target guitars!

Vere

• Members

ok, here is a camera phone pic. they've had guitars for a while, but can you see the following in the pic:

Pedals

WAH

amps

2 acoustics, 2 electrics and a bass

pedals were 40 for the distortion, 70 for the wah and 60 or 70 for the chorus. not exactly a deal for lyon by washburn.

• Members
Originally posted by Virgman

{censored}, first WalMart is selling Gibsons.

Now Target is doing it.

Pretty soon you'll be able to buy them at 7-Eleven.

:cool:

the walmart by me ain't selling gibsons... i know there was a big story about it in the future but ui have yet to see it, they do have a gazzillion first act guitars though...

• Members

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Being surprised by this makes you look like you were born last week. WalMart is NOT the first to do this so get that out of your heads right now. Sears was selling guitars for decades, as far back as the 60s, maybe 50s. I remember as a kid in the early 80s I could've gotten a guitar for $40 or so (and I THINK it was at WalMart, don't quote me), yet most people talk as if this is new ground being covered here.

Looks like a Charvel San Dimas, although I know it's not.

Originally posted by BowerR64

Target guitar

char_bullseye2.jpg

• Members

Questions to ask your WalMart / Target salesperson:

"Do you have any Gibson SG's ?"

Answer:

"Ma'am, we only have what's on the shelf."

"Does this Studio model come with a gig bag?"

Answer:

(Looks at box with puzzled expression)

"Uh, not sure. I just started here yesterday. Let me go find someone who knows." (Leaves and never returns. After several minutes you walk out in frustration.)

;)

• Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne

Sears was selling guitars for decades, as far back as the 60s, maybe 50s.

Sears even sold them about 100 years ago. My grandfather told me about a guitar he and a couple of his brothers bought mail order from them when he was a kid (he was born in 1895). Given that there were 8 boys in the family the guitar didn't last long though. They end up fighting over it and one of them gave another one the "el-kabong" treatment. :eek::D

• Members

I think it's cool how a lot of chain discount stores are selling guitars; having the guitars available at such stores has to be getting more people into guitar, which is always a cool thing. I can just image families doing some shopping at Wal-Mart or Target, and the kid, who otherwise would never get the opportunity to get a guitar, would beg his parents into buying it for him/her.

However, it's unfortunate that it is all such crap. It'll probably deter more people from guitar than attract them in the long run. But for some reason, I get the feeling that Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy don't care if they stick with guitar or not as long as they make their quick buck. I'm sure that the guitars are at least playable, but what are the parents going to do if the guitar plays like crap or doesn't work. They are sure as hell not going to know how to fix it or set it up; neither will anyone at Wal-Mart or Target. I have a feeling that they'll see a lot of returns.

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

Sears even sold them about 100 years ago. My grandfather told me about a guitar he and a couple of his brothers bought mail order from them when he was a kid (he was born in 1895). Given that there were 8 boys in the family the guitar didn't last long though. They end up fighting over it and one of them gave another one the "el-kabong" treatment.
:eek::D

I believe that Sear's better guitars, mandos, and banjos back in 19-ought-5 were made by Washburn.

• Members

Silvertone was a department store brand...I'm thinking either Sears or Montgomery Ward.

My grandpa has a mid 50's Silvertone hollowbody electric and a matching 5 watt tube amp that he gave a drunk $10 for back in the day. Both survived me as a child. Both still work to this day.

My first electric guitar back in the mid 80's was a Dean 'Firecrackle' that I got out of the Sears catalog.

• Members

Actually, guitar sales in general are the biggest category in music sales, and guitar sales are growing. It is surprising in this age of whatever-this-music-is, but guitars are big, on the high end and low end. Stats at

NAMM.

Sears is a great analogy - back in the early days of rock 'n' roll, for example, they sold way more guitars than music stores did, and today some (not all) Silvertone guitars and amps are worth a lot of money, both as collectors items and as great gear.

I'm sure small music stores can get affected by this, but they should be ready to supply proper setup, teachers, accessories, etc., that Target/Wal - Mart/etc. can not supply.

Archived