Gibson LP studios? are they worth the money?

StrykeBack

• Members

I stumbled into a guitar center today to play with some strats and teles but hanging over the fender deluxe i was going to use were 3 Gibson LP studios for around 11 or 1200. first one i tried this time around i couldn't put down. The neck felt really good and the pickups were amazing.

Whats the deal with these guitars that they cost half the or a third of the price of most usual gibson LPs? its not an import model is it? normally i find crappy freboard or neck or issues of some kinds but this one had me wishing i had money to burn.:(

• Members

personaly, you shouldnt ask this question on this forum because it wont get you anywhere.... on one hand the gibson elitists look down on the studio, because even though it has the same specs, the lack of binding really makes it an unworthy guitar, and then the import fans will steer you to buy a veneer top tokai or some epi elitist etc...

and then theres guys like me who actualy own a studio and love them, I can tell you they are great guitars, their components are top notch (same hardware and pickups as les paul custom and supreme), when I picked mine it was my favourite Les Paul in the store (well actualy a custom shop 58 historic in wine red was nicer but it cost 4500$ lol), it outplayed the standards I tried, and I fell in love with it, if you find one you like, buy it, you wont regret it...

as far as the price, its lower because it doesnt have binding, binding takes more time and more labour, as well they dont use figured tops, just a simple regular maple cap, otherwise its a just a regular les paul, go with your gut and dont listen to asinine comments, let your hands and ears make the decision:thu:

• Members

I own a bunch of Gibsons, both extremes, from Custom Shop to $749 Specials.

They are all GREAT guitars, but I hand picked them (except for my SG Classic) after playing a bunch. The LP Studios are made in the same place as the higher end production line gutars by the same people. They are generally very well made, but you will see a shoddy example hanging in a music store from time to time.

Check it over carefully. Take a tuner with you and make sure it plays and stays in tune. Sight down the neck--look for dips or high spots. Bend the strings on several positions along the fretboard. Play it clean and loud to check for microphonic pickups. Listen for dead spots along the fretboard. Feel along the edge of the fretboard for sharp fret ends (if you live in Colorado like I do, the wood on fretboards will shrink, so don't be overly picky, but use it as a negotiating point).

Ask for a good setup with a fresh set of strings before you take it home. These guitars have a lifetime warranty, but if you ever have to send it to the factory, arrange for a loaner. It takes them awhile.

• Members

Originally posted by StrykeBack

thanks alchemist thats some good points there. i'l look more seriously at them now especially after i've found a few really nice ones where i still haven't picked up a good custom lp that didn't feel worse then one of my agile or ibanez guitars
:wave:

Your welcome, Jeff has some great points too, I really love mine and I cant imagine not having it in my rig. I've also found that they are quite a bit lighter, I guess they are weight relieved, mine is ~8lbs, and its very resonant acousticaly, but like all gibsons there is a great variance between different models, so just try as many as you can and take the one that speaks to you.

• Members

I am a die-hard LP fan and one of the most "les paully" sounding guitar I've ever owned is my 97 Studio. I also have a 92 Custom as well as another 97 Studio. At one time I also owned a 76 Custom, a 57 reissue as well as a Classic and three different Standards all of which have been traded or sold.

LPwh.jpg

• Members

since your a couple of lp guys on here. what type is the studio neck? is it more of a 60s model thinner or the 50s type. I tried a 57 or something the other day and the neck seemed huge. didn't look huge but when i tried to play it it just felt like my hand was being pulled back. ugh. the studio felt thinner and more up my alley. though a custom fender strat with that C shape has always been my favorite.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

personaly, you shouldnt ask this question on this forum because it wont get you anywhere.... on one hand the gibson elitists look down on the studio, because even though it has the same specs, the lack of binding really makes it an unworthy guitar, and then the import fans will steer you to buy a veneer top tokai or some epi elitist etc...

and then theres guys like me who actualy own a studio and love them, I can tell you they are great guitars, their components are top notch (same hardware and pickups as les paul custom and supreme), when I picked mine it was my favourite Les Paul in the store (well actualy a custom shop 58 historic in wine red was nicer but it cost 4500$ lol), it outplayed the standards I tried, and I fell in love with it, if you find one you like, buy it, you wont regret it...

as far as the price, its lower because it doesnt have binding, binding takes more time and more labour, as well they dont use figured tops, just a simple regular maple cap, otherwise its a just a regular les paul, go with your gut and dont listen to asinine comments, let your hands and ears make the decision:thu:

Excelent post!!!

• Members

Gibson les paul studios are great guitars. they don't have the bindings, which some players find to be better looking. I played a couple of studio pluses and sounded and played excellent. theyre kind of like the Ibanez RG's of Gibson; the more affordable version of the higher end les pauls. they can sound just as good.

