AT2020 is in. . .

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey folks, received the AT2020 today, hopefully I'll get some clips this weekend. I'm excited to try it out, but too tired to show it :(

Hope y'all are well. ..

Guest Anonymous

Haha. . the cat is Loki, and very appropriately named! :D That pic was taken the day we brought her home. Now she's the epitome of evil. Unless we give her some catnip. We love her much, but she needs to lose the claws before we lose our new couches :eek:

Guest Anonymous

Good to hear on the 4040, Thelonius :) I was lookin' at those too, but opted for the less-finance-intense mic. haha. Should suit me just fine, can't be worse than what I've been using :o

• Members

Originally posted by fallbackdown

Good to hear on the 4040, Thelonius
:)
I was lookin' at those too, but opted for the less-finance-intense mic. haha. Should suit me just fine, can't be worse than what I've been using
:o

I'm in the market for a JCM800. :p

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Please do post those clips when you get a chance fallbackdown, and let us know what you think of your new mic.
:cool:

Hey Phil, will do. Had kinda a crazy weekend, didn't get a chance to lay anything down. But soon, I promise. I've got a possible project coming up, so I guess I'd better get on it, eh? ;)

Guest Anonymous

Ok! Finally got some clips. My car died yesterday (my '05 Malibu), so I'm home from work today. The playing isn't really up to snuff, but it's a new little ditty that kinda sounds like if EVH and Angus Young had a lovechild. Not the tone, mind you, but the ditty.

Anyway, here's the link

The acoustic guitar is my Yamaha FG-365S, the Tele is my MIM Tele running into my Peavey Backstage 50. (I know you guys have gear envy) I mic'd the acoustic about 18" away from the 14th fret with the 2020, and about 8" away with the Nady SP9. For the electric, I tried to get the mics as close to the same spot facing the speaker as possible. 3" back from the dustcap, off-axis, parallel with the side of the cone. All recordings went thru my Behringer Eurorack UB1002 into the crappy built-in soundcard, into Tracktion. Just for some background. Now I KNOW you guys are envious of my rig ;)

thanks for checkin' it out. . .as a side note, these two mics complement each other really well to my ears, but for all I know, my ears could suck. heheh.

tim

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

What don't you like about Marshalls, if I may ask?

Well, hate is probably the wrong word lol. It's more that I'm totally sick of them.

I've done a LOT of live PA work, and all through particularly the 80s and 90s, 19 out of 20 guitarists would front up with a Marshall. I just found myself craving a different sound. Each band sounded just like the last one because they had the same guitar sound.

I was like... "come on guys, give me a different flavor!" :D

• Members

Just picked up the AT2041SP pack last weekend (AT2020 and AT2021 pencil). I must say I'm impressed with the 2020. Has much more detailed and smooth highs and clarity in the lows than the Samson CO3 I've been using. Great on vocals as well as acoustic guitar. I also tested it on a talking drum and a thumb piano and it captured both nicely. It's also a pretty forgiving mic as far as position is concerned, couldn't really get a bad sound out of it.

The pencil I'm not quite as thrilled with. The highs seem a little sharp for lack of a better word. Mic positioning helped, but I need a little more time with it to experiment before I make any further comments.

Together as a pair I got a wonderful stereo acoustic guitar sound. Also tried a setup with the 2020 positioned as a vocal mic and the 2021 as a guitar mic and got a very balanced voice and guitar mix.

Overall, for $150 I feel these are a good deal for the budget home studio. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Watershed

Well, hate is probably the wrong word lol. It's more that I'm totally sick of them.

I've done a LOT of live PA work, and all through particularly the 80s and 90s, 19 out of 20 guitarists would front up with a Marshall. I just found myself craving a different sound. Each band sounded just like the last one because they had the same guitar sound.

I was like... "come on guys, give me a different flavor!"
:D

I just bought a valvestate combo. So shoot me.

I couldn't afford the JCM800. :p

• Members

Originally posted by wbcsound

Just picked up the AT2041SP pack last weekend (AT2020 and AT2021 pencil). I must say I'm impressed with the 2020. Has much more detailed and smooth highs and clarity in the lows than the Samson CO3 I've been using. Great on vocals as well as acoustic guitar. I also tested it on a talking drum and a thumb piano and it captured both nicely. It's also a pretty forgiving mic as far as position is concerned, couldn't really get a bad sound out of it.

