2-channel battery-powered PA than an amp IMHO. Well designed cabinet with an 8" driver, a port and a tweeter. 15 watts RMS with a nice, full range tone. I like it.

• Members

Sounds like you scored Verne! I had a battery amp that looked like a gas can once upon a time. Loved that thing but they don`t make them anymore. I also had a Maxi-Mouse but wore it out. I may hold out for a Crate Taxi as I`m really in no rush. Busking with amplification is illegal here and pretty heavily enforced.

Archived