Why Don't I hear the Genius in these new bands?

sventvkg

• Members
Greg is a funny dude..Definitely has a contrary opinion to most and that's cool. The only thing that bothers people here about that is the fact that he should just realize he's on the edge and most people aren't going to agree with him but instead he chooses to fight everyone and try to prove that he's in fact the enlightened one. The rest of us are somehow clueless...I find this amusing as I told him:)

Greg, I say chill brother..
:cool:

I'm chill, dude. I don't want anyone to agree with me and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I just speak my mind. Is that okay? If people like you guys agreed with me, I'd have to rethink everything.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I appreciate the heartfelt concern , but I'm not angry ;

In addition to being the resident cynic , I have been rewarded for my stellar performance in that capacity around here ................

Now , I am given the additional duties of being the cluttered rhetoric-logical fallacy police ..... I can already guess who will be spending the most time in the lock up
:cop:

Um yeah, okay, internet cop. Congrats on your high perch over a tiny corner of the internet. :lol:

• Members

So if someone challenges you, Greg, you become even more insulting. I've seen this game many times. It's actually very clever. You insult people and then either you get to back them down like a bully does, so you win, OR you get to suck them into an argument/confrontation, which you obviously enjoy, so you win. Obviously this is very entertaining for you. Is this what got you banned from the drum forum? How many forums have you been banned from? Did you get banned from the songwriting forum, too, or was that some other troll? Just curious.

You offered me two alternatives - hide from you, or get really upset. Here's a third one - maybe I can get you to be insulting enough to get you banned from here. Might work. You're not upsetting me. I know you want to. It's not working. This has become a case study to me - what IS the best way to handle a troll?

Everyone else will certainly get tired of this thread, with us going back and forth, you being insulting, and me pointing it out over and over. But see, you're a bully and a troll. And I don't back down. Maybe the mod gets sick enough of both of us to ban us both. It would be worth it. So please insult me again, so I can point it out.

• Members
So if someone challenges you, Greg, you become even more insulting. I've seen this game many times. It's actually very clever. You insult people and then either you get to back them down like a bully does, so you win, OR you get to suck them into an argument/confrontation, which you obviously enjoy, so you win. Obviously this is very entertaining for you. Is this what got you banned from the drum forum? How many forums have you been banned from? Did you get banned from the songwriting forum, too, or was that some other troll? Just curious.

You offered me two alternatives - hide from you, or get really upset. Here's a third one - maybe I can get you to be insulting enough to get you banned from here. Might work. You're not upsetting me. I know you want to. It's not working. This has become a case study to me - what IS the best way to handle a troll?

Everyone else will certainly get tired of this thread, with us going back and forth, you being insulting, and me pointing it out over and over. But see, you're a bully and a troll. And I don't back down. Maybe the mod gets sick enough of both of us to ban us both. It would be worth it. So please insult me again, so I can point it out.

Lol @ bully. Lol @ troll. Lol @ case studies. Get over yourself. We disagree. That's all. A disagreement. You, I assume a grown man, feeling bullied on the internet (LOL!) and trolled is your own pitiful, miserable insecurity. Look at your posts. Lol. Are you always this whiny when someone disagrees with you? Look how you're dragging this nonsense on and on and on with phonebook sized self-affirmations, thinly veiled passive-aggressive insults, hypocrisy, and defensive delusions. I swear, life must kick your ass daily. :facepalm:

• Members

You forget, troll, it wasn't just me. You annoyed 3 other people. They just decided you weren't worth the effort. Well, except flatfinger - he kept going, too. In a battle of logic and wits with me, you're sorely mismatched. You're probably not sure what to do when someone won't back down and give you the last word. I can tell you're not used to it because you're getting angry. I am down to your level, in a way, troll... since I already explained everything to you in a long post that you didn't bother to read, I figured I'd better dumb it down a bit. No big words or anything. Perhaps this will help:

troll_spray.jpg

• Members

Lol @ the guy that cried about insults throwing them around like theyre mardi gras beads.

So, let's see. You've gone from: whiny, sensitive, scared, delusional, defensive, angry, and now we can add hypocritical to the list of Internet personality disorders that you've exhibited in this thread alone. You're like all seven of the dwarves at snow white's bipolar cottage rolled into one nutcase. All because you couldn't handle one guys opinion. Keep up the good work!

So 3 or 4 people disagreed with me. Big deal! It happens. Not everyone thinks the same way, no matter how bad you want them to. They got over it. Why can't you?

• Members

*Ghost of Cliftonb says*

"Liiiisteennn to better baaaaaannnds....baaanndds....baands....ba...."

LOL!

First off, Greg, you win. I've added you to my ignore list. I see you posted at 6:59 PM last night. I never read your last post.

I apologize to the rest of the forum. I enjoy debating ideas and concepts here and reading about other people's opinions. I can't believe I got sucked into a back and forth with a Troll. It's like getting into an argument with a kid - if you allow the argument to happen, you've already lost. You can't win an argument with a Troll, because they enjoy the argument, and they don't listen to you.

Anyway - One of the big arguments about the current music scene is that the labels aren't taking chances any more, and so some acts who might go on to do great things won't get a chance because they're not funded. This is a theory - time will tell if it ends up being true. I think it will have a negative impact, but there are people who will make great music without the massive funding, because technology now allows them too. It's not like the past where you couldn't afford a string session so your song did without strings. What will happen is the musicians who embrace technology will have a large advantage over those who don't. Those who don't will still be playing by the old rules.

But this goes back to flatfinger's jack of all trades argument - if the musician is spending all of their time doing online marketing and all that stuff, how will they find time to learn all the techie stuff, let alone get better at writing songs? I dunno. Maybe we'll see a boom in the home studio business again.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey guys I'm a new member I'm only 20 years old so yes I grew up on backstreet boys and Eminem but in the past few years I have expanded my musical tastes by a lot. I have read this entire thread (and many more other threads) and my opinion is that there is plenty of good music nowadays but yeah not so much mainstream. I am definitely not your average music listener I go out of my way to find new artists (or old artists Ive never heard) and if you want to listen to some very talented musicians making music today I'll list some of my favorites and let me know if you agree

Fair to Midland
Karnivool - themata
Pendulum - immersion
Snarky Puppy - I know weird name but they are very cool instrumental jazz-ish new music

These are just a few examples of new music that I think is very good emotional and technical music also while ive been reading this thread I decided to look up local musicians around me and found Chris Bathgate who I am definitely going to go see one of his shows soon he has some great folk type music

Sorry for the long post but I strongy believe that great music is out there it just takes some looking.

and sven I'd love to hear some of the songwriters you mention from Nashville that aren't writing the country "hits" but actually writing good music

Archived