Haggling at Guitar Center

bullpencoach

• Members

Hi. I'd like to pick up a Highway 1 Strat, which retails at about $629 most places. How much could I reasonably expect to bargain with Guitar Center? Unless it's significant, I might be more inclined to simply buy from a smaller store that I like, which will set up the guitar properly. Thanks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as i've been told, look at the List price on the tag. That should be double what they paid for the guitar. Most places are looking to make at least 30% of profit on the merchandise, so I'd say start by asking like 475 and a hardshell case. They'll probably laugh at you at first, but just be prepared for it. Then ask them what they can do for you pricewise. They might come back and say 550 with the case. Be wary, and then say how about 500 with the case. They might come down a bit from 550, then make a lower offer, like 525. If they say no, just say alright nevermind then and most of the time they won't want to lose business so they say "oh wait I'll see what I can do."

I mean, prices here in this watered down, generic example are just figures, but I mean you might be able to pick up the guitar for 500 plus a case. Just start somewhere and keep talking. They want your money, and for such a big company like guitar center you're likely to be able to get a good deal. Just don't be afraid to stiff them.

• Members

Seriously.

I know there are some on this board who look for bottom line.

Not me.

I want my Mom & Pop to be there today, tomorrow and well into the future.

I get all my accessories there (that's a huge profit center for them).

My big ticket items, I know they'll cut me good price- never sticker price.

Service after sale- by competent professionals.

Sound advice- won't try to sell me the wrong tool for the job, or whatever is on blowout that comes close- because they want me back.

• Members

I want my Mom & Pop to be there today, tomorrow and well into the future.

My local mom and pop store didn't do very well in the service dept when they wouldn't take care of a cable I got from them that had a lifetime warranty. Even after I had gotten 2 guitars from them in the past 2 years. Guitar Center for all their shortcomings, did whatever they had to today to make the sale.

Here's what I did. I found a price on a blem guitar online. Printed it out and took it to them. Mind you, I made sure it didn't say blem anywhere on the printout I took to them. I got a Standard Tele at the online price.

• Members

Originally posted by xStonr

My local mom and pop store didn't do very well in the service dept when they wouldn't take care of a cable I got from them that had a lifetime warranty. Even after I had gotten 2 guitars from them in the past 2 years. Guitar Center for all their shortcomings, did whatever they had to today to make the sale.

Here's what I did. I found a price on a blem guitar online. Printed it out and took it to them. Mind you, I made sure it didn't say blem anywhere on the printout I took to them. I got a Standard Tele which is priced at $370.00 for $315.00

A) your local mom & pop will not last doing that {censored}

B) are you proud of being dishonest?

• Members

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

Seriously.

I know there are some on this board who look for bottom line.

Not me.

Yeah, well, that's cause your'e freaking RICH, man!!!

I know the kind of money you make, the house you live in, the cars you drive...

If I had YOUR bread, I wouldn't worry about "bottom line" either!!!

• Members

Originally posted by TeleCastrMaster

Yeah, well, that's cause your'e freaking RICH, man!!!

I know the kind of money you make, the house you live in, the cars you drive...

If I had YOUR bread, I wouldn't worry about "bottom line" either!!!

Wrong, bongo breath.

Just a guy helping his local community thrive.

Nothing special. Nothing you couldn't do yourself.

• Members

One thing that helps with any local store, including GC-----become friends (a real friend) of one of the salesmen there that has his act somewhat together and knows what's going on. Buy the ocassional effect or some medium priced item at regular price every now and then without trying to scam them down to the lowest price every single time and show loyalty to that store. Then when it comes time to buy a big ticket item, they will remember your loyalty and that you are a "good guy" that doesn't always come in haggling away as if you were a homeless person and they will tend to hook you up when it counts. Works for me. :D When it comes to used big ticket items, there is alway plenty of room to bargain at GC.

• Members
Originally posted by KoaFreak

One thing that helps with any local store, including GC-----become friends (a real friend) of one of the salesmen there that has his act somewhat together and knows what's going on. Buy the ocassional effect or some medium priced item at regular price every now and then without trying to scam them down to the lowest price every single time and show loyalty to that store. Then when it comes time to buy a big ticket item, they will remember your loyalty and that you are a "good guy" that doesn't always come in haggling away as if you were a homeless person and they will tend to hook you up when it counts. Works for me.
:D
When it comes to used big ticket items, there is alway plenty of room to bargain at GC.

