Why Don't I hear the Genius in these new bands?

sventvkg

• Members

Discussing which era of music is the best is the dumbest waste of time ever. It's always the geezers vs the young crowd. Geezers are intimidated by and hate new music, young people aren't interested in old {censored}. We can all agree though that the mainstream arena rock and prog of the 70's sucked {censored}.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA will not be anybody's classic music. It will be forgotten and slip away just like most modern music simply because for most "young people" music is a commodity to be enjoyed in the moment, then thrown away. It's all disposable with a half life of days or weeks, much like cell phones and computers. Obsolete in 6 months, throw it away, get a new one. That's the culture.

+1

• Members

Discussing which era of music is the best is the dumbest waste of time ever. It's always the geezers vs the young crowd. Geezers are intimidated by and hate new music, young people aren't interested in old {censored}. We can all agree though that the mainstream arena rock and prog of the 70's sucked {censored}.

No, it's the young people with the attention span of a gnat who now expect their music to be written, recorded, produced and distributed for free so they can get their ADHD groove on that suck. I'm sure you'll find just as many people that think the 70's proto-punk/pop, or any other _____(insert year and genre here) was a load of crap as well. There isn't any music that "sucks". Somebody likes it and listens to it.

I'm no geezer and I like it all. Frank Sinatra to Yes, Duran Duran to Soundgarden, Tina Turner to Mastodon. If by geezer you mean a dude that likes to pay artists for their work, then yes, that's me. Color me geezafied.

There's some good stuff out there, even the pop. Adele, Pink...hell even Katy Perry... I don't know if any of these people will be household hames in 20 to 40 years though.

• Members

If it weren't for the birth of punk, the 70's would be the most useless era of music ever. Total garbage.

The "underground" glam and punk of the 70's was awesome. The popular, mainstream prog and classic rock {censored} was total {censored}.

I find this post insulting, coming right after mine. It's almost like an attack. Yes, I'm a big boy and I'll get over it, I don't understand why you feel the need to be insulting. We're just having a conversation. There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion, but you can do it without attacking someone else's.

• Members

There is a disconnect to be sure . Craft isn't something you become proficient at easily .

Obviously there is a lack of understanding and appreciation.
I'm not buying that people are so shallow that they only like music that was around when they came of age . I found one of my most favorite bands in my late thirties.

I know that this debate will solve nothing , The assertion that time is the only test that's valid is true , so any yardstick of how truly successfull the artist of an era were at making their mark can only come from a distance to be sure.

BUT , if you are writing stuff , and don't give a dam about wheter the stuff you create will stand the test of time, then you are merely a hack . And don't believe that even if your stuff is a temporary fashion , and is popular for a time that you have been successfull compared to REAL timeless classics ....... You are a hack never the less.

There is a reason that people young and old still gravitate to the cream . It's been some 45 years and the beatles are still selling ... Maybe we should spend our efforts trying to emulate that aspect of their success ; If we are willing to take on that challenge , then maybe there will be less discussions such as this one happening !!!!!!!

• Members

Looking at the top 100 from Billboard in 1965 I can confirm that today's pop music blows.

Not bad.

Well, the Captain and Tennille were #1, but Kung Fu Fighting was #14, so all is good with the world.

Pretty good year, but the Captain and Tennille are up there once again. Fact is they had a wildly popular TV show, so I'm not surprised.

All in all, pop music today seems to geared towards a much younger crowd, and there are a lot more divisions and genre's now, when previously it would have all been pushed together.

There's good artists out there, it's just harder to find them because of the enormous mountains of junk, both corporate and indie.

Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA will not be anybody's classic music. It will be forgotten and slip away just like most modern music simply because for most "young people" music is a commodity to be enjoyed in the moment, then thrown away. It's all disposable with a half life of days or weeks, much like cell phones and computers. Obsolete in 6 months, throw it away, get a new one. That's the culture.

Yea there was always pop drivel but the charts were NEVER indicative of what was good. Dylan was RARELY on the charts...Early Springsteen? I'm just saying..I think there is a lot of good music out there but almost none of it is mainstream in ANY GENRE at present.

• Members

I used to be able to go to Sound Click from here at work but its restricted now. Before it became restricted, I used to listen to what people, unknown people were putting down out there. Sure there was dross but there was a lot of interesting new stuff in many genres. People are still doing it, still making music but it just isn't breaking through on all the old paths and that is what has changed, the paths to being heard or "making it" are gone and that has been covered here, ad infinitum. The internet has a lot to answer for. You have to seek it, (the music you want to hear), out now but its still there

• Members

I find this post insulting, coming right after mine. It's almost like an attack. Yes, I'm a big boy and I'll get over it, I don't understand why you feel the need to be insulting. We're just having a conversation. There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion, but you can do it without attacking someone else's.

