Why Don't I hear the Genius in these new bands?

sventvkg

• Members

Like The Avett Brothers, Arcade Fire, Decemberists, Death Cab, or anything really....?? I do compare the songs to the classic artists, it's true. I'm just not hearing the craft and hooks, the musicianship and above all vocal skill. The songs don't burrow into my heart and soul. I just can't FEEL the music. It doesn't speak to me AT ALL.....I'm only 39 and this is very distressing to me. It's EXTREMELY difficult to find anything that Speaks to me out there yet when I go to songwriter's nights in Nashville I hear it in abundance. Classic Great songs with melody, harmony, great lyrics...Believe me, I still like to rock too, but again in that genre I hear NOTHING for me....{censored}, I've gotten old and my tastes are so refined now.....I listen to EVERYTHING That i hear a buzz about out there, so I'm sure you understand how distressing this is to a songwriter and musician like me...How about you?

They speak to a different generation than you. Sorry but you're pushing 40.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One good song, and you don't have to work for the rest of your life.

So why should an artist make more songs, to get richer and not being at home with the family and not seeing his kids grow up?

How does that work when no one buys recorded music -let alone physical media- anymore ??? No mechanical licensing , no revenues for songwriters ....... Unless it is placed on TV or in a movie , what kind of residual income will there be ?? Touring and performing are not going to facilitate seeing Jr. grow up .

• Members

How does that work when no one buys recorded music -let alone physical media- anymore ??? No mechanical licensing , no revenues for songwriters ....... Unless it is placed on TV or in a movie , what kind of residual income will there be ?? Touring and performing are not going to facilitate seeing Jr. grow up .

???

The songwriters income - there isn't any difference if his music is bought as physical carrier, or digital download.

• Members
Nah, the secret to today's music is not mixing genres...it is hitting the LCD with happy tunes, forgettable pop fluff, or pseudo-gritty gangsta-wannabe BS...and
that
is why we hear no genius: the need for genius is eliminated from the process....see my prior post regarding true mediocrity
;)

total nonsense!

people are even willing to pay $40-50 for one CD made by small record companies in highest quality, most often also downloadable as 24-bit.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

This whole "today's music isn't good anymore" is retarded. It's like saying Warm Sunny Days Were Warmer and Sunnier when I was a kid.

When do people connect? When they have something in common. Who makes popular music and who is it made for? Young people. The music is young people music made for young people.

If you don't dig Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus or understand the power of it - it's because you're not a 13-year-old girl. In 30 years, that song will be that grouchy 43-year-old's Peggy Sue; and Party in the USA is equivalent to Peggy Sue on almost every level - it's a smart dance song made for teenagers.

And if you can't see the connection between that song (and other recent chart-toppers) and the classic pop we all know and love then you don't know anything about popular music.

• Members
If you don't dig Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus or understand the power of it - it's because you're not a 13-year-old girl. In 30 years, that song will be that grouchy 53-year-old's Peggy Sue

Is the 53 year old woman grouchy because she's aged 40 years and only 30 years have passed? :lol:

• Members
This whole "today's music isn't good anymore" is retarded. It's like saying Warm Sunny Days Were Warmer and Sunnier when I was a kid.

When do people connect? When they have something in common. Who makes popular music and who is it made for? Young people. The music is young people music made for young people.

If you don't dig Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus or understand the power of it - it's because you're not a 13-year-old girl. In 30 years, that song will be that grouchy 43-year-old's Peggy Sue; and Party in the USA is equivalent to Peggy Sue on almost every level - it's a smart dance song made for teenagers.

And if you can't see the connection between that song (and other recent chart-toppers) and the classic pop we all know and love then you don't know anything about popular music.

Lol. What? :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

When people talk about how horrible music is now, it kinda makes me wonder where they’ve been for the past 15 years. A lot of current pop music just seems to be regurgitation of styles from the past three decades. That can be both a good and a bad thing. But there have been no radical changes in music from what I’ve heard that spells the end of anything.

When I run through my mind the stuff that was being played on MTV in say, 1999 (back when they still played videos), I remember a lot of crap, and I’m not merely talking Britney Spears and N*Sync. (Limp Bizkit anyone?) In fact, the TV show I saw recently about “One-hit wonders from the 90s” actually refreshed my memory of just how much crap there was back then. Fast forward to now, I feel the musical landscape has actually improved in the last 10 years. In the mainstream, at least we have actual songs with actual melodies (albeit often autotuned, but at least they’re there), rather than just rapping over a beat, which seemed to dominate for so long. We’ve now got Adele, Ceelo, Bruno Mars, Pink, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga,--a lot of these artists are musicians and songwriters too. Not to mention a lot of the indie bands and artists who are making noise these days—Mumford and Sons, Florence + the Machine, Arcade Fire, Phoenix, the Decemberists, etc. (all of whom really aren’t that far outside the mainstream).

