Clist gold(?) 7 strings the wrong way

tedmich

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Blanchard

View Post

It seems obvious to me that that was retrofitted, and rather poorly, at that. I am most likely wrong, though.

Almost certainly, I would say. But that's how it usually comes out when you do it. I've seen it done using a banjo friction tuner - that can make it a tad tidier.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Blanchard

View Post

It seems obvious to me that that was retrofitted, and rather poorly, at that. I am most likely wrong, though.

Agreed. Retrofitted I'm sure, but I think the "poor look" of the job has more to do with the location of the "Samick" logo than the actual tuner location. Probably not a great example of how a seventh string retrofit should be.

If I tried it on one of mine, I'd end up still having a six-string guitar most of the time. That G-octave string is the one I was always breaking anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by garthman

View Post

It looks about right to me for a "McGuinn" type 7 string.

As much as I admire Roger McGuinn's playing, I have never figured out the appeal of the 7 string (or for that matter, the 8 string Taylor). What I love about a 12 string is the octaves on the low strings - the 7 string just adds jingle jangle to the high G. It is interesting that a few 12 string players actually put unison strings on the third course (rather than an octave).

I guess my feeling is that I would have a hard time justifying an expensive 7 string just for the few songs that it might be useful for. Does anyone here own or play one?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller

View Post

As much as I admire Roger McGuinn's playing, I have never figured out the appeal of the 7 string (or for that matter, the 8 string Taylor). What I love about a 12 string is the octaves on the low strings - the 7 string just adds jingle jangle to the high G.

I highly agree. Having only the one string with the octave seems to defeat the beauty of the 12-string sound.

• Members

View Post

It is interesting that a few 12 string players actually put unison strings on the third course (rather than an octave).

So do I. Well, most of the time as the G-octave regularily snaps early enough. The diference between regular and octave G is almost impossible to hear in a noisy pub session.

• Members

View Post

. . . . I guess my feeling is that I would have a hard time justifying an expensive 7 string just for the few songs that it might be useful for. Does anyone here own or play one?

I agree - I don't really see the point. Why not get a 12 string?

Archived