To Les Paul or not to Les Paul

HighVolter29

• Members

Hi,

I'm a newbie. Now that this is stated, I can explain my thread :p

Well, It's been 2 year I own a Takamine accoustic guitar and 1 year I own a Godin Freeway Classic. I really dig playing guitar. It's nothing too serious... more for pleasure and fun. I'm planning with a couple of friends to play in a show at my college. I might tell you which song I plan to play so you know what kind of music I play:

1 - AC/DC - Back in Black

2 - Alexisonfire - "Hey it's your funeral mama!"

3 - RATM - Bombtrack

4 - At the drive-in - One Armed Scissor

So as I was saying, It's been 1 year I play on my Godin Freeway Classic ( http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewayclassicp.htm ) and I want to define my sound. I have a cube 30 amp and I started to hate te distortion. So I bought a Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n pedal and it rocks !!! :cool:

I though also of buying new Seymour Duncans pickups... something like JB4 to get a Les Paul-ish hard rock sound. But then I though that maybe because of how my Freeway is made and the wood (I really don't know anything about all that stuff....) it would give me the LP sound. So then I though of buying an Epiphone. The one I like is about 490$CDN. I've seen a lot of people on the forum talk about the Agile LP copies... I really like this one: http://www.rondomusic.net/al28003tsashtop.html maybe an al3000 would be better for the wood, I don't know... I propably will change the pickups for some Duncans.

So I don't know what to do, should I just put new pickups in my Godin or will a LP type guitar will really sound different from the actual setup I have. Some things are certain, I don't have a lot of money and I don't plan on selling my Freeway for now...

I would really appreciate some inputs!

Thanks

• Members

you can achieve a more les paul'ish tone by putting new pickups in your guitar, but there's no way you're gonna get near the real lp sound. As for new guitars, i absolutely hate epiphones and everything about them, i've never played one that felt or sounded good to me. And ive never actually played an agile but ive hear nothing but awesome things about them. So i'd suggest go the Agile route, and swap out the pickups for some hotter ones. You'd want something hotter for bands like alexis, rage and atdi, so you might want to check out a duncan JB for the bridge. It's a hotter pickup but still keeps that PAF sound.

Hope this helps.

• Members

The Gibson Les Paul Vintage seems kinda cheap to me... even though it has the Gibson tag on it, does it mean that it's good quality ? And it doesn't look too good.......

About the Agile, are they made of good quality wood, comparable to Gibson guitars ?

And all which Agile model do you recomand ?

• Members

I bought this copy out of curiousity and because I wanted a greenburst LP shaped guitar. It is far better than it has a right to be considering the price. Stays in tune ok and the neck is great. With a few bucks for different pickups it is a very usable gigging guitar. Certainly not as good as a Gibby or even an Epi w/upgraded pickups but at least on par with the Agiles and the tons of other lower end brands. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7348622387&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

• Members
Originally posted by HighVolter29

The Gibson Les Paul Vintage seems kinda cheap to me... even though it has the Gibson tag on it, does it mean that it's good quality ? And it doesn't look too good.......

About the Agile, are they made of good quality wood, comparable to Gibson guitars ?

And all which Agile model do you recomand ?

Part of what gives a standard Gibson Les Paul its tone is the combination of mahogany body and maple top. The Gibson Vintage guitar does not have the maple top, so the tone will be a little different (the maple top is a very hard wood which adds a lot to the sustain). Just FYI.

I have a number of Gibsons including a couple of Les Pauls, and if you can afford one, they are great guitars. You are, indeed, paying a premium for the name Gibson, however, and you have to understand that, and want that particular guitar bad enough (obviously plenty of people do).

I have heard really good things about the Agile, and in fact heard a "blind comparison" on another forum between an Agile and a Gibson Les Paul. I correctly guessed which one was the Agile, because it wasn't quite as warm sounding and didn't have the Les Paul signature sound exactly, but it was a fine sounding instrument, and about 1/3 the cost of the Gibson it was being compared to.

Good luck with your search!:)

• Members

By any chance, do you remember where you found that comparison ?!?!

Yes, it was on a forum called the "watering hole". It's www.thewateringhole.net.

You have to become a member to access the forum, it's not an open access forum. You could join, and then search for "comparison: agile vs. Gibson" and you will find the comparison. I just checked and it still there (dated Sept 21, 2005).

It's not a big forum, it's a small group of guys, but they are all cool guys and good musicians.

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

you dont like tube amps,
:eek:
..... good lord son you need therapy:p ........ switching to tubes at first seems odd, but when you give it time you realise how rich and dynamic they are

I don't think he needs therapy.
Some players just don't like tubes, Frank Gambale comes to mind.

• Members

Also I could exchange my Cube 30 + money for a Jazz Chorus 77... would this be a good move ?

No - the Jazz Chorus really isn't designed for rock. If you DO want another amp, you should consider the Peavey classic series. You might also look at a Marshall valvestate for decent crunch and drive tones at a budget price. Actually, despite some of the rude comments I've seen, Marshall MG100s can sound seriously decent if you don't mind the fact that it's a very cheaply built amp.

I understand about the not liking valves - they don't have the same crunch tone of good SS overdrive - smoother, less granular and solid. However a well cranked valve amp pushed into drive should sound like warm thunder behind you, and will sound more rewarding at higher stage volumes. Many also push their valve amps with a device like the 'muff'n' to help that happen.

FWIW the Godin you have is an excellent instrument, despite it's relatively low price.

Right, first question - what's your budget? If you can manage about $600 to $800 US then look at a used Les Paul studio. A good one (the best LP I've ever handled anywhere was a studio) will fall comfortable into this price range. If around $500 is the limit then you might be better off with an Agile 3500 (duncan PUs as standard).

Ignore the 'lawsuit jap LPs' thing. Some WERE good, but I'm not sure you'd have the experience to tell the great from the cack (and many were cack). You could also try for a used Tokai Love Rock, but again, these can be patchy - play before buying if possible.

• Members

If your budget is really tight, I'd recommend one of these over that guitar on the link you posted:

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000rghtleft.html

The woods are correct for a Les Paul-type tone. I would probably want to swap the PUs though. If you wanted a 'vintage' type tone then for some GFS '59s. For a more modern rock tone I'd look for some used Gibson 490/498T or 496/500Ts - there's usually someone on HC trying to unload some. The 496/500s are high output, and will really push your amp. the 490/498s are more modest and classically toned, while the GFS PUs are sweetly vintage and lower output still - probably lower than your Godin's.

• Members

How to Improve tone:

1. Stick with the Godin, its a good guitar. Unless you plan on playing classical music in front of 3000 people it'll do just fine

2. Buy a good tube amp with a good speaker. Coupled with your pedal it'll sound great.

3. Log off of this forum and never come back. Take the time you would have spent here and use it for practice.
YOUR TONE WILL IMPROVE 10 FOLD

Archived