Sure, if you are using the 50s and 60s as your benchmark, you might as well give up, because there probably will never be a time like that in music again. But I’m pleased to say I seem to like a greater percentage of what I’m hearing now than I did in the recent past, and my musical tastes have never been what anyone would call “cool” or “cutting edge”. So I consider that a good sign.

The music business may be going down the crapper, to put it bluntly, but I don’t believe the music itself is.

I think part of what happened is that “Rock” (by which I mean not the genre, but all popular music from 1955 onward) sort of grew and evolved the way a human being does. In its beginning, it grew in leaps and bounds just like a child does—styles changed rapidly from one year to the next. Now rock is an adult. It really doesn’t have any growing left to do. There may be artists that are mixing things up in unique ways, but the raw ingredients are already established. There’s very little ground left to break. The prevailing point of view is that everything in music has and, perhaps more importantly, can be done.

• Members

I think you have it about right kurdy.

There are two key differences now as I see it. Firstly, as you suggested, there was such an explosion of creativity, growth and change in the 50's, 60's and 70's that it's harder and harder for any new ground to be broken now. The other (related) point is that music is much less important now than it was. Sure, people still listen to music, go to gigs, some even buy albums - but you don't have the mass anticipation of a new release by [insert your favourite artist here] that has everyone talking about it in the media or at the office, the factory floor, the college bar or the school playground. Once it was pretty common to almost define yourself by the music you listened to. Outside of certain sub-genres (metal perhaps), that really doesn't happen now.

I'm no kid any more and it's probably true that the music I loved as an adolescent is usually going to mean more to me than anything I hear today BUT in my opinion, there is some very good music around now, probably just as much as there's ever been.

• Members

Sure, if you are using the 50s and 60s as your benchmark, you might as well give up, because there probably will never be a time like that in music again.

You meant to say the 60's and the 70's, right? LOL!

This "moving scale" of when the "greatest" music was is dependent on when one was born, I think. To me, the 50's music is a slight curiosity, but certainly there's nothing from the 50's that I feel the need to purchase. When I think of the 50's I think of doo/do wop (all of it sounds the same and it's all silly sounding) and I think of first generation like "Rock around the Clock" (which sounds amusing and silly.) I also think about the crooners, and they're silly too. These people may have started rock and roll, but their early efforts are... well, silly sounding, in modern context.

Most of the 60's was crap, too, but it gave us wicked important artists like The Beatles (who changed everything,) Hendrix (who is still influencing people today,) The Doors, and a ton of other great bands that laid the real foundations for the music that I actually like.

And of course the 70's was the era of some really good singer/songwriters, classic rock bands, and the best prog rock.

But I could see someone dissing the 60's - a whole lot of 60's music was drugged out mindless meandering by people who barely knew how to play their instruments, or were just copying what they were hearing from real acts. I can see today's kids not liking The Beatles... though it seems, oddly, that they DO like them. Today's kids seem a lot more accomodating in their musical tastes than previous generations. I can tell you that when I was a pre-teen, most kids didn't like The Beatles because it was "their parent's music." They were "old." I kid you not.

So it's all relative, is what I'm saying, to when you were born. But one has to wonder if that will ever stop.

• Members

And of course the 70's was the era of some really good singer/songwriters, classic rock bands, and the best prog rock.

If it weren't for the birth of punk, the 70's would be the most useless era of music ever. Total garbage.

The "underground" glam and punk of the 70's was awesome. The popular, mainstream prog and classic rock {censored} was total {censored}.

• Members

You meant to say the 60's and the 70's, right? LOL!

This "moving scale" of when the "greatest" music was is dependent on when one was born, I think. To me, the 50's music is a slight curiosity, but certainly there's nothing from the 50's that I feel the need to purchase. When I think of the 50's I think of doo/do wop (all of it sounds the same and it's all silly sounding) and I think of first generation like "Rock around the Clock" (which sounds amusing and silly.) I also think about the crooners, and they're silly too. These people may have started rock and roll, but their early efforts are... well, silly sounding, in modern context.

