I don't like the neck on my guitar

Freeman Keller

• Members

Ever play (or own) a guitar that you really like except that the neck just isn't right? Too fat, too skinny, too much vee, not enough vee - just something wrong with it?

Well, a couple of years ago I built a ladder braced 12 string roughly based on some pictures and hand written plans of an old Stella. They gave the width of the neck at the nut and the depth, and I had always heard that things things had necks "like a baseball bat". So what I ended up with looked like the pictures and could have knocked it over the fence (if I took enough steroids...)

IMG_0825.jpg

but I just didn't like it. The shape was pretty much a big fat D - most of my other guitars are more what I call a modified Vee, so after fighting this thing for a couple of years I decided it was time to fix it. Two things made this reasonable, I had a small amount of left over lacquer that I knew would go bad if I saved it and the neck was a bolt on so I could easily remove it (Stellas would have been dovetail back in the 30's)

So off it came, the tuners too. First problem, the headstock was too thick. That was pretty easy

IMG_0827.jpg

I didn't like the way the neck didn't blend into the headstock, so I changed that to a little more modern design

IMG_0828.jpg

and then went to work on the girth

IMG_0829.jpg

The template that fit the 12th fret of the Lester seemed about right for the nut of the 12 string

IMG_0830.jpg

I thought I would try a little experiment here - KTM-9 has become my finish of choice, but I've always sprayed it. I had heard that it was a good brushing lacquer so I thought I'd try. Since this guitar is supposed to have some 30's mojo a deep gloss wet look finish isn't what I wanted, but I still want some gloss and depth. This is a special brush recommended - it apparently won't absorb water

IMG_0832.jpg

Three coats a day for a week, with light sanding in between

IMG_0834.jpg

Sanded to 1500, then micro mesh to 12000 and finally StewMac fine compound with a simple foam pad in a drill motor

IMG_0837.jpg

By the way, that is a scarf jointed headstock - it is cut from a separate piece of wood and glued on - the grain is at an angle and makes it much stronger (as well as saving a great deal of scrap wood)

I'm much happier with this

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

• Members

Wow. Great story, and with pics! Beautiful work, as always with your projects.

My Yammie jumbo has a too-fat and too-wide neck, even though I love everything else about it. I've always wished its neck was more like my Hummingbird's. But it has binding, which I guess complicates things somewhat.

• Members

Beautiful work, FK!

May I ask where you got the brush? Now that I've seen the results of someone actually brushing on KTM-9 (no way I can spray here), I may have to give it a try on git #3 (#2 is currently getting a FP finish). FP is beautiful and easy, but I'd really like to start using something more durable.

I'm not too crazy about the way the neck ended up on git #1 (too chunky). Not sure I have your guts, but maybe I'll take another whack at it some day. :thu:

• Members

Looks great!! I realy like the new neck/headstock transition you made. Looks much more finished. I was thinking of cutting the neck on my cheapy beater Epi accustic... I hate the thing!! WAY to thick for me, almost twice as thick as my lessPaul.and eaven thicker then my resonator. And I got it for free so if I mess it up, its no great loss. :D

• Members

May I ask where you got the brush? Now that I've seen the results of someone actually brushing on KTM-9 (no way I can spray here), I may have to give it a try on git #3 (#2 is currently getting a FP finish). FP is beautiful and easy, but I'd really like to start using something more durable.

The brush is the one recommended in this article

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/BRUSHINGKTM-9.htm

it is a 2 inch Wooster brand "Shortcut" that I bought at Home Depot for about 5 bucks. I would have liked a smaller one - say one inch, tbut this is all they had. After sanding (400 grit) I wiped the neck with a little bit of denatured alcohol which makes the old finish slightly tacky, then brushed on a very thin coat. It takes very little finish when brused on - I would just dip the very tip of the angled part of the brush in the finish and flow it on. I did get a few runs, they sanded out easily. Cleans up with soapy water.

• Members

The brush is the one recommended in this article

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/BRUSHINGKTM-9.htm

it is a 2 inch Wooster brand "Shortcut" that I bought at Home Depot for about 5 bucks. I would have liked a smaller one - say one inch, tbut this is all they had. After sanding (400 grit) I wiped the neck with a little bit of denatured alcohol which makes the old finish slightly tacky, then brushed on a very thin coat. It takes very little finish when brused on - I would just dip the very tip of the angled part of the brush in the finish and flow it on. I did get a few runs, they sanded out easily. Cleans up with soapy water.

Thanks! :thu:

Archived