Mic tips from a professional, what's your opinion?!

• Members

Hi

I just got some GREAT advices from a very professional engineer in the heart of country music in Nashville. He recommended me to buy a large-diaphragm Audio Technica 4033 or 4050 microphone. He said it was very good sounding! I guess the more expensive 4050 with 132dB in dynamic range is what I should focus on... Or what's your opinion about these two mics? Are these very popular in professional recording studios?! Since it's "only" 699 euro I think I might actually buy one..! (just because of the recommendation)

• Members

Originally posted by TonyCrazyMan

Are these very popular in professional recording studios?! Since it's "only" 699 euro I think I might actually buy one..! (just because of the recommendation)

Tony, 699 is only three digits not four.

What gives here???

• Members

Originally posted by TonyCrazyMan

Hi

I just got some GREAT advices from a very professional engineer in the heart of country music in Nashville. He recommended me to buy a large-diaphragm Audio Technica 4033 or 4050 microphone.

WEll, the 4033 is not a 'large diaphragm' mic, if memory serves - it's a 'medium diaphragm' mic, with a 3/4" capsule. The 4050 has a 1" capsule. I'm not a big fan of the 4033 but then, I'm about 20 miles north-west of the heart of country music. I guess I'm in the right shoulder of country music, where we have different tastes in microphones.

I'm with Dave... the 4033 is okay, but nothing that I'd ever go out and spend money on. For most things - especially vocals, I find it too bright. YMMV.

The 4050 is a good all around workhorse mic. Again, nothing that I currently own, and when I had a chance to pick up a couple of slightly used 4050's (used only at the last Grammy show) at a very reasonable price, I passed on it. There are too many other mics that I want and would rather put the money towards. But yes, I think it's a good mic - I definitely prefer it over the 4033.

If you don't need the multipattern capabilities of the 4050, you might want to take a listen to the 4047 too. :)

• Members

I've got a pair of 4033's, and while they are great on certain applications (bright piano, female vocal) IMHO they are not a versatile mic at all. An AKG C414B-ULS would serve you much better, and good used ones are readily available.

What specificially is the application you're buying this for?

• Members

Originally posted by JM350

Tony, 699 is only three digits not four.

What gives here???

It is the recommendation from a very professional guy working with a lot of records I think sounds great which makes me ready to at least think about it. It might be one of all those special cases... But honestly I'm very sceptical, it is way too cheap in my books so I'm not very sure about going for the Audio Technica 4050. I noticed they have 14 of this mic in the studios (!! only the Sennheiser MD421 they have more mics of: 17!) where he is recording so I guess he really spoke from own experiences with the microphone. I don't have any mics in my studio yet, so this would be my first studio mic... I think he was recommending the mics because they are good all around mics that I can use for amplifying many different instruments and get a professional sound with.

If I'm going for any of these mics it will be the Audio Technica 4050...

It seems like you guys think it might be pretty good sounding... I just have to think about this now for a while. BTW, he also recommended me to go for an Api mic pre or a 1272 neve. Which one of these mic pres is the best sounding one?

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I've got a pair of 4033's, and while they are great on certain applications (bright piano, female vocal) IMHO they are not a versatile mic at all. An AKG C414B-ULS would serve you much better, and good used ones are readily available.

What specificially is the application you're buying this for?

Interesting, they have 12 of these...! It takes the third place!

I buy the mic to get a professional sounding recording material when tracking keyboards and vocals in my home recording studio.

• Members

Hi Tony,

I have the C414 BULS and it is a great versitle mic with similar featrues to the 4050 -- both seem to get good reviews.

As far as the API vs Neve preamps, it is up to you. Both are high end mic preamps and it is not so much "which is better" -- both are great and a little different from eachother.

Personlly, I went with one of the kits from Seventh Circle Audio who sells pres similar to the API and Neve types. Right now I have one N72 (neve) and plan on adding a 2nd plus one or two of the API type. However, I don't know if they ship overseas.

Personlly, I went with one of the kits from Seventh Circle Audio who sells pres similar to the API and Neve types. Right now I have one N72 (neve) and plan on adding a 2nd plus one or two of the API type. However, I don't know if they ship overseas.

I've never heard on of those firsthand... how do you like it Picker? Was the build fairly easy? Good quality parts and good instructions? Any problems along the way? Have you done any side by side listening tests with a 1272 and / or clone?

• Members

Sorry, no listening tests. This was my first high end pre so it's hard for me to say how it compares to anything else. I can tell you that it sounds GREAT!!! Very very nice.

I had no previous experience building anything like this, but managed it without too much difficulty. There were a few spots where I had to go back and forth from the instructions online and the pictures to see what they were talking about but the instructions are pretty easy to follow. I was pretty nervous going in, but once I got good at soldering, it went pretty quickly. I took it slowly and finished in about 2 days (one full day and several evening sessions.)

Here's a link to a thread that I posted on SCA's board with my experiences during the build.

http://seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I really love the sounds I'm getting from it. Can't wait to add another channel N72 and start trying the API based A12 or the Jensen (Hardy) based J99.

As far as cost. -- One channel will not save you a great deal of money once you start factoring in buying the Chassis, Solder Iron, Solder etc. the bigger savings will come when I start adding channels. From here on since I already have the chassis and tools each cannel will only run about $350. (the chassis can hold 8ch)

• Members

I keep hearing about the Seventh Circle Audio stuff as well. When I was looking around for Neve-type mic preamps, that name came up several times.

I've used the AT4033, and it's not my favorite mic. I feel it has a pronounced midrange. And yes, it's a medium-diaphragm capsule. I've consistently heard that the AT050 is better.

I don't know what your budget is or what you are recording, but for vocals, the AT4060 is a nice choice, albeit a more expensive one. The Rode NTK or some of their newer mics are nice and worth looking into.

I lucked out and won a Lawson L251, and use those for vocals very often.

For mic preamps, I really really like the FMR RNP, which is a very clean, open sounding mic preamp. I mention this because if you are looking for an API or Neve type mic preamp, generally considered very colored mic preamps, you probably don't want to choose an FMR RNP, which is definitely does not impart much color.

I hope this helps.

Hi Phil.

Archived