What's your opinion on this Martin?

imtheking

• Members

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-x-series-000x1ae-acoustic-electric-guitar/430665000010000

I played it today at Guitar Center and it surprisingly blew me away. Now it was nothing compared to, say, the Eric Clapton model, but it played very well. BUT I don't want to go sell stuff and buy a guitar that might not transfer when its officially in my hands (I've had problems like that before) so I wanted to know if any of you have owned/frequently played one of these. If so, what was your experience like?

• Members

I played it today at Guitar Center and it surprisingly blew me away. Now it was nothing compared to, say, the Eric Clapton model, but it played very well. BUT I don't want to go sell stuff and buy a guitar that might not transfer when its officially in my hands (I've had problems like that before) so I wanted to know if any of you have owned/frequently played one of these. If so, what was your experience like?

One of my guitars is an American-made DX1 and it sounds great and plays beautifully.

• Members

I like Martins, I really do.

I own three of them.

Not, that the X-Series is a bad guitar - it deffo is NOT - but it is the equvalent of a Double Cheeseburger ina Steakhouse.

Good deal, value for money and all that, but in the "general perception" it's a guitar made out of kitchentop and a neck made out of materials formerly unbeknownst by man.

But still ... sound good, plays nicely, will probably be very durable .... but if you ask me, I'd rather have a D28. Or even D18 or even D16. I know, they are at least twice the price ...

• Members

For the money, I like these. I own a DX1RGT myself. It, however, does not sound as nice as my D16RGT (which in turn doesn't sound as nice as the D28P that I'm gassing over).

I think it's a great guitar if your budget doesn't allow for more expensive models, OR if you're looking for a solid, DURABLE, more than decent sounding gigging/travel/knockaround guitar.

• Members

Thanks a lot for your guys input. I think I might sell my Takamine (it was the exact price as this Martin) and get this. The guitar I have now is really good when it comes to playing rhythm, but it lacks when it comes to finger picking, which I have gotten into, and gotten good at, recently

• Members

Just my $0.02 but I'm not really impressed with very many Martins below the 16 series and not many of those. I've played the straight acoustic version of that Martin and I liked it (as much as I can like any guitar that's not a dread) but personally I'd keep the Takamine, save up some more money, and keep looking. BTW, don't overlook used.

• Members

Every once in a while you can get a fantastic sounding lower end guitar. The planets just line up perfectly when it was assembled and using the materials at hand. The difference is that this happens more by accident when there's not a lot of attention to detail in building.

When you find a guitar like that it's great because it doesn't cost a lot and you can play out with it knowing that if it gets dinged you aren't out hundreds of dollars in depreciation....and you have that same "D45 sound"

• Members

I kinda like the X series Martins. It allows the double cheeseburger eater to enjoy the same atmosphere as the guy eating the filet mignon. Sorry, katopp.
:lol:

Didn't say that the X-Series is bad. It's just that it all is about a bit ... austere.

The Stratabond neck should be much more rigid and durable than the usual hog or spanish cedar. The Richlite fingerboard is probably comparable to good wood and more consistent - just like TuSQ is more consistent than bone. The kitchenboard HPL saves valuable natural resources and is more robust than solid or even laminated wood. The A-Frame construction does away with the neck reset for much longer than the dovetail.

All in all, the X-series is not bad inthe same way than a double cheeseburger and fries is a inexpensive - but austere -meal. A nice steak will fill you as good as a double cheeseburger, but will cost significantly more.

But, if you have the choice between a steak and a cheeseburger...?

• Members

I've been surprised by several X series gits just sounding seriously kickass. I think these guitars are a lot of fun, and a good choice if you find one that sounds good to you and you want something to play out - because they are built pretty tough. :thu:

• Members

It all depends on YOU imo..If you like it over your Tak then get one.. I`ve played a few and as TAH said they vary so much I would want to play it first..

snob2.jpg

Ooo, snob because we don't care for formica? Ok, valid rabble complaint. In response, I say, eat cake. *sniff*

• Members

Am I the only one who has never been blown away by an acoustic guitar? I read this a fair amount, though, and I can't help but wonder if I'm being too picky or too honest. I've yet to get that sudden dampening in my shorts over any guitar. Unfair. Waiting...

Edit: It's a decent looking guitar but I never create opinions about stuff I've never played. Besides, materials have a very personal place in a person's psyche with acoustic guitars and plastic isn't one that has such a place in mine. Not even in the bindings.

• Members

They sound pretty much like a Martin. Just not as sweet as the all wood ones.

I considered one when looking for something similar, an acoustic-elec fingerpicker.

But I wound up going for more traditional materials/construction, a Recording King R07, albeit laminated back and sides. Its 24.75 scale, & has the wider fingerstyle nut.

I added the Baggs M1 and still came in well under $500. Its been my main acoustic now for about 2 yrs and I am still well pleased with it.

111210-101510.jpg

• Members

Am I the only one who has never been blown away by an acoustic guitar? I read this a fair amount, though, and I can't help but wonder if I'm being too picky or too honest. I've yet to get that sudden dampening in my shorts over any guitar. Unfair. Waiting...

I'd assumed it was me or that I was especially tin eared. I played a D35 a while back and frankly I couldn't see what the fuss was about. I mean, it sounded nice and I've heard other guitars that sounded really good but maybe I just expected too much. :confused:

• Members

Edit: It's a decent looking guitar but I never create opinions about stuff I've never played. Besides, materials have a very personal place in a person's psyche with acoustic guitars and plastic isn't one that has such a place in mine. Not even in the bindings.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sacrilege!

• Members

I'd assumed it was me or that I was especially tin eared. I played a D35 a while back and frankly I couldn't see what the fuss was about.
I mean, it sounded
nice
and I've heard other guitars that sounded really good but maybe
I just expected too much
:confused:

ok srsly, WHAT do u expect an acoustic guitar to do?

it will never do ur windows, if thats what u expected.

lol @ "i mean it sounded nice..." :lol::lol::lol:

Archived