Anyone here actually use DADGAD regularly...?

Brindleleaf

• Members

I use lots of alternate tunings... DADGAD, DADF#AD (Open D major), DADFAD (Open D minor), CGCFCE, BEBEBE, EADEBE (Nick Drake tunings), DGCGCD (Rain Song for example) etc. They're fun to mess around with, and you can get some interesting sounds especially combined with a capo, but I do tend to break more strings than I probably should ;)

• Members

Not exclusively, but I use numerous tunings....love to experiment....DGCGCD, Double DropD, EBEEBE, EBDGAD to name a few....Neil Young, Zep and CSN use those and modifications of them.

I have written a few songs in DADF#AD...love that sound too...

• Members

I think I see the rub where a simply fretted and picked tune in some alternate tuning that sells better than a complex one in standard could slight the skills required of the latter. May as well find a decent beer to cry in because the audience just doesn't empathize.

Eh, who cares how hard it is to play? it's how it sounds that matters. It's a musical instrument, not a finger-gymnastics device.

• Members

I think that there is a tendency to regard DADGAD as a predominantly traddy/folkie tuning.

Anyone who feels like that should give ear to some stuff, like 'Hemingways Shotgun', by Americana/Blues/Country maestro Eric Taylor...

or, from youtube 'Prison Movie'

• Members

I think that there is a tendency to regard DADGAD as a predominantly traddy/folkie tuning.

Anyone who feels like that should give ear to some stuff, like 'Hemingways Shotgun', by Americana/Blues/Country maestro Eric Taylor...

or, from youtube 'Prison Movie'

Pierre Bensusan uses it a lot, too...suppose his music could be called "New Age"...

• Members

The only tunings I use, other than standard, is "Drop D" and "Open G". (DGDGBD). I learned a couple of instrumental pieces way back when I was in the Army that are done in open G, so I mess with those every once in ahwile.

I'm pretty much (99%) a standard tuning type guy. I've got only two guitars and don't care for a lot of tuning and retuning. Actually, mine are tuned down to D-G-C-F-A-D...suits my voice range better.

• Members

Alternate tunings... I like open G. And open D. But I mainly use those with a slide. Haven't played much in DADGAD, but that's mainly because I always end up playing Kashmir by Led Zep whenever I tune that way, and that is a song I find impossible to stop playing. I've had some fun with DDDDAD, though. Both playing 4+20, and even writing a tune of my own.

• Members

Its kind of funny - I play in a lot of open tunings - G, D, and C, plus "high bass G" - and a little in dropped D, but absolutely nothing in DADGAD. However Michael Hedges and several of the other what I call "Windem Hill" artistics used in almost exclusively. It is a very popular tuning for Celtic music and other stuff that has a lot of droning strings (since I don't play any of that I don't use DADGAD, duh).

DADGAD and dropped D are what I have heard called "altered tunings", they make it easier to play in certain keys, often more difficult to play in others, but they are not really "open tunings" since they are not tuned to a true chord. Open tunings (G, D, Dminor, etc) are also altered, but they are also a chord. I use them a lot for both slide and fingerstyle stuff.

• Members

I do play in a lot of the open tunings, but not so much in DADGAD. For years I played almost exclusively in open G and dropped D and double dropped D. I also used Sandy Bull's tuning for raga style BBBG#BE. I quit playing for a long time, many years, and I think mainly because it got too limiting and things started all sounding the same. I find, now that I have paid more attention to music theory that I enjoy regular tuning a lot more. I seem to experiment a lot with jazz style chords and find that to be very satisfying. OTOH, I recently got a spider capo and find it to be entertaining as well.

Bob

• Members

Live and let live is what I always say. People can play however they want, what's it to me? You can obtain different sounds by retuning a guitar and/or using a capo (plus a capo is damn handy for those of us who sing or accompany singers), that aren't even possible in standard tuning, so I don't really see how it's cheating.

As for keyboard vs guitar, sure they can play the same notes, but they do not sound the same. Nor is a keyboard as portable or as conductive to performing on a stage while singing and moving about. They're completely different instruments. Neither is better than the other per se, just different.

• Members

I have a $5 classical 3/4 sized guitar that I bought at a yard sale. I use a modified DADGAD tuning that I call DADXAD. I removed the G string so that it's really easy to play melody on the two treble strings and use the three bass strings as a kind of drone chord/pedal note sound. I've used this guitar when I'm doing quiet instrumental gigs in restaurants and people always tell me how much they like the sound.

• Members

That song is much more convincing in standard tuning with different open chording. Dale's version might follow the DB's actual chording but if you're going for the open sound of strings the C/F chording resolving to Bb sounds better, albeit a bit harder, but it nuances out much more melodically.

The thing about alternate tuning is the chords are not something I'm likely to remember too far down the road.

Tabs please ...

• Members

Tabs? I don't know tablature. Have never used it. I figured out the song back when it first debuted. I might get some chords up for you, though. Playing them should cue the melody. They're in standard tuning.

I'd pretty much need the tabs and a tutorial to boot probably. :)

• Members

I met the mod of the Song Writing Forum when I was out his way last year. Hey Blue :wave: We did some picking and he showed it to me. I really like open tunings but that was one I'd never played around with before that day.

I need to spend some more time with it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I was messing around with the opposite of DADGAD, at least I think it's the opposite, instead of tuning the 6th, 2nd and 1st down a whole step I tuned the 5th, 4th and 3rd string down a whole step. I call it Inside Out DADGAD or EGCFBE...

[video=youtube;cyRVeIJHf7k]

Archived