scam?

jjpistols

• Members

should I even reply?

I saw your item much evitable and We intend paying via western union auction payments ,We would like to ask if you would be able to ship this item tommorow after payments must have been confirmed and approved by via money order western union auction payments .this is due to the fact that its demand is quite high in my stores and hence there is need to reach you if you would be able to sell this to us.let us quickly say that we shall be handling shipping cost with courier serive Discount FEDEX account # so you will not include shipping fees.pls let me know if you can do this by sending your name, address and telephone number to make payment to so that we can proced with payment right as soon as you get back to me

• Members

You can tell his english isn't very good, but I've had a couple folks who wanted to use their own Fed Ex or UPS account to pay for the shipping on their end, it's just their way of assuring that they don't overpay for shipping. Also, some types of shipper accounts with those companies get a discounted rate, so they end up paying less out for shipping. That part to me seems totally legit. I have a hard time really understanding the rest of what they're trying to get at, though, because of the bad english.

I wouldn't ship it until I had received payment, though. If they really want to pay it fast, they can do a money transfer, although check into the cost of that first, and also check into the exchange rate. I did that one time as a favor to an international customer and the person didn't have the currency rate exchanged on his end. I ended up losing about 15 bucks in the exchange rate, which you don't want to do.

Or they could just pay instantly with paypal, too.

• Members

I don't think it looks that out of the ordinary, other than I would NOT ship before I had received payment, one way or the other. Lots of folks with shippers accounts would rather you use their own account because it costs them less.

It does look to me like he wants you to ship it immediately, though, if possible. I'd tell him that will definitely be possible, as long as he pays for it immediately. Otherwise, he can wait until you receive payment, just like anyone else would.

• Members

Originally posted by acravero

I would avoid it like the plague.

+1

I get something like that every time I sell something on eBay. I used to reply just to get bitched at for having the nerve of turning down their request, so I just ignore them anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just google "Ebay scam, Nigeria scam, or Western Union scam.

Tell him to go suck a big one.

yup. It is amazing that people keep falling for these things after all this time. There was a report on one of my local evening news channels the other month about an older woman that fell for the nigerian wire transfer scam.

• Members

After I posted a few items on Craigslist I was getting the same money order scam queries.

After the first 2-3 I just lost it and started swearing at them via email. Once they realized they've been exposed they all shut up and stopped badgering.

Give it a try :)

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

cool - I'm diggin' out my 10 foot pole as we speak

sorry Jon Hiller - I think you are more trusting than I am.

Maybe I'm a bad guy, but I sho is pretty!!!

Well, it's like I said, there's no way I'd ship it before I received payment.

You can't be too careful. And, to tell the truth, I'm about fed up with doing international stuff altogether, although most of my international customers have been fine people to deal with. I have one right now, though, that is making me want to just lose it on the guy. I sold a guy from the UK a Levy's strap three weeks ago today. He paid with paypal, so I shipped it out the same day. I sent it insured airmail parcel post, which the USPS says will take 4-10 days but we all know it normally takes longer... at least it always has in my experience. Anyway, I got in this morning and the guy apparently has filed a Paypal fraud complaint against me because it hasn't shown up yet. I told the guy that it would probably take 4 weeks before it got there, because that had been my normal experience, but the guy says if it hasn't gotten there in 14 days he isn't going to receive it so he wants a refund. He says he'll send my money back to me again when/if he receives the strap..... yeah right.

Anyway, here's where this gets fun, since the guy is an international customer, I apparently have no seller protection in place. My only options with paypal are to 1) refund him now; 2) show tracking information to prove I have shipped it (something you can't do with USPS airmail because they don't give you a tracking number), or 3) show proof you have refunded the guy some other way already. So, I sent paypal a response and included the shipper insurance number that I was given at the post office, hopefully that will be proof enough that I shipped the item to the guy. If not, I guess I'm out my 50 bucks and the strap as well. Nice. Thanks a bunch there, buddy.

• Members

For all you haters of these scams, you have to see this website. Its a couple guys that bait the scammers and make them send in pics of themselves but ask them to do really unusual requests like put fish on their heads!
They end up scamming the scammers most of the time!

www.419eater.com

I thoroughly recommend the scam where they pretend to be FBI agent Dana Scully, its damn hillarious!

• Members
Originally posted by funkywrench

For all you haters of these scams, you have to see this website. Its a couple guys that bait the scammers and make them send in pics of themselves but ask them to do really unusual requests like put fish on their heads!

They end up scamming the scammers most of the time!

www.419eater.com

I thoroughly recommend the scam where they pretend to be FBI agent Dana Scully, its damn hillarious!

Yeah, I'd go ahead and tell him you'll do it, get the money order, frame it or burn it, then do absolutely nothing - Ignore emails for awhile then report them as spam.

Archived