What gauge do you use on your LP?

acravero

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by acravero

I put some D'addario .10s on last time, but they seem a bit flabby (esp. low E). What gauge does everyone use with their LP/copy?

You may need to adjust your stop tail piece. I'm not sure what you mean by flabby...do you mean not enough tension?

10-46 should work great on just about any LP style guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

You may need to adjust your stop tail piece. I'm not sure what you mean by flabby...do you mean not enough tension?

10-46 should work great on just about any LP style guitar.

DocJeff,

I did have my guitar professionally set up a few months back, however the low E just goes very sharp with hard playing/strumming, and bends are a bit too easy (if that's possible). I attributed it to the short scale of the guitar, and was just wondering if I'd be better off with 11's on the shorter scaled LP. I've been using 11's on my Artcore, and usually use 10's on my Ibanez RG and Floyd-equipped Kramers, but on the LP, 10's just seem too "loose." I just wanted to poll the audience here and see what everyone else uses and if they're happy with 'em.

• Members

Well if you're used to using 10's on an RG, or any other 25.5" scale guitar, than naturally the same strings on a 24.75" scale guitar are going to feel loose comparitively.

I use D'Addario 10's across the board--whether it be Strat, Tele, LP, PRS, etc.

PaulS

• Members

11-48, standard tuning. I was actually thinking of going to 12s. I like my g b and e strings tight. I like feeling it when I bend.

Does DR make a 12 set? I don't want the bottom end much thicker either, 48s work well for me.

• Members

Originally posted by acravero

DocJeff,

I did have my guitar professionally set up a few months back, however the low E just goes very sharp with hard playing/strumming, and bends are a bit too easy (if that's possible).

Did you tell the luthier about your playing style before he set up your guitar? If the E string is going sharp, the pickups may be set too high.

How is the rigidity of your neck? Some Gibsons I've played (and owned) have had really soft necks that could be easily pulled sharp with my left hand.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

Did you tell the luthier about your playing style before he set up your guitar? If the E string is going sharp, the pickups may be set too high.

How is the rigidity of your neck? Some Gibsons I've played (and owned) have had really soft necks that could be easily pulled sharp with my left hand.

Honestly, I gave him the 10s when I had him set it up, and I don't generally play that hard, so the setup he did is good and has been solid (used it for a few shows with no problems). I really think it's just a matter of the 25.5" scale vs. the 24.75" scale for me, and the fact that I've been playing the artcore with 11s a LOT in the past month, as well as my acoustic. So, once I go back to the LP, the decreased tension/shorter scale coupled with the smaller strings just doesn't cut it for me, I guess.

I'm not gonna damage anything by switching to 11s or 12s, then? I just wanted to make sure b/c I heard the headstocks on the newer LPs are pretty fragile and didn't want to add too much tension. Probably stupid, I know, but I saw one with a busted headstock in the shop yesterday. . . got me a little paranoid.

Archived