Originally posted by Virgman

Questions to ask your WalMart / Target salesperson:

"Do you have any Gibson SG's ?"

Answer:

"Ma'am, we only have what's on the shelf."

"Does this Studio model come with a gig bag?"

Answer:

(Looks at box with puzzled expression)

"Uh, not sure. I just started here yesterday. Let me go find someone who knows." (Leaves and never returns. After several minutes you walk out in frustration.)

;)

The same happens at GC :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My first-ever guitar was a Silvertone from Sears that my Dad bought me. It was an acoustic and I played hell out of it, though I can't remeber the model, or where the heck it wound up. More than likely my cousins got hold of it.

• Members

One of my first guitars was a wine red Les Paul copy from Sears. It wasn't bad for a $100 guitar. Obviously we didn't have internet in 1982 so there was no place like this to come to for useful info. If I had known then that I could have put better pickups in it, I probably would have kept it. I'm thinking of snagging an Agile in that color, just for old times sake. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Being surprised by this makes you look like you were born last week. WalMart is NOT the first to do this so get that out of your heads right now. Sears was selling guitars for decades, as far back as the 60s, maybe 50s. I remember as a kid in the early 80s I could've gotten a guitar for $40 or so (and I THINK it was at WalMart, don't quote me), yet most people talk as if this is new ground being covered here.

Looks like a Charvel San Dimas, although I know it's not.

Actually I have seen an old Sears Catalog from 1898 where they were selling their own special made guitars (probably Harmony or Oscar Schmidt) for 6.98 - 15.00 and genuine Washburn guitars from 18.00 tp 35.00 depending on the model. They also offered other brands before WWI and started with the supertones and stellas sometime just after WWI.

• Members

Originally posted by scoutll

Actually I have seen an old Sears Catalog from 1898 where they were selling their own special made guitars (probably Harmony or Oscar Schmidt) for 6.98 - 15.00 and genuine Washburn guitars from 18.00 tp 35.00 depending on the model. They also offered other brands before WWI and started with the supertones and stellas sometime just after WWI.

I bet they sounded KILLER!

• Members

Being surprised by this makes you look like you were born last week. WalMart is NOT the first to do this so get that out of your heads right now. Sears was selling guitars for decades, as far back as the 60s, maybe 50s. I remember as a kid in the early 80s I could've gotten a guitar for $40 or so (and I THINK it was at WalMart, don't quote me), yet most people talk as if this is new ground being covered here.

I was just having the same thoughts myself. Probably more guitars used to be sold through general stores and variety stores than musical instrument stores.

I bought my first electric guitar from an Air Force Base Exchange (basically a small variety store) back in the early 70's. It was a "Prestige", some Japanese Strat copy.

I guess the new thing here is seeing the Gibson name at variety stores. It will be a successful trend. Parents can grab the birthday or Christmas present for Junior while they're stocking up on laundry soap. :D

• Members

With the 'Siganture Series' pseudo-Gibsons, how many kids do you think will try to get Gibson decals to put on the headstocks?

Stupid 14-yr-old emo kid "Look, it's a real Gibson SG!"

Second 14-yr-old emo kid "Umm... why the top thingy look all scratchy?"

Stupid 14-yr-old emo kid "I uhhh... I uhhh... had trouble with the strings, yeah, the strings scratched it!"

Second 14-yr-old emo kid "Is the Gibson logo supposed to be all rippley?"

Stupid 14-yr-old emo kid "That's because it's.... a... uhhh.... a Custom! Yeah, A Custom!"

:rolleyes:

• Members

Sorta makes me wonder whether Gibby have been looking in on att the bitching folks do about "correct" headstock shapes and have decided to give it a go with this.... seems bizarre to me they'd do that with this and not something of the calibre of the Epi Elitists, tho maybe what they're saying is "The eltists are too good for that, we might lose too many sales to the "real" thing, but the Signature branded guitars aren't up to much, so they're no threat to the parent brand".....?

• Members

Great.. Now kids are gonna come up to me and go--

"Look at me Angus Young Guitar It's a real Gibson!! it says it on the box!!"

rather than the old

"Look at me Angus Young Guitar It's a real Gibson!! it says it on here (points to truss rod)"

Then they'll talk about all the money they seaved and how it was a 1 day only sale.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzztone

Here are my department store guitars from the 60's the red one is a Truetone from Western Auto and the Black one is a Silvertone from Sears:

RedandBlack.jpg

Ooooo! That Silvertone is sweet! They actually play pretty good to. I have a few old teisco's(I love Teisco guitars) but they all sound like poop, and play like poop. They look hella cool though!

• Members

Originally posted by Virgman

Questions to ask your WalMart / Target salesperson:

"Do you have any Gibson SG's ?"

Answer:

"Ma'am, we only have what's on the shelf."

"Does this Studio model come with a gig bag?"

Answer:

(Looks at box with puzzled expression)

"Uh, not sure. I just started here yesterday. Let me go find someone who knows." (Leaves and never returns. After several minutes you walk out in frustration.)

;)

I thought that was guitar center? ;)

EDIT: DOH! I WAS BEAT TO THE PUNCH...

• Members

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

In the 70s, Sears sold their own Sears brand name tube amp. They were made by Garnet(a canadian tube amp maker, who also made amps for Gibson), and they now get good resale value on Ebay.

• Members

Hey anyobdy read the warraty on these Gibson "Signature" guitars,, it really covers nothing except a wood crack that has no visable origin ( such as a hit mark)

Anyone that buys this thing will be just buying a throwaway guitar.

Heres the warranty;

GBME Limited 5-year Warranty

This new GBME instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for five (5) years from date of original purchase, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.

If at any time this GBME instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship, GBME will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate at its sole discretion. GBME reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, GBME will replace the instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

In the unlikely event that your instrument is destroyed, lost or damaged beyond repair, while in the possession of GBME for repair, GBME will replace that instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument. Any insurance covering the instrument, including but not limited to collector

Archived