Micing bass cabs

• Members

Originally posted by PDRMANT

Originally posted by where02190

My method, which works wonderfully and is extremely efficient timewise, is to track direct, and when I'm doing post and mixing, I route the DI track through a
reamp interface
and dial in the perfect tone for the finished tracks, rather than spend endless time dialing in a guesswork amp tone.

Whoa, thats over my head and through the woods.

I think I understand the concept, but not the process.

Simple. Record chain is bass-DI-preamp-AD.

To reamp, bass track output-reamp-amplifier input-speaker. Put a mic in front of the speaker, plug into preamp, preamp to AD and record.

Once you have recorded the mic'd bass track, put it next to the DI, and expand the view so you can clearly see detail in the waveform. You'll notice the mic'd track is a couple MS behind the DI, that's due to latency. Simply grab the mic'd track and slip it back until it lines up with the DI. Also see if they are both in phase with eachother...inotherwords both waveforms go up and down at the same time, not opposing eachother.

The nicest thing about reamping is that you can save the decision about the amp tone for the mix, and you can tailor the tone to fit in with everything else better. :cool: The downside to reamping is that it allows you to avoid making a decision on the tone and put yet another decision off until the mix. ;):D

• Members

Exactly, Phil. When tracking basics, you often have no idea how the bass tone will work with the final tracks. I used to spend time dialing in a bass amp tone when tracking, often only to find it didn't work when mixing time came.

While you can't put off everything til mix, I think dialing in a solid bass tone is one of them that works well.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

One of the best recorded bass sounds I ever got was a P bass into an old Fender Princeton guitar amp. Volume on 2. Really quiet... but it sounded huge miced up.

guitar amps can do some cool {censored} with bass. I've been known to use guitar amp heads with bass cabs alot. I got a great sound using a P Bass into an Orange which then went to a cab with 2 10's and another cab with a 15 in it. The bass player loved it, fat with the perfect bite.

• Members

Lately I've been cloning the bass DI track and using an amp emulator plug-in on that track. I still reamp for certain stuff, but this is a real quick and cool alternative.

Also I like the guitar amp version of bass (like Lee's Princeton) and using that for the more pronounced mid-stuff alongside the Sansamp DI.

• Members

Your quote and your home location reminded me of the tone they got on the Sublime albums. Now that's an SVT in a room... miced. I could be wrong, but whenever I've miced up an SVT in a room... that's what I hear.

Something got into me. I went out and purchased a used SVT tube amp over the weekend. Call it full circle, back to the source, I'm blaming it on you. ;)

Archived