beautiful songs

musicofthemind9

• Members

what is, in your opinion, is the most beautiful guitar driven song you have ever heard, or just the most beautiful song you've ever heard period. the reason im asking is because i can write a heavy song like no tomorrow, but the more melodic, slow, soothing songs are the most challenge for me. i need some inspiration. thanx.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard is "Nothing Left to Say" by Dokken. I read somewhere that Don Dokken wrote it after his niece died.

A few years ago when my father passed away, all during the funeral I just kept repeating that song in my head over and over. It is really emotional for me, and George Lynch does some nice guitar work in it. The song is on the Dysfunctional CD.

• Members

Check Carlos Santana's live version of "Europa". I think the album name is Moonflower.

Another one that comes to mind is from a Robert Plant solo album.

I think the song is called "Big Log". I don't know who is playing the guitar, but it's really nice.

Guest Anonymous

Guns and Roses' November Rain - that is one rock song that touches me everytime I hear it. But it's not guitar rhythm driven...though the Slash solos are amazing in there...

• Members

I'd have to agree with the above poster who suggested "Big Log" by Robert Plant. It's on his CD The Principle of Moments.

Also, "Wicked Game" by Chris Iaasic (sp?) is great

"Look What Love has Done" by Chris Whitley is haunting.

Man, I could go on and on .... :p

• Members

Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix

Castles Made of Sand - Jimi

The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin

Amy - Pure Prairie League

Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore

Wooden Ships - CSNY

In My Life - Beatles

Eleanor Rigby - Beatles

Theme From an Imaginary Western - Mountain

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce

• Members

Anything by Mark Knopfler really..especially the live versions of Brothers In Arms and Telegraph Road. Silvertown Blues (haven't heard it live though) is another favorite.

Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues and Parisienne Walkways (live) rock big time too. I've always loved Pink Floyd's Learning To Fly as well.

I also dig Bon Jovi's Bed of Roses. Sambora's got very tasty leads on that song. Shawn Lane's The Way It Has To Be is also very good.

Ayreon's Amazing Flight part c: Flying Colours is worth a listen too, it's a very nice piano/guitar instrumental part. The rest of the song ain't that great but that part really is. Let's not forget Dream Theater's Another Day either. I think it's still the best song they've ever done and has very tasty guitar playing with good tone..something that is unfortunately a rarity on more recent DT material.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix

Castles Made of Sand - Jimi

The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin

Amy - Pure Prairie League

Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore

Wooden Ships - CSNY

In My Life - Beatles

Eleanor Rigby - Beatles

Theme From an Imaginary Western - Mountain

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce

+1 to this entire list, plus Wicked Game by Chris Isaak and 1983 - A Merman I Should Turn To Be by Jimi Hendrix.

Archived