MArtin D-28 Marquis vs HD-28V

23miles

• Members

Martin D-28 Marquis vs HD-28V. Was in a store yesterday and played both. The D-28 Marquis was used and a couple of years old; it was in excellent condition. The HD-28V was new. Very similar in price, the Marquis was about $100 less, and both sounded great. Which would you pick and why?

• Members

There are few real differences in playability/sound features between those models:

The D-28 Marquis has the thirties style long glued-in saddle. The HD-28V has the vintage drop-in saddle.

The D-28 Marquis has an Adirondack spruce top and top braces. The HD-28V has a Sitka spruce top and top braces.

The D-28 Marquis has fossilized ivory saddle and nut. The HD-28V has bone.

A used D-28 Marquis in good condition should be around $2700 with no warranty, and it will likely not depreciate much in the future. A new HD-28V can be had new for about $2500, and it has a warranty, but it will only be worth a little over two grand used. The good Geib style 545E case should be standard with both.

There are lots of difference in bling that do not affect playability or sound, but affect cost. Whatever floats yer boat. If you like the extra bling enough to pay extra for it, the Marquis might be for you, but if you want one to keep for the long haul, the HD-28V is a better value IMHO.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Marquisthumb.gif
Adi top for someone like me, with a heavier touch, is a must. It's like a great tube amp; the more you dig in the better it sounds.
The Adi top makes it a no brainer for the Marquis. Unless you prefer Sitka.
I went for the Marquis and never looked back.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post

There are lots of difference in bling that do not affect playability or sound, but affect cost. Whatever floats yer boat. If you like the extra bling enough to pay extra for it, the Marquis might be for you, but if you want one to keep for the long haul, the HD-28V is a better value IMHO.
There is no real Bling difference. Although the sound is different due to the Adi top which has a considerable up charge on a Martin. I think the tuners are upgraded also. That's were there is a difference in cost.

• Members

Thanks for the input. Spent some additional time with both. The are a bit different. And it is true that the Marquis hold up better under a heavy attack - however my style, such as it is, uses a light attack. Both guitars sound fantastic, the Marquis, which is a couple of years older seems a bit more mellow. Tough call, but luckily I don't think I can loose either way. I went with the HD-28V.

• Members

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 1.75" neck on the Marquis - it's one of my favorites features. I find I play better with more room for my fat fingers...

The wider neck/string spacing are great, but I am also one of those folks who like Adi better.

Here's my shadetop.

NewMartin.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BlackCustom View Post
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 1.75" neck on the Marquis - it's one of my favorites features. I find I play better with more room for my fat fingers...

The wider neck/string spacing are great, but I am also one of those folks who like Adi better.

Here's my shadetop.

NewMartin.jpg
Sweeet! They are lovely. I would be jealous but I am trying not to second guess myself.

• Members

Congratulations.

I had a D-18V, had to sell it, but plan to get an HD-28V when I replace it. The last two I played really impressed me.

One easy upgrade you might consider is a set of Grover open back 18:1 Stay Tights. They fit perfectly, bushings and screw holes. I think the stock Martin tuners are 14:1 ratio, which I find a bit problematic, but the Grovers are fabulous.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JasmineTea View Post
One easy upgrade you might consider is a set of Grover open back 18:1 Stay Tights. They fit perfectly, bushings and screw holes. I think the stock Martin tuners are 14:1 ratio, which I find a bit problematic, but the Grovers are fabulous.
Thanks for the tip. the first "upgrade" I am going to make is to change the strings. I am not man enough to play the 13 gauge strings that came on that guitar - there I said it!

Update (5-12-2010): I decided to stick with the 13's, took a week or two toget used to them, but they sound so good I am going to stick with them.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by 23miles

View Post

Thanks for the input. Spent some additional time with both. The are a bit different. And it is true that the Marquis hold up better under a heavy attack - however my style, such as it is, uses a light attack. Both guitars sound fantastic, the Marquis, which is a couple of years older seems a bit more mellow. Tough call, but luckily I don't think I can loose either way. I went with the HD-28V.

Can't go wrong with the V...I own a HD28VR and love it. It is built to pre-war D28 specifications with forward shifted scallop bracing. Love the V profile neck on mine. The tuners are lousy and need to be changed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinic

View Post

...FretFiend says the HD28V has "drop-in" saddle, all I've ever seen had the 'long/thru glued-in saddle!!!

Mine is a 1997 HD28VR with the long glued in saddle however in 2003 Martin changed to drop in saddle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by g6120

View Post

Can't go wrong with the V...I own a HD28VR and love it. It is built to pre-war D28 specifications with forward shifted scallop bracing. Love the V profile neck on mine. The tuners are lousy and need to be changed.

I just got an HD28V and really like the tuners. What am I missing / what are the issues?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vman4639

View Post

I just got an HD28V and really like the tuners. What am I missing / what are the issues?

Too much backlash in my 1997 HD28VR tuners. Meaning gear slop. I can turn the tuners and the shaft has a delayed response. This makes it both difficult to tune and difficult to keep in tune. Waverely tuners are the replacement I find most people putting on instead.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by g6120

View Post

Too much backlash in my 1997 HD28VR tuners. Meaning gear slop. I can turn the tuners and the shaft has a delayed response. This makes it both difficult to tune and difficult to keep in tune. Waverely tuners are the replacement I find most people putting on instead.

Interesting. Hopefully my 2012 version has improved in this area - so far I have liked them, but it is new. I'll keep my eyes open for this though - thanks for the tip.

Archived