Exactly..Punk music is {censored}. I have never met a punk musician who could play, much less write, or sing well..If you consider Cobain punk, than he is the only one. The 70's were {censored}ing awesome for music in general but there's {censored} in every era to wade through.

• Members

There is a disconnect to be sure . Craft isn't something you become proficient at easily .

I'm not buying that people are so shallow that they only like music that was around when they came of age . I found one of my most favorite bands in my late thirties.

I know that this debate will solve nothing , The assertion that time is the only test that's valid is true , so any yardstick of how truly successfull the artist of an era were at making their mark can only come from a distance to be sure.

BUT , if you are writing stuff , and don't give a dam about wheter the stuff you create will stand the test of time, then you are merely a hack . And don't believe that even if your stuff is a temporary fashion , and is popular for a time that you have been successfull compared to REAL timeless classics ....... You are a hack never the less.

There is a reason that people young and old still gravitate to the cream . It's been some 45 years and the beatles are still selling ... Maybe we should spend our efforts trying to emulate that aspect of their success ; If we are willing to take on that challenge , then maybe there will be less discussions such as this one happening !!!!!!!

{censored}ING SPOT ON!!!!!

• Members

Exactly..Punk music is {censored}. I have never met a punk musician who could play, much less write, or sing well..If you consider Cobain punk, than he is the only one. The 70's were {censored}ing awesome for music in general but there's {censored} in every era to wade through.

Cobain couldn't sing, write, or play.

Your biased logic = seriously flawed and therefore moot.

• Members

{censored} the Beatles. People like them because they think they're supposed to. Like Michael Jackson. If selling records is the only reason you make music, then you're a hack. Or a sell-out. Probably both.

• Members

Looking at the top 100 from Billboard in 1965 I can confirm that today's pop music blows.

Not bad.

Well, the Captain and Tennille were #1, but Kung Fu Fighting was #14, so all is good with the world.

And this is a bad thing because??? I'm thrilled with the correction of pop music back to where it belongs: Disposable shlock with a half life of days or weeks.

The idea that the music that comes out of the radio should have some kinda high-minded or socially redeeming artistic value is some bull{censored} baggage thrust upon the culture by dope-smoking, draft-dodging Baby Boomer's that took Sgt. Pepper's way to {censored}ing seriously. Popular music is not important. Adult people understood that four or five decades ago. But you morons were tricked into thinking otherwise by some of the most {censored}ing brilliant marketers this planet has ever seen.

Pop music is and should be the Pixy stix of mass art.

• Members

{censored} the Beatles. People like them because they think they're supposed to. Like Michael Jackson. If selling records is the only reason you make music, then you're a hack. Or a sell-out. Probably both.

Dude, you are so outlandish and fringe in your opinion that it's become very very entertaining to me...:))) PLEASE continue to spew!!! give me more...This is great .

• Members
And this is a bad thing because??? I'm thrilled with the correction of pop music back to where it belongs: Disposable shlock with a half life of days or weeks.

The idea that the music that comes out of the radio should have some kinda high-minded or socially redeeming artistic value is some bull{censored} baggage thrust upon the culture by dope-smoking, draft-dodging Baby Boomer's that took Sgt. Pepper's way to {censored}ing seriously. Popular music is not important. Adult people understood that four or five decades ago. But you morons were tricked into thinking otherwise by some of the most {censored}ing brilliant marketers this planet has ever seen.

Pop music is and should be the Pixy stix of mass art.

Um, no. I'll tell you what, you can have that stuff - I'll take the more interesting stuff thanks.

• Members

Cobain COULD play sing and write.....You're wrong. But opinions are like assholes as you know. You have yours and that's cool.

If you think Cobain could play, sing, and write, but you think punk requires none of that or it's participants are incapable of musicianship, then you are clueless about punk and once again your opinion is moot. Cobain sucked, even by punk standards. It's cool if you hate punk, but at least come up with better reasons.

• Members
Dude, you are so outlandish and fringe in your opinion that it's become very very entertaining to me...
:)
)) PLEASE continue to spew!!! give me more...This is great .

I know my opinions are unpopular. I guess that happens when you're not a suckass. :)

• Members

I was going to say something about how actually I think Cobain could write, sing and play pretty well AND that there are plenty of punk musicians who can play - but I guess there's no point. The lord Greg hath spoken and verily we are all awestruck and contrite.

Archived