I couldn't spend 10 minutes in a GC, let alone develop a relationship.

OTOH, I am good friends with everyone at my Mom & Pop. Most of them have been to my house.

• Members

Go to the manufacturer's website and find list price. Guitar center paid 45% of that plus shipping (probably about $15 in their case). That's your negotiating floor.

Push every button you've got (web quotes, "Shelf wear" real or imagined, claim it's an unatractive color, etc. to get as close to that point as you can. They'll fight you tooth and nail, but you can usually get within 10% of that figure if you work it right. Better if the item's been there a while.

• Members
Originally posted by TeleCastrMaster

So the stable of high performance autos, the palatial mansion, the domestic staff...

That's just gravy.

I see.

You've been there.

How'd you get through the gates?

I'm going to have to replace the guards...again!

:mad:

• Members

A big store like guitar center probably helps your community more than any mom and pop store.

they take on more of the tax burden, gov't takes less from you. and actually brings property values up.

mom and pop store doesn't do that.

big chain stores do that.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

A big store like guitar center probably helps your community more than any mom and pop store.

they take on more of the tax burden, gov't takes less from you. and actually brings property values up.

Yeeks, what a load of bull.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

I agree with him. My mom and pop has every used guitar retail priced for what a new one goes for. You think they tell a mom and her 13 year old son that when they walk in? No. They say, "Well, if $300 is your budget, we have a nice used Squire Bullet right here. Almost as good as that $1200 Fender 'cept it doesn't have the unecessary features only a professional would want. This is perfect for your kid." It's all about capitalism. Compete or fold under - then you can be a salesperson at GC when they move in.

• Members

I went to my local mom and pop store (bently music in parkville missouri) and in 2 weeks i spent $300. after a few weeks i took my guitars there for service and they robbed me for about $150. in labor! They butchered my model1 charvel and my ibanez RG. When i took it back and complained they wanted to charge me again to repair what they screwed up. "if you would of had the same tech fix it you wouldnt be charged again" but if you ask me why would i want the same jackass to fix what should of been done right the first time?

I havnt been back there since.

• Members

People got hosed by Mom and Pop music stores, too. Then again, there are some like Centre City that are great to work with.

GC is like a car dealership, so it's easy to negotiate with them if you've ever bought a car. Do all the research, get prices from online dealers, ask those dealers to submit their best price bids, then take those to GC and ask them to be the deal, including the tax. It's simple, really, and you don't have to try and figure out their margin. Their competitors will do that work for you. Once you've done it a few times, it actually becomes pleasurable buying at GC.

But just know that with the money you've saved, you should immediately pick up Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide". You may need it - but you should know that stuff anyway.

Those Highway 1's come with Gig Bags, not cases. I tried to get dealers to sell me one with a case instead of the bag, and nobody went for it.

• Members

all this 50% of list is what they pay is bad information. company discount structures are all different so sometimes, especially on high end gear, margins are thin. Consider mesa boogie, dealer net is 90% of retail. You have to think about "pro user net" when making purchases from some of those companies.

• Members

If you want that smaller store to be there in the future, patronize them.

Make your best deal at GC, MF, where ever. Then, return to you local shop, have them make their best deal. If they can;t meet or beat GC/MF etc, then go ahead and buy from the least expensive source.

BUT...

If that doesn't happen to be your local shop, return there with your receipt and with their offer, and cut them a check for the difference...just to keep them in business and keep your conscience clean.

• Members

have you ever been to washington music center or do you just mail order from them? They are the single largest private music retailer in the nation and possibly the world. start looking through cd jackets and you might be supprised to see them listed. They are huge and most of the buildings on the block are owned by them for warehousing. Certainly not hole in the wall.

• Members

A) your local mom & pop will not last doing that {censored}

B) are you proud of being dishonest?

A. It was a guarantee that they didn't stand by. The manufacturer took care of it.

B. If it was below their cost, they would not have sold me the guitar.

Archived