Most of the 60's was crap, too, but it gave us wicked important artists like The Beatles (who changed everything,) Hendrix (who is still influencing people today,) The Doors, and a ton of other great bands that laid the real foundations for the music that I actually like.

But I could see someone dissing the 60's - a whole lot of 60's music was drugged out mindless meandering by people who barely knew how to play their instruments, or were just copying what they were hearing from real acts. I can see today's kids not liking The Beatles... though it seems, oddly, that they DO like them. Today's kids seem a lot more accomodating in their musical tastes than previous generations. I can tell you that when I was a pre-teen, most kids didn't like The Beatles because it was "their parent's music." They were "old." I kid you not.

So it's all relative, is what I'm saying, to when you were born. But one has to wonder if that will ever stop.

Well, I'm 32. The only reason I cited 50s and 60s was because it seems to be consensus among popular culture that those decades are untouchable--the 50s with the founding of rock 'n roll, and the 60s with the Beatles and Dylan, and all the innovation of that era. The 70s gets slagged often because of disco, though that seems to be changing, and the 80s gets a bad rap because of all the hair metal, bad fashion and radio pop schlock. Yet, personally, my favorite era would probably be the early 70s, because of all the classic singer/songwriters that were taking off at that time, and that was before I was even born. When I was younger, I was probably more partial to the 80s. But there certainly is music I like from every decade.

The thing I like the most about 50s to mid 60s pop is that there was an emphasis on being concise and to-the-point, and keeping songs under four minutes long--and that what I've been paying more attention to in my own writing lately. Somewhere along the line, songs just got longer, and longer, and longer--we've never quite gotten away from that, I think.

But yeah, for me it's the early 70s, definitely.

• Members

If it weren't for the birth of punk, the 70's would be the most useless era of music ever. Total garbage.

The "underground" glam and punk of the 70's was awesome. The popular, mainstream prog and classic rock {censored} was total {censored}.

Well maybe some of it. I'm not going to classify Led Zep or Pink Floyd in that category, or the Stooges, early Roxy Music, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Cpt Beefheart, Pere Ubu ... I could go on.

Punk did give everything a well overdue kick up the arse I'll grant you. The 70's was an odd time - but in some ways it was just trying to find ways to move forward from the explosion of the 60's and, of course, it took some wrong* turns.

*wrong being in the ears of the beholder, obviously

• Members

The thing I like the most about 50s to mid 60s pop is that there was an emphasis on being concise and to-the-point, and keeping songs under four minutes long--and that what I've been paying more attention to in my own writing lately. Somewhere along the line, songs just got longer, and longer, and longer--we've never quite gotten away from that, I think.

I agree with this. If I'm writing a song and it creeps up on 4 minutes, I'm usually looking to start trimming the fat. I don't listen to long songs, I'm not writing long songs. I have the attention span of a gnat, and I like it that way.

• Members

I agree with this. If I'm writing a song and it creeps up on 4 minutes, I'm usually looking to start trimming the fat. I don't listen to long songs, I'm not writing long songs. I have the attention span of a gnat, and I like it that way.

A.D.D. is an epidemic and can explain why there is so many crap out there - its all about showing your tits to get your 15 minutes of fame... Ugly artists with real talent do not stand a chance like in the past. Bands do not get the chance to develop as artists because they get dumped after 1 or 2 albums.

• Members

A.D.D. is an epidemic and can explain why there is so many crap out there - its all about showing your tits to get your 15 minutes of fame... Ugly artists with real talent do not stand a chance like in the past. Bands do not get the chance to develop as artists because they get dumped after 1 or 2 albums.

Summary please.

• Members

Looking at the top 100 from Billboard in 1965 I can confirm that today's pop music blows.

Not bad.

Well, the Captain and Tennille were #1, but Kung Fu Fighting was #14, so all is good with the world.

Pretty good year, but the Captain and Tennille are up there once again. Fact is they had a wildly popular TV show, so I'm not surprised.

All in all, pop music today seems to geared towards a much younger crowd, and there are a lot more divisions and genre's now, when previously it would have all been pushed together.

There's good artists out there, it's just harder to find them because of the enormous mountains of junk, both corporate and indie.

Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA will not be anybody's classic music. It will be forgotten and slip away just like most modern music simply because for most "young people" music is a commodity to be enjoyed in the moment, then thrown away. It's all disposable with a half life of days or weeks, much like cell phones and computers. Obsolete in 6 months, throw it away, get a new one. That's the culture.

Archived