So, Batman, Should I buy this?

Gary Blanchard

• Members

From my local Craigslist:

1960s custom built guitar (turners falls)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2012-07-11, 12:37PM EDT

Reply to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a very sweet hand built guitar one of a kind needs a little tlc but an awsome piece

if you want unique one of a kind this is for you my want simple is 14k gold or better good scrap or broken no problem give me a call the worse i can do is say no give me a call

5L55E85Me3Ib3o73p2c6td55e2c699c781945.jp

5Ed5W35M83M53I53p0c6t1612a3a2d3e31291.jp

• Members

Even if it didn`t have the weird bridge it still looks like a home-made POS. The top looks like it is about to come apart with the center seam having glue (or something?) smeared on it and a big gnarly looking crack on the bass side. I shudder to think how many more cracks and issues this thing has..

I wonder what a "Real" guitar builder could do with a Batman Theme on a guitar.. "In 2014 Colings Guitars Offer Our New "BATMAN" Guitar!!!". Guitar is equipped with a spring loaded projectile knife in the headstock, over 37 secret compartments, a poisonous gassing system, AND converts to a solar powered vehicle capable of speeds up to 169mph!!!

Instead of musical notes our new BATMAN!! guitar plays "BAM!!", "POW!!" and "WHAM!!!".

• Members

I, possessing an open mind, am curious as to what it sounds like...if it was within easy driving distance, I'd be inclined to go find out.

I've run across a few truly butt-ugly one-offs, like that one, that sounded surprisingly good! One, w/ a redwood top and mahogany b/s, has a huge bridge like that, except it is a butterfly, w/ a lot of pretty inlays, and it has the best tonal balance I've ever heard in a dreadnaught. My friend Darlene picked it up at a Nashville swap meet for next to nothing, and it's been her main acoustic guitar for at least 20 years.

I looked inside, with a mirror, when I installed a p/u, and saw that it had a very unusual bracing system, kinda a cross between X-bracing and fan-bracing. No idea who the builder was, as there's no label or name on it, other than 3 initials on the neck-block.

• Members

That one is bat butt ugly, and besides, Gary, it doesn't have enough strings for you. This one, however, is the Bat Out of Hell, and has your name all over it

batFrontThumb.jpg

I love 12-strings, and have played resonator guitar in the past, but I don't think I'd care for the combination. That is a wild-looking guitar, though.

Archived