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

Gibson les paul studios are great guitars. they don't have the bindings, which some players find to be better looking. I played a couple of studio pluses and sounded and played excellent. theyre kind of like the Ibanez RG's of Gibson; the more affordable version of the higher end les pauls. they can sound just as good.

hehe thats what my rig consists of, I like simple designs, less binding less flash, I just care about the tone, I like the looks simple and tastefull, that being said I own a les paul studio, an RG570 (thats been modded to the point that my buddy with a jem is jealous lol), Ibanez Artstar-80 (pretty much John Scoffield model sans flame maple top and fancy inlays lol), when I get older and purchase guitars for more collectors value and looks I will buy some upgraded cosmetics packages, but now I need solid quality players:)

• Members

well these are the 2 in my arsenal right now:

the2ladies.jpg

My first guitar that I got a little over a year ago when i started playing guitar (was trained in classical piano for over 14 years),my first is one of the first of the ibanez SZ series that I had Baker, (just happened to stumble upon that amazing guitar maker and tech) mod a bit with push pull pots and for single coil sounds and we put dimarzio virtual vintage PAF in the neck and an airzone in the bridge. Ironically I can get an amazing LP tones out of it, especially leads, but the rhythms just don't have that woody chunk that i want from an LP, still needs a new nut and locking tuners put on.

Then the other is an Agile baritone that I put an 85/81 emg in replace of the stock actives. Came setup perfectly compared to the ibanez which needed work. Its in drop B though it came in A standard. only problem is they don't make a set of strings iwth it so i need a custom built set of earnie balls from 12 to 60.

I think an LP studio, oh yeah and a strat :thu:, would go great with these.

One quick ? do the studios hold their value at all compared to some LPs being worth some money or holding their value?

• Members

Well, I am an Epi LP Custom owner who spends WAY to much time at Guitar Center and play all of the Gibsons all the time. The neck is not a slim taper 60s neck at all. It is just a hair under the size of the 50s size neck, so it is a beefy neck. If you prefer slim taper necks, go with a Classic or Standard w/60s neck.

since your a couple of lp guys on here. what type is the studio neck? is it more of a 60s model thinner or the 50s type. I tried a 57 or something the other day and the neck seemed huge. didn't look huge but when i tried to play it it just felt like my hand was being pulled back. ugh. the studio felt thinner and more up my alley. though a custom fender strat with that C shape has always been my favorite.

• Members

Agile Baritone! Damn, how much did that cost ya, if don't mind me asking.

well these are the 2 in my arsenal right now:

the2ladies.jpg

My first guitar that I got a little over a year ago when i started playing guitar (was trained in classical piano for over 14 years),my first is one of the first of the ibanez SZ series that I had Baker, (just happened to stumble upon that amazing guitar maker and tech) mod a bit with push pull pots and for single coil sounds and we put dimarzio virtual vintage PAF in the neck and an airzone in the bridge. Ironically I can get an amazing LP tones out of it, especially leads, but the rhythms just don't have that woody chunk that i want from an LP, still needs a new nut and locking tuners put on.

Then the other is an Agile baritone that I put an 85/81 emg in replace of the stock actives. Came setup perfectly compared to the ibanez which needed work. Its in drop B though it came in A standard. only problem is they don't make a set of strings iwth it so i need a custom built set of earnie balls from 12 to 60.

I think an LP studio, oh yeah and a strat
:thu:
, would go great with these.

One quick ? do the studios hold their value at all compared to some LPs being worth some money or holding their value?

• Members

DOCJEF

Can you provide me with a definition of microphonic pickups? I have a G & L ASAT Special and when I'm tuning, the B string off of the G string the low E string starts to vibrate, which of course is amplified by the pick up and is very annoying. I would asssume this is a resonance problem not a pick up problem but pehaps I'm missing something.

Anyway, when I buy my next guitar I certainly want to check for microphonic pickups, so it would be helpful to know what to look/listen for.

Thanks

• Members

Agile Baritone! Damn, how much did that cost ya, if don't mind me asking.

If this were me asking that comment it would be loaded with sarcasm, especially since there is a flock of gibson owners here but i assure you its a very nice guitar...oh and it cost me around 330 or 350 brand new to my door from kurt at rondo. I heard they had gotten a new batch for the year a few months back and the price had gone up a bit. Wow it already increased in value :thu:

The studio i was playing didn't feel beefy at all! not compared to the 50s lps anyways. and the ibanez sz i have isn't a shreader neck at all, atleast i don't think so. its not like the s or jem or rg necks. a little more beef to it. perhaps thats why i like that middle ground on the lp studio as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Great post! :thu:

The Studio is a great workhorse.

All Gibsons are made in USA.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with LP Studios...however, like the other LP's, they're better buys bought used.

I got a LP Studio earlier this year off of eBay for a $450 BIN, but the majority of them sell for between $600-$800.

A good buy at those prices, but $1300 for a new one is too much IMO.

Archived