The pencil I'm not quite as thrilled with. The highs seem a little sharp for lack of a better word. Mic positioning helped, but I need a little more time with it to experiment before I make any further comments.

Together as a pair I got a wonderful stereo acoustic guitar sound. Also tried a setup with the 2020 positioned as a vocal mic and the 2021 as a guitar mic and got a very balanced voice and guitar mix.

Overall, for $150 I feel these are a good deal for the budget home studio.
:)

Wow! I just ordered the same thing on Saturday! I have fairly high hopes for the 2020, and figured for the extra fifty another little condenser would be handy, though I can't imagine it will be great.

I've just been using dynamics with my old MD Data 4 track, but I acquired a Firepod recently, and I want to start building a reasonable mic cabinet. I'm just recording myself and my band, so I'm not going to go overboard, but I've heard good things about some of the AT's, and this is the ground floor.

Glad to hear your initial reactions are favorable. BTW, there is a nice thread on SSS above (started by Bruce Swedien) on low-end condensers

I used to read quite a bit about the Studio Projects B1, C1, etc. on HomeRecording.com, so I'm thinking about picking up one of those as well. I need to develop my ears before I venture into the higher reaches of mic moolah.

I'm just recording myself and my band, so I'm not going to go overboard...

Famous last words brother, famous last words. ;) Next thing you know, you'll be asking about stuff in the midrange price class, then once you're really hooked, it will be onwards to the "hard stuff" - Brauners, Soundeluxes, Korbys, vintage AKG's and Neumann's, Telefunkens, etc.

Then you'll find yourself saying "I can quit any time I want". ;):D

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I'm just recording myself and my band, so I'm not going to go overboard...

Famous last words brother, famous last words.
;)
Next thing you know, you'll be asking about stuff in the midrange price class, then once you're really hooked, it will be onwards to the "hard stuff" - Brauners, Soundeluxes, Korbys, vintage AKG's and Neumann's, Telefunkens, etc.

Then you'll find yourself saying "I can quit any time I want".
;):D

Phil, you've got me pegged, alright! In the last few years I've become a real gearaholic, though mostly confined to the realm of live music, while putting most of my recording dollars into working in a small digital project studio where the rate allows me to do some experimentation without going immediately broke.

But my new drummer is a home recordist as well, and thinks he can do a better job of mixing than I've been getting from the little studio (his recordings do sound pretty good, though I don't consider myself a real judge of that yet). So I'm going to give him a chance to make us sound good and hopefully learn some things in the process.

That being the case, I imagine I will be stopping by this forum more often to lurk and refresh my memory and expand my knowledge base of recording principles and wisdom, as well as ask some silly n00by questions.

I've been reading through the Bruce Swedien thread on SSS and catching up on your "Recording Great Sound In Small Spaces" task force project, though I'm still a month or six weeks behind right now. It should be a good resource for me, even though at the moment I don't have plans to design a dedicated space for recording (more famous last words, eh). At least it will give me some ideas about why the space I'm recording in sounds the way it does, and what might be done to improve it.

Anyway, I should have said "I'm not going to go overboard . . . all the way . . . yet."

• Members

I really like the sound of that on the acoustic....

I bet a stereo pair would be very usefull.

It sounded a like some thing may have been over dirver on the electric GRT though. I still rate it high ther though, I think if you spent some time really working teh position of the mic you could get another 10% out of it on the cab.

All and all I like it, thanks for the samples. I love my 3040 on GTR!

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I was actually perfectly happy with the sound I was getting. "Nope, don't really need anything else!!" I would say.

And then I've just gone and purchased a Neve Portico....

You know what I want to buy?!?!

TIME, MAN!!!!!!!

I would love to have more..........

• Members

Originally posted by guitwizz

You know what I want to buy?!?!

TIME, MAN!!!!!!!

I would love to have more..........

Now that would be very welcome!!

I can't complain too much because I get to travel for two months out of the year. The rest of the time, I'm usually quite busy.

Speaking of which, gotta do a recording session......for my Dad!!!!

Archived