Haggling at Guitar Center

bullpencoach

• Members
Originally posted by Polaris20

Yeah, because a mom&pop store that moves $400,000 a year in inventory if they're lucky gets the same pricing from Fender or Ibanez as GC with millions in sales a year, right?
:rolleyes:

We all have our crosses to bear, I suppose.

Do you believe they're as concerned with my bottom line as I'm supposed to be with theirs? It's amazing how all of this loyalty is supposed to only flow in one direction.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The small dealer pays 50% of msrp, the sellers that move tons of product will pay 35% or less depending on the terms of the dealership agreement. With overhead you add an extra 15-30% to the dealer cost. You should be on any given day to walk out of gc with 55% of msrp for anything because they don't care, as long as it moves!

• Members

Speaking of haggling with GC...does anyone know how low they will go on a new Gibson LP Standard Faded? I'm thinking about picking one up if they'll come down on it.

A couple of months ago I got a used 1960a cab for $399. They had it marked for $550.

• Members
Originally posted by Kung-Fool

Speaking of haggling with GC...does anyone know how low they will go on a new Gibson LP Standard Faded? I'm thinking about picking one up if they'll come down on it.

Curious as well.... Been seriously GAS'ing for a Gibson LP Standard Limited Edition, but it sells for $2399.

f5_1_b.JPG

MF has a blem for $2k, if they'd match or beat that, I'd probably buy.

• Members

What's List for those? As people have mentioned. About 55% of list is the best you can hope for from GC.

Someone who had worked for GC mentioned in another thread that the sales staff is trained to take anything that will give GC a profit, no matter what.

They may or may not take it, but that's where I'd start - 55% of list.

• Members
Originally posted by d_dave_c

What's List for those? As people have mentioned. About 55% of list is the best you can hope for from GC.

List is $3,598.00 so 55% off = $1619.10. I'd buy it on the spot!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by d_dave_c

Someone who had worked for GC mentioned in another thread that the sales staff is trained to take anything that will give GC a profit, no matter what.

They may or may not take it, but that's where I'd start - 55% of list.

there was this big article about sales managers from GC...

the lowest they could go is their price to manufacturer + 10%. (which is about 60-65% of retail on most stuff).

• Members

Originally posted by Polaris20

I know for a fact that's not true. No way are small dealers getting guitars for 50% of MSRP.

Ummm.... I work at a fairly small but successful mom-n-pop, and we do PRS, Parker, Godin, and G&L, as well as some cheesier stuff like Dean, and 50% off of list is where most dealer discounts start. There is often an extra percentage off beyond